Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

"Eat Too, Brutus" changes it's name to "The Eleven Dubgate"???

jeremytwoface's picture
June 2, 2014 at 9:41pm
45 Comments

What gives?? 

Denny's picture

"I come here not to praise Eat Too, but to bury him." - some joyless lawyer (redundant)

Taquitos.

+6 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Wow is this for serious?

gate?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+6 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Sounds like they were threatened with a lawsuit if they didn't change their name. Damn shame.

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS

Gene Smith wasnt getting a big enough cut, utter bullshit.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+8 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Thanks Gene...

LEBRON

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

WOW - that is about all you're getting from me on this topic.

+4 HS
Northbrook's picture

I still like...

Because I Couldn't Go For Thirds

+18 HS
Northbrook's picture

That was't my idea, BTW. Somebody else suggested it when they were looking for a title.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Thanks a lot Bob Loblaw

+5 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

It's unfortunate. Ohio State basically told us to stop using the name "Brutus" in our event if we wanted to keep our press credentials. Never mind that we've raised over $40,000 for various charities throughout the year, all pro bono on our end.

Sometimes, Ohio State is gonna Ohio State.

Sometimes its best to find the man holding the actual strings. Thats some crazy blackmail BS and I can only hope my Gene joke wasnt true. Lets make an example by doubling this years event.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

No comment about Gene and your scope?  I'm surprised.

+4 HS
Northbrook's picture

Wow, what a bullshit thing to do.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Damn...

Those evil bastards.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+15 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That dude looks like Screech from Saved By The Bell

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

This truly is the darkest timeline.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Well done, Bad Owl.

Jack Fu's picture

Goddamn brandroids taking over college sports.

+1 HS
bodast67's picture

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+5 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

I'm going to guess it's some sort of liability law garbage and they did it for protection, but just really unfortunate. I'm surprised that they have any type of ownership over the name "Brutus" though.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

Maybe the fine peope who represent the interests of Mr Shakespeare should have a word with OSU... 

+5 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Not understanding how they can cease and desist this. Brutus has been around for a thousand years. 

Also, which asshole douche sent it?

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Gene Smith is getting an email about this. Also, some of my donation dollars are being switched to 11Dub now.

+9 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Didn't the University implicitly approve the use last year when you were given access to the WHAC for part of the event? In any event, if they want to dial down the douche while still protecting their property couldn't they just license the use to you for a $1 since it's all for local charity?

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

That's what I was thinking...

You think they would have put a stop to it last year if it was such a big deal.

+3 HS
brband64's picture

I suspect the university's legal team has belatedly concluded there is some sort of exposure/association risk if an Eat Too attendee were to get drunk, cause a ruckus, later hit someone with a vehicle while DUI, etc. Not defending - it's seriously lame, especially considering how well established the event is and so on; if there were concerns of this sort, there was a long time before now to voice them.

Hey Groveports - get a room.

+3 HS
Ramzy Nasrallah's picture

I suspect the university's legal team has belatedly concluded there is some sort of exposure/association risk if an Eat Too attendee were to get drunk, cause a ruckus, later hit someone with a vehicle while DUI, etc.

We realize part of our charm is that we appear to be doing this from our parents' basements, but E2B had all of the liquor permits, liability insurance and every single other possible gap covered. Those things aren't free, by the way - and none of those expenses are recouped out of donations. We covered them, because we aren't 13, we don't actually live in our parents' basements and this is important.

Remember Old School?

"As stupid as they appear, they're actually very good at paperwork."

That's us. [procures A/V equipment for next charity banger from Speaker City]

No, nobody - not even the university - has a trademark on Shakespearean puns created by 11W readers, which is what Eat Too, Brutus was. As Jason said, Ohio State is gonna Ohio State.

jeremytwoface's picture

That's lame....

What were you guys hurting by have Brutus in the name? It was for charity for Pete's sake.

+1 HS
brband64's picture

I'm absolutely with you 100%, Ramzy.

In the interest of brevity, I did not include in my original comment that a former employer of mine used to host a large pre- and post-game (which eventually also became a during-game) event in close proximity to the university - many of you probably remember it. One of this event's many visitors over the years was a well-known local politician who at one point was pulled over for DUI and, it was soon learned, the alcohol was consumed at this event (you may even recall who it was). The event's name had nothing to do with the university, but its mere association with OSU football - plus this individual's well-publicized brush with the law - put some in the university into a tizzy. The event remained popular for several years but a combination of factors, not the least of which was the university purchasing the property on which the event was held, eventually contributed to its demise.

And as you and Jason both noted, OSU has no legal leverage with the (former) name of the 11w event, hence resorting to the only leverage they did have: credentials and access. Having experienced first-hand constant pressure from those looking for a weak spot to remove a perceived tarnish many years ago, none of these actions surprised me. Even when you do everything by the book, someone with time and an agenda will do what they can to reduce their perceived risk. For them, it's all about image...or what they think their image ought to be, good intentions be damned.  I love my alma mater but have seen enough of this sort of thing here and in other aspects of the university that would surprise many people.

I appreciate the talents all of you contribute to this site and for fighting the good fight for this event.

+6 HS
GoBucks713's picture

First they license all of their athletic apparel to a company in MI, and now this bullshit?? I will always love the sports, but the University needs to get their dicks out of their own asses.

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
daveyt11's picture

Very disappointing.

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Eat Too and the Houndie are Dead. Long Live Eat Too and The Houndie!!!

-The Aristocrats!

+4 HS
Kurt's picture

Eat Too, Houndie

+5 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Too many freaking lawyers and beauracacy.

+2 HS
SonOfBuckeye's picture

"Eat Too, Brutus" changes...

Stick with Shakespeare.  Change the name to "Kill All the Lawyers."

+7 HS
AndyVance's picture

I'll be drafting a sternly-worded email to a few folks in the OSU hierarchy, especially some old friends in the press shop. Not cool, University bureaucrats. Not cool at all.

+5 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Release the Andy!

You are our designated attack Man for this! Go forth and chum the waters!

Go Bucks!

+4 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Fuck it go tell them to EAT ONE

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
brunstar's picture

So do people have to rename their pets if they are named Brutus as well?  I wasn't aware that Brutus was trademarked.  There's got to be a really ancient family in Rome making a fortune right now.

albinomosquito's picture

we named our daughter Scarlet..  I smell a lawsuit..

+1 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

I heard that the Athletics Department is also considering legal action against wrestler Brutus Beefcake.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+2 HS
v65animal's picture

I've already got tickets to the UC game, taking my 1/2 brother, his first time to the Shoe! Where is this Pre-Game event held, what exactly is it? Just food for sale or what? What charity does it support?

Go Bucks!

jeremytwoface's picture

The tailgate is held off of Norwich Ave behind the Varsity Club... and it's basically just that..... a big tailgate. Food and beer are included in the price of the ticket. There is also usually a raffle that you get tickets for depending on what priced ticket you buy. Last year they had TBDBITL come play some tunes which was sweet.

The charity last year was DownSyndrome Achieves but I'm not sure if it is going to be the same one this year or not.

Definitely a good time if you can make it.

walkman33's picture

what time is Eleven Dubgate scheduled to start on Sept 27th? Also, does anyone know when this event will be ending prior to the start of the 6:00 pm kickoff? Thanks .....GO BUCKS!!

jeremytwoface's picture

It goes on throughout the game so if you don't have tickets, you can watch it there on some TVs. 

I think it started at noon last year.