Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Mens Basketball Bucks: What I Know So Far

+11 HS
Blackcoffee's picture
November 18, 2017 at 4:11am
36 Comments

I am watching from a distance. They are 3-0. They have a point guard, CJ Jackson, who can force his game too much sometimes, but when settled, can direct the offense, 'somewhat' beat the press, and appears to be streaky from 3 point land.

Tate and Keita Bates-Diop, they are the survivors. Diop may have gained the 'mean' edge this year, which will spell significant trouble for opposing teams, already has to date. We have always been in awe of his length and how difficult it is for opposing teams to matchup with him, but many of us have thought he was just a little too 'low-key' to really lay waste to the opposition. Honestly, he is just a low-key type of guy, but he apparently has found a groove in Holtman's system that is allowing him to reach higher potential in his game, and as for the higher-key energy, Tate has been this guy for all the years he has played. He is still a 6'4" beast under the rim, he still inspires no ones confidence when he steps back to take a three, his free throw shooting I expect to improve under Holtman.

Micah Potter. He is becoming what many here thought last year he could become. More confident under the boards, able to step out hit a shot away from the basket, capable of making opposing teams worry. He was a beast vs Texas Southern!( when Caleb Wesson was serving time on the bench.)

Musa Jallow(he deserves to be mentioned amongst the first 5. The hype train has already left the station

word

Kam Williams, I have always appreciated the energy he used to bring off the bench in his first couple seasons, he seems to find his touch when hes in this role, but when in the starting five, he disappears on offense, he has never been great off the dribble. He is definitely not a point guard, so he needs to be the shooting guard, but sheesh, hes so friggin inconsistent where he should be manhanding some of the defenders on this out of conference part of the schedule.

Caleb Wesson, could have used the experience playing against a big body guy like Texas Southern had. He is gonna learn by fire this year, because lawdy hes gonna square off against some big bodied players the rest of the season. But if he can play the middle and not be the foul magnet aka Trevor Thompson and who? ah yes, Daniel Giddens(sorry to dredge up the past), then at the collegiate level his ceiling is limitless. Hes def got the touch around the basket, and as Potter, can also step away and pop it. More unexpected worries for B1G opponents this year.

Tre Wesson. He wasn't looked at as a scoring machine when he started playing last year. But I think he can really be a key role player in Holtmans system, and I my thinking is that he would have floundered in the system being implemented prior to this years.

Dakich is gonna play. He is steady, not the 'wow' factor guard. Not a scoring machine. His attitude and hustle outstanding, and what he may not provide in a game, he will def provide in practice.

Kyle Young, who Holtman swiped away from Butler, I do not think they want to rush the process. He sits behind Tre Wesson on the lineup card, and hes still young, so there is no rush. With that said, when he starts to get more playing time it will be because the staff knows he can provide a good big bodied player around the boards both offensively and defensively, and who can also score. Something to look forward to this year, or certainly next year.

OMG! Did I just express interest in a 3-0 Basketball team ? A team that will probably be favored to go 4-0 after Sunday, but with matchups coming down the road where they will definitely be playing the role of young upstarts not expected to win? What can I say? Last year I stopped getting up at 2 or 3 AM on a Tuesday to watch a nail biter vs Nebraska. Call it a cumulative effect from the previous years, but thats another story. Lets just say now that I am cautiously optimistic about this years team, because the prettty much unanimous consensus to date is that at least they are showing up to play ball for 40 minutes...whoa! Go Bucks!

p.s. this is just an amatuerish observation from 8000 miles and via pirated streams of BTN, on a football rainy day in Columbus vs Illinois, but maybe a good time to talk basketball

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments