College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

How Do You Regulate Profiting off Name/likeness So It Stays Fair and Doesn't Destroy Sports?

+3 HS
milhouse4588's picture
April 30, 2020 at 9:33am
48 Comments

I do support the idea a player should be able to profit off their name and likeness. They deserve it as any other student is able to do so. However, it needs extremely tight regulations so things don't go off the rails quickly with wealth disparity, players spending too much time focused on money and not the "student athlete" part of their life.

Here are some ideas (based on quick thinking and zero knowledge of legal precedent or how sponsorships work) that may or may not work to help keep things in line:

Some things you have to prevent: boosters working through local businesses to entice kids to sign with their school, the student athlete spending too much time making money and not focusing on their sport and school (too much time shooting commercials, signing autographs, etc.), and more.

Some ideas:

- All conversations/deals and/or signed contracts between student athletes and businesses or other organizations they can profit from must be disclosed to a committee to keep records and enforce legitimacy.

- Zero conversations are allowed to happen before a student athlete is on campus as a student (day 1 of classes), and if it is discovered this wasn't followed the deal is null and void and that business can't work with any student athlete.

- A set amount of time per week/month a student is allowed to spend on profiting from their name/likeness: signing autographs, shooting a commercial, talking with businesses, etc.

- All conversations with businesses must occur on campus in either the athletic facility or in a designated area under the supervision of a campus official/coach (and including legal). All contracts must be signed with campus legal representation present.

- Maybe a max amount a student can make? It would demotivate some players if they see their starting QB or star running back making $2 million dollars while they make nothing. The disparity between athletes has to be controlled.

- Restrictions on the ways students can actual be involved: no shooting commercials but if their footage is used they can be paid, no off-campus events, etc. Only if a business uses their name or likeness in some way organically can they be paid and each student has a set "fee" for certain uses of their name/likeness.

- Absolutely ZERO compensation allowed based on any type of performance of any kind (no "if you are supplanted as the starter the contract is void" or "if you win the Heisman we'll give you an extra $20k").

All in all: if I'm a coach I'm not a fan of this because, while it may help me recruit in some ways and sign players I may not have signed otherwise, I'm not thinking this can benefit my team in any way. It will only create drama and trouble when players are compensated differently and spending time trying to make money instead of focusing on the team and becoming a better player.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments