College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Brown University's Head Women's Basketball Coach, a Female, Charged with DV... Five Days Ago.

+12 HS
kmp10's picture
August 7, 2018 at 1:40pm
44 Comments

Was anyone aware that Brown University's female head women's basketball coach, Sarah Behn, was charged with domestic violence against her husband about a week ago? I wasn't. That's kind of interesting... I guess outrage only works one way and double standards are alive and well, not only in the media, but also with the variety of different rights groups and movements permeating today's society. Apparently, DV is only newsworthy when it's a male assistant coach allegedly attacking his wife, but not when a female head coach has actually been charged with attacking her husband. The attorney and the university spokeswoman quotes are also interesting.

Jerome Sweeney, an attorney for Behn, said: “She denies the allegation. It’s a private matter.”

A spokeswoman for Brown University declined comment, saying “the university is not at liberty to discuss individual employees outside the context of their work activities, or any individual employee matters, which are not public.”

I realize that Brown is a private institution, but there seems to be contradictory standards at play here. Meyer, a guy who isn't even the focus of a domestic violence charge, is being skewered for mucking up a presser, and for something one of his assistants allegedly did, while a female head coach at one of the country's most prominent and exclusive universities was legally charged with DV and it's barely a blip on the media's radar. Different situations, yes, but enough overlap to show that the media's moral outrage is very selective.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 44 Comments