College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

A Simple and Objective Solution to the College Football Playoff Problem

+11 HS
Dignan's picture
January 10, 2019 at 8:31am
48 Comments

We're all tired of the subjectivity involved in choosing a champion in college football. The BCS was supposed to make things objective, but it still relied too heavily on human polls. The College Football Playoff was supposed to let things finally be settled on the field, but it seems more subjective than anything we've had thus far, and the proverbial goalposts are always moving. It's time for a new system that doesn't rely on humans who don't watch all the games deciding who the best team is. It's time to get away from groupthink and bring both simplicity and objectivity to college football for the first time ever. It's time for the Dignan Method. Here we go.

Assumption #1: All FBS teams should always beat every FCS team.

Assumption #2: Power 5 teams should win roughly 75% of games against Group of 5 teams.

Assumption #3: A good win is a victory over a team that won most of its games, and a great win is a victory over a team that won almost all of its games.

Assumption #4: It is difficult, and therefore good, to win a conference championship.

Based on these 3 assumptions, points will be awarded to teams for victories (similar to the NHL) in the following way:

Regulation Points (regular season and conference championship)

• +2 points for a victory over a Power 5 team.
  • +1 point for a victory over a Group of 5 team (or other FBS independent team).
  • 0 points for a victory over an FCS team.
  • +2 points for winning a conference championship.

Bonus Points (awarded after the conference championships and before the bowls)

• +1 point for a victory over a team that accrued between 11-16 regulation points. (A bowl eligible team)
  • +2 points for a victory over a team that accrued over 17 regulation points. (A 9+ win team)

The teams with the most points will be invited to play in the playoff, which will consist of either 2, 4, or 8 teams. A reasonable tie-breaker system will also be in place.

The benefits of this system are numerous. First, it removes subjectivity and the power of the polls from determining the college football champion. Second, it rewards teams for playing better opponents, thus creating more matchups that fans want to see. Third, it rewards teams for winning their conferences. Fourth, it adds value, literally, to the regular season: every game matters, even games against FCS teams because that game will count the same as a loss. Fifth, it's simple, and it takes all the guesswork out of determining who gets into the playoff.

I've been thinking about this a lot - way too much, actually. I haven't had the time to run the numbers thoroughly, but I'm pretty sure Ohio State would have wound up as the #1 seed last year. But that's not why I like it. I like it because it's simple, objective, and fair. What do you all think?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments