Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Long-Term Care Insurance

+4 HS
Scioto's picture
May 23, 2023 at 2:41pm
21 Comments

The retirement forum post got me thinking about this topic.  I've been considering obtaining long-term care insurance.  I will turn 62 later this year and am in good health today.  Tomorrow?  Your guess is as good as mine.  My employer provides for a nominal LTC plan with UNUM that only pays a monthly benefit of $1,000/month, which is only a drop in the bucket of what an assisted living facility or home healthcare would cost.  I am contemplating increasing that to a $4,000/month benefit, which should pay for all of home healthcare at today's average costs for such in Tennessee where I live and could pay for most, maybe all depending on the facility, should I require time in an assisted living facility.  The additional premium cost is negligible.  However, one of the issues that I have with the policy offered is the 90 day "elimination period," which means I would have to bear the whole cost of home healthcare or assisted living facility for 90 days before the LTC policy kicks in.  It's clear that UNUM anticipates I would die within that 90 day period or recover, but I may be completely mistaken in that regard.  

What are everyone's thoughts about LTC insurance?  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments