Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Two Weeks Out...Halloween Candy Roll Call (Do You Have It, What's Your Favorite, What's Disgusting?)

+9 HS
Hovenaut's picture
October 17, 2018 at 11:28am
106 Comments

Closing in on All Hallow's Eve, time to talk candy again (I know this has been discussed before...fresh candy deserves a fresh thread).

Let's cover the basics - haven't bought yet. Because a bag of candy can disappear over the course of a weekend in my house, it's science. Will probably hold off until next weekend to stash up, and then my wife will still have to hide them until Halloween night.

As Mr. Corleone insists on hearing bad news immediately, we'll start with the bad...

I must refuse your offer of shit candy, but wish you well in your trick or treaing endeavors...

The award for the candy I'd immediately toss out as a kid/still wouldn't eat to this day - Candy corn.

Yeah, it may look the part...the colors, the shape, the popularity of corn this time of year. It's sugar, food coloring, and wax. Yay. You can have mine then, no trade...straight up.

Runner-ups:

1. Necco wafers. I understand the history, and sorry it looks as if the candy is bowing out of the industry, but good lord these chalk disks were awful to the taste.
  2. Licorice - Twizzlers cannot undo the scars black licorice has done to my taste buds as a kid. Nor Jagermeister as an adult.
  3. Tootsie Rolls. What are they? Chocolate? Fudge? Taffy? Sorry for the personality disorder, just never got into them.
  4. Anything with marshmallows. Keep the Mallomars away, and I'm already cursing out Easter Peeps. Can't do 'em.
  5. The "healthy alternatives" - the popcorn balls, apples, raisins, pretzels, and the like. Long before Cris Carter coined the phrase on the WWL, I'm certain I muttered "c'mon man" to the well-meaning elderly ladies in my neighborhood. Kids get one day to trick or treat...so treat it up

The Good...

Favorites - Chocolate is king. Peanuts in the mix are a bonus. So my go-to 1A and 1B are Snickers and Reese's PB Cups. And I prefer the OG's of each - I don't need dark Snickers, or Reese's Pieces...the first versions of each will do just fine.

Runner-ups:

Anything with caramel - Milky Ways are tip top. The peanuts in a chocolate bar are a great add, but if you can't go peanut then caramel is a great back-up.
PayDays - No chocolate? No problem. Take that portion of caramel, and sprinkle those peanuts around it...money indeed.
M&M's - Candy covered chocolate in the quick convenient size. There's a multitude of varieties now as I understand - peanut, caramel, pretzel, etc., but the original is what I prefer.
Skittles - The non-chocolate M&M's. Straight up candy in a variety of fruit flavors.
LifeSavers - Old school hard candy I enjoyed as a kid. Times lured me onto Jolly Ranchers and even Starburst later on, but old school LifeSavers remain a good childhood memory.

What's in your bag/stash/horde, 11W?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 106 Comments