Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The SPOILER Discussion for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

0 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture
December 18, 2015 at 10:57pm
243 Comments

This is for the folks who have seen it and want to discuss what they witnessed in more detail.

If you want a thread with opinions and NO SPOILERS, please go to the Official Spoiler Free Thread....

You have been warned....

I really enjoyed the film but I do have a few beefs with some of the plot line.

1) Only the movies are official canon and yet, there is no Sith or Darth for the Dark Side... it's only "The Dark Side."  OK, well all 6 movies had either a reference to the Sith or the "Dark Jedi" had Darth as their official first name... Instead, we get "Supreme Leader" and Kylo.

2) So... Rey, who has no memory of where she comes from or who she is, can all of a sudden out Force-maneuver AND out lightsaber-duel a Dark Jedi who initially learned from Luke and then Supreme Leader Snoke...... WITHOUT ANY TRAINING?!

3) Number 2 goes hand-in-hand with this beef... there seems to have been some rushing with the story because Rey somehow knows how to use the force fairly quickly, when it took Luke and other Jedi months to years to master basic maneuvers.

4) Captain Phasma had so much damn hype and played a MINIMAL ROLE!!! What the hell!?  I was expecting some sort of epic play and got nothing.

5) Kylo Ren is obsessed with finishing what Vader started and yet as ZERO clue that he was born to bring balance to the force and was the only known Jedi to turn to the Dark Side AND THEN TURN BACK TO THE LIGHTSIDE!!! How does he not know his own Grandfather's epic story?? THAT'S WHY VADER WAS A BAD-ASS MO FO!!

The things I TRULY enjoyed...

1) The old guard... oh boy was it nice to see them.  Even Carrie Fisher with her inability to move her lips still conveyed a strength in Leia.  Han Solo was hilarious as were Chewie's reactions.  Seeing Hamill as Luke, who seems to have finally embraced what Star Wars did for his career after years of fighting it, was AWESOME and he had a silent bad-assdom that Alec Guinness couldn't pull off.

2) I think it's clear that Rey is Luke's daughter, I mean, why else would she react, and the Force react to her, like that when she touched his lightsaber?

3) Adam Driver was AWESOME!!!! The fact that his character is actually a Solo, I kind of didn't see it coming.  Every indication was he was a huge fan of Vader, but there was no reason given as to why.  Well, aren't we all kind of HUGE fans of our Grandfathers?  I get it and I liked it, despite a little beef.

4) The scenes on Jakku with the Millennium Falcon were pretty epic in 3D.  Another reference to it being garbage was classic, but damn was it nice seeing that freighter in action again.

5) Finn... I really dig the character and it kind of shows that not every Stormtrooper was a thoughtless, shotless moron.  He didn't like it, and did what he had to do to get out.  How many of us would be able to do that?  I would try, even if it killed me, so yea, I like it.

6) The new X-Wings... OMG, I loved them... even down to the light underneath.  I thought that was a really nice touch.

7) Homages to the original trilogy, even using Starkiller, in a very wise manor, was a lot of fun.  Yea, there were maybe a few too many winks and direct pulls, but overall, it was a lot of fun.

Feel free to post your thoughts, it's an open thread and voting is disabled.

EDIT: 8) JOHN EFFING WILLIAMS!!! HOW COULD I FORGET HIS SCORE!??!?!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 243 Comments