Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Buck I Guy No More

+1 HS
Bailey458's picture
December 10, 2014 at 6:47pm
82 Comments

I hope this isn't construed as a flame, and I know this has been discussed in many ways, but I can't resist. 

Buck I Guy's persona truly has taken on a life of its own to the point he is a quasi-mascot, much to my chagrin.  I believe that "Superfans" do not deserve to be flashed around so much and that it truly detracts from students and the team itself (those things that truly make TOSU great).  But these people are not mascots.

As a result I would like to ask the bevy of intelligent 11wers out there if they have any ideas about how to purge Buck I guy (and to a lesser extent any of the other of so called superfans) from the Ohio State zeitgeist. 

Seeing him on that commercial for the college playoff made me queasy.  How did that happen?

My possible solutions: Signage at games or during gameday broadcasts asking them to stop? Fans preventing him from moving them aside, especially in their own seats, in an attempt to gain camera time? Petitioning various networks to stop showing him on TV?  Other people wearing his outfit?

As an alum and a Columbus native TOSU is a huge part of my identity but I don't use it to thump my own chest and attempt to obtain quasi-celebrity status. Moreover I certainly don't want anyone associating the university with glory hounds.  I believe a subtle, non-malicious approach would at least assuage my discontent for this gentlemen.

I have heard rumors of his philanthropic nature and I by no ways mean to slam him as a man. I AM NOT commenting on him as a person, as I have had no personal interaction with him (except in N.O 2007 when my friend said "Hey it's Buckeye Man" and he tersely retorted "It's Buck I Guy." I just wish there was a way to minimize his visibility.

I apologize for the rant, it has become way longer than I expected, and hope nobody is offended; however I feel these superfans shed a bad light on us and feel it is perhaps a time for a more proactive response.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 82 Comments