Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2022 Tailgate Fare - Week Four: Jalapeño Cheddar Beer Bread

+13 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
September 22, 2022 at 11:25am
30 Comments

Good morning Dubbers. It's that time of the week again, so here we go with another installment of TGF.  

A lot of times, we try to keep the tasty treats topical to the opponent, and sometimes we try to do something that works for the season or weather. Today, I'm going with the former, but it really works either way.

When you think of Wisconsin, I think it's pretty safe to say we all think of two things, besides Fonzie, Ralph, and Potsie - beer and cheese. A simple Google search led me to the following, which was the least surprising thing I've read all day week month year maybe ever. 

What is Wisconsin mainly known for?
The state is one of the nation's leading dairy producers and is known as "America's Dairyland"; it is particularly famous for its cheese. The state is also famous for its beer, particularly and historically in Milwaukee, most notably as the headquarters of the Miller Brewing Company.

I already had this recipe set aside for this week, so all Google did is confirm that stereotypes exist for a reason. Without further ado...

Jalapeño Cheddar Beer Bread

Ingredients

• 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 3/4 cups self-rising flour, sifted
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 12-ounce bottle of lager, or IPA (room temperature)
  • 1 cup of sliced pickled jalapeños 

Directions

• Preheat the oven to 375°
  • Brush an 8x4x2 1/2" loaf pan with melted butter
  • Whisk together flour, sugar, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl
  • Pour the beer into a medium bowl, add half of the remaining butter and whisk together
  • Pour the beer-butter mixture into the flour mixture* and fold until just combined (it's ok if there are lumps). The batter will be relatively thick and shaggy
  • Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and pat out into an even layer
  • Pour the remaining butter over the batter and top with the remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar and the jalapeño slices
  • Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 190° (between 60-90 minutes)
  • Let cool in the pan on a rack for about 15 minutes. Invert the bread out of the pan and eat warm or at room temperature

Pro Tips

• We used Yuengling for the beer.
  • *Dice some of the jalapeño slices and add it to the dough mixture. This was an adjustment Mrs 3M made on the fly.  We believed more was better, and we were right.
  • When measuring the flour, spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level it off - do not scoop directly from the bag.
  • Try to get some while it's warm.  It tastes good at room temperature, but it tastes great warm.

I hope that you enjoy this delicious bread!

Go Bucks!

Previous editions of TGF

11W Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments