Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Computer Problem, Looking for Ideas

+2 HS
BAJ's picture
January 19, 2018 at 11:15am
58 Comments

Hello everyone,

First off let me say that I have worked in the computer tech field for well over a decade. I also build computers for a living as a side job, this however has me stumped and I am looking for some ideas.

First off here is a list of the computer parts:

MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, AMD FX 8350 Vishera CPU with wraith cooler, Corsair AX860 80 Plus Platinum ATX Power Supply, Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming AM3+ Motherboard, 32 GB EVGA superclocked DDR3 dual channel RAM, 2 1TB hard drives, a 5 TB hard drive, and a 256 GB SSD only used for the OS which is windows 10.

So here is the problem, on Tuesday I ran a refresh on the system, everything seemed to be fine, around 22:30 the video signal went out but the computer was still on and running, not even showing the bios page.

Initially I switched the cable to a different port on the display using HDMI 1, 3, and 4, I also swapped the hdmi cable with a known working hdmi cable but nothing. I than swapped the GPU from PCI-e 1 to PCI-e 2 but still no joy. I than swapped in another known working video card, into both slots but still nothing. I than swapped out the ram using only 1 at a time but still nothing (mind you there are no beeps on the motherboard and the code was coming up AA which is normal meaning its booting to the OS), to be fair I have not breadboarded it as I doubt it was the case at this point.

After some discussion at work we concluded it could be the Motherboard causing the issue (since they dont make AM3 boards anymore I decided to go ahead and upgrade, and knowing how sensitive the CPU is). So after doing some research on everything that would be compatible I stopped at microcenter and picked up AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, MSI B350 Tomahawk Motherboard and crucial ballistix 16 GB DDR4 ram.

So I get home and get everything swapped out and cleaned the system with an air duster, I get everything hooked up and still not getting a video signal, not even when the hdmi cable is plugged directly into the motherboard. Yes I have seated the cpu correctly, and all cables have been firmly connected into the correct slots.

Now some people are thinking it could be the power supply, which I guess it could be. However, I dont want to just drop more money into it without a consensus as I feel my wife will kill me if I keep spending a bunch of money.

Edit - It is not the display, the pc is hooked to my tv and the cable box works on all of the inputs. When I say a refresh I mean a clean install of the windows 10 operating system. The graphic drivers were updated right after the clean install finished and was having no issues with it until 10 hours later.

Also I appreciate the humor

Second Edit - The computer is fixed! After messing around with it and still getting no joy, I took back the new motherboard and cpu and got an intel CPU, the computer is now up and working! So now what I can say is screw AMD, never again haha. Anyways, thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate the humor as this has been bothersome for me all week

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments