College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Sports TV Insider Thinks CBS Will Take ESPN's Portion of Big Ten Deal

+8 HS
TZ's picture
December 13, 2021 at 9:04pm
121 Comments

Not sure how may of you are aware of John Ourand, but he is an insider on the business of sports and covers TV deals with the sports leagues/entities for Sports Business Journal (great read daily if you follow sports; worth the subscription). He has a prediction column every year that looks at TV rights and how the networks and streaming services cover sports.

In his column today, he thinks the next round of Big Ten TV rights will be split between Fox (51%) and CBS (49%).  CBS is set to lose the SEC game of the week in a couple of seasons and they might have interest in getting into business with another conference. CBS will have that 3:30 ET window wide open once they lose the SEC rights and this could be their move to stay in the college football business.   Welcome home Gary Danielson!!!!

I know many of you think ESPN is anti OSU (you would be wrong as all the evidence points in the other direction), but I'm not here to get into that discussion. Lets say this is true, yI have a question for you.........Would it make sense for the Big Ten to remove all business ties to ESPN?  I think it could be suicide if ESPN retains all of the college football playoffs.  However, if the playoffs are split with other networks then it could make sense for the Big Ten to go away from ESPN.  All the current games on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC would move to CBS/CBS Sports Net. Although CBS Sports Network is not widely available right now.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 121 Comments