College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Why Sam Webb is a Harbaugh Mouthpiece (and Why He is a Hypocrite)

+64 HS
TheOracle's picture
October 29, 2023 at 9:28am
81 Comments

I've been mentally debating the merits of sharing any information about Sam since there is no righteous universe where the response to an unethical dox is to reciprocate in like measure. Thus, I'm going to be very intentional in what I say so as to hopefully not cross any ethical lines:

• The absurdity of Webb publishing anything about Day's family is the absolute height of hypocrisy. SAM'S WIFE, DONICE, IS EMPLOYED BY THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN. If Sam Webb does not write exactly what Harbaugh's team wants him to write, then his wife will lose her job. Harbaugh and his minions are not exactly opaque in their messaging to TTUN State Media: No better friend, no worse enemy (Translation: Cross me, and find out.)
  • I'll repeat this again: Sam Webb's wife is employed by the University of Michigan is a position that pays her $22,000 more per year than her peer equivalent colleagues. She is an "office manager" earning $68,000 per year (as of last available documentation) and the average annual compensation for her similarly titled peers is $46,000. This is a textbook power play and influence move. $22,000 is absolutely nothing to UM, but it is a meaningful amount to assert influence on a family's finances.
  • Sam makes very little money from 24/7. 24/7 pays garbage. The only person who made money from 24/7 was Shannon Terry when he sold it to CBS. Shannon Terry is a grifter who no self-respecting journalist should ever choose to trust. (If you don't believe me, ask Birm and Ward about Shannon, his business practices, and how he views actual journalism.) Sam also has a deal with Cumulus for his radio show but, again, local radio pays peanuts. I would be stunned to learn that Sam cumulatively (i.e., between both his 24/7 and Cumulus radio gigs) makes more than his wife.
  • In other words, Sam Webb is financially connected and obligated to the University of Michigan. This FACT is something that any self-respecting journalist would absolutely acknowledge, announce, and repeatedly disclose - especially when it comes to reporting on conflicted topics such as, I don't know, reporting on your wife's employer!
  • Needless to say, Sam is not remotely a "real" journalist. I'm not being a school or education snob. There is definitely a school of life pathway to reporting, but Sam is 46 years old and of the age where the overwhelming majority of professional reporters went to J-School. If you ask Sam about his educational background or qualifications to be a reporter, he'll tell you that he "studied" at the University of Michigan.
  • This disclosure, in and of itself, IF IT WERE TRUE, should also trigger disclosure. Any serious, credible reporter will disclose that they are an alum of a particular university when covering that university to preemptively mitigate claims of conflict. Sam does not disclose his "studying" at UM - probably because it's a hot pile of BS. UM has no undergraduate records of Sam Webb (or Samuel Webb, or Samuel J Webb, or any reasonable derivatives, etc.) with a matching birthdate or SS#. My suspicion is that Sam attended some sort of certificate or adult education program at UM and thus claims this as "studying at the University of Michigan." My point is not J-School snobbery. My point is that Sam Webb is not a journalist, has no academic training in journalism, and knows nothing about journalistic ethics or sourcing standards.
  • I previously referred to Sam as an acolyte. This description is true. Sam is also a sycophant. But the description that best describes Sam is that he is a flack - he is a mouthpiece for Harbaugh with absolutely no ethics or integrity. His sole job is to push Harbaugh's narrative.
  • How did it get this way? Why are Webb and Balas so compromised? You have to understand the culture (or lack thereof) that has been allowed to suppurate at TTUN since Harbaugh's arrival. UM was DESPERATE - they let Harbaugh get away with anything/everything. Thus, media access was severely restricted to the program. You only had access to players, coaches, staffers, etc. if you "played ball" with Harbaugh. If you reported one cross word about Harbaugh or the program, then you lost ALL access. Harbaugh is a vindictive MF'r when it comes to reporting. If you dare say a single negative thing about him, he will push to end your career. I mean this: He will push to have you and your family suffer.
  • This also works in reverse. If Harbaugh wants to "own" you, well, then your wife with no specific professional qualifications or experience or academic pedigree beyond a HS diploma magically has her salary doubled to coincide with a time when Harbaugh is on the ropes and COVID has cut every athletic budget to the bone. That's right - UM is slashing budgets but Donice somehow gets her salary doubled?! At the same time that Harbaugh is desperate for positive spin from TTUN State Media? Hmm. She must be one helluva filer.
  • If anyone here is enterprising, pull the mortgage papers for Sam's house in Ypsilanti. Maybe check out who the current lienholder is on the most recent note. UM does indeed help with housing assistance for select relocating professionals, but for its office managers? 

In summary: Sam Webb is compromised rubbish. Only an online rag like 24/7 would even barely tolerate his existence. Dude gets clicks - that's all 24/7 cares about. They maintain NO reporting standards. The National Enquirer laughs at 24/7. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 81 Comments