College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

SP+ Returning Production Rankings

+4 HS
Spartan13's picture
February 7, 2020 at 12:48pm
32 Comments

https://t.co/nJlZjNmfL1

Bill Connely released the returning production rankings for 2020. This is a weighted production number based on positions of importance on offense and defense. Offensively QB is important but returning receiving production is secretly more important than most would think, running back isn’t that important. On Defense the secondary is extremely important while returning defensive lineman means very little. Here are my takeaways:

• Northwestern is #1 overall and could be poised for a big year, other B1G teams at the top are Indiana(11) Illinois(12) Rutgers(15, this is even more interesting considering the number of transfers they brought in, they could improve quickly) Nebraska(17) and Purdue(20) I think Nebraska and Purdue are set up for very good years. Nebraska is #2 on offense
  • USC(5) and Virginia Tech(6) are the highest teams that were good last year. For USC it would be very interesting to see Helton have a good year but recruit poorly again, they could foolishly keep him without realizing the roster is getting terrible. VaTech plays PSU at home this year and may be a tougher challenge than most thought.
  • Ohio State is 92 overall, while being 66 on offense and 113 on defense
  • Clemson is 95 overall, 79 O/103 D
  • Alabama is 127 overall, 106 O/121 D. I find this hilarious because the media all year tried to talk about young the Bama defense was and that’s why they were struggling when that was not the case at all. Georgia is 59 which is very high for the elite teams that lose production early, they are 21 on defense which is scary.
  • oregon is 88 and is a tale of two sides, 124 O/18 D, 
  • Michigan shocked me they are 124 overall and 119/109 this could be a tough year for the boys in blue 

I think there is a lot to be taken away from this but you have to be careful. Northwestern is #1 but for example they return every passing touchdown after throwing just 8. OSU/Clemson/Bama this is really a meaningless stat because the back ups are so good it can be scary when a team like Georgia returns as much as they do. For those who like to gamble this will give you a leg up on win totals instead of using returning starters.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments