Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Tatum 1.01 Release Notes

Jason Priestas's picture
February 10, 2014 at 12:02am
43 Comments

Small tweaks here and there:

• Created visible indicator for new comments beyond the banner on the user avatar.
  • Changed the look of comments "hidden" by downvotes from blurred to a lighter text to improve page performance, especially on mobile. Hovering still shows the text, albeit just a bit darker.
  • Member blog link added to profile page.
  • Helmet Stickers Leaderboard is back.
  • Fixed incorrect author name for forum topics that were moved by staff.
  • Waiting on a Chrome fix for the web fonts "jumping" and acting weird before a refresh in some instances. This is a known bug in Chrome and should be fixed in Chrome 33, released later this month.

We're working on three big items: the user menu not showing on mobile, sluggish scrolling on certain pages with iPhone and iPad, and layout problems for various devices.

As always, please post any issues you're encountering in the Bugtracker. Please provide device, OS, browser, orientation (landscape or portrait) and/or a screenshot. Thanks!

Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for bringing back the leaderboard - it's great to see the line up - you guys are truly the best in the business.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture
Helmet Stickers Leaderboard is back.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I just looked through the leaderboard...where did Buck-I.8 go? Did he leave our community or something?

Earle's picture

He must've said something to tick off AndyVance before the Tracker was taken away from him.

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

Damn. You figured out my love for the tracker. No wonder Jason won't bring it back...

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

All in all, a pretty easy transition.  Keep up the good work.

Oh, and for us horrible spellers, no more option for corrections for underlined words?

teddyballgame's picture

The yellow stripe is much appreciated.

+7 HS
AndyVance's picture

Ditto - this is a major improvement in and of itself. Thanks Jason!

Doc's picture

What yellow stripe?  Plus, I'm having one helluva time commenting on a post, but not on a thread on my brand new laptop.

"Say my name."

buckeye4life050233's picture

would be nice while in user account under recent activity to see the upvotes and downvotes for each of your own comments to see what people think about what you said rather than having to go back through each one to see if it got any votes

+6 HS
Alpo's picture

I agree this would be a good addition. I also would like to be able to see my voting history. Not that everyone can see it but something that only the account holder can see to view a ratio of how may times you've upvoted versus downvoted throughout the time you've spent on 11w. Don't know if it's possible to do but think it would be a cool feature.

+1 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

Be cool to also get a helmet sticker for ever 10 or so posts you generate through a forum topic or blog post

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

You literally gain a Helmet Sticker for each forum topic. Just like the old system.

kholmes's picture

Comments are much more user friendly now with that yellow highlight showing new posts. That was the number one thing I was missing from the old version. The other thing I noticed (and assume likely others have pointed out) is the default sorting for forum items is by number of posts (most posts at the top). The old version sorted by thread with most recent posts at the top so the "current" items would be at the top instead of what might be an old item that is no longer commented on but has alot of posts. I see there is a way to change the sorting but I would think most would want the default like the old version of 11w rather than having to resort every time when viewing the forums. Thanks again for the quick changes as version 1.01 is a great improvement already.

+4 HS

That was the number one thing I was missing from the old version.

The number one thing I miss from the old version, is the old version. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
Crimson's picture

Watch it.  Jason gave someone 15,000 HS the other day; he can easily take them from you.

Remy's picture

The old version sorted by thread with most recent posts at the top so the "current" items would be at the top instead of what might be an old item that is no longer commented on but has alot of posts. I see there is a way to change the sorting*

KHolmes, How do you change the sorting? Looked for it, but couldn't find it. Thanks for the help.

*Not being sarcastic, just trying to highlight. Bold wasn't as bold as I wanted in the quote.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

OSUStu's picture

Remy,  I think KHolmes may just be referring to the Popular Topics and Active Topics tabs.  But, maybe I am missing something else as well.

...the default sorting for forum items is by number of posts (most posts at the top)

Popular Topics

...most recent posts at the top so the "current" items would be at the top instead

Active Topics

The question I have is: Does the Popular Topics sorting account only for the total number of comments a post has generated or does it somehow account for the recent activity on the posts?  For instance, if we have a "BucksFan Changing Icon" type post that has generated 1,000 comments over time but has not had any new comments in two months, will it remain at the top?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
kholmes's picture

Remy..If you click on FORUM at the top bar, then you select one of the boxes for the Forum Categories (like OHIO STATE RECRUITING). Once you get into that screen, there are 3 columns (Topic, Replies, Last Reply). You can click on any of the three headings to sort by that attribute and if you click again on it, it will sort in reverse order. The default seems to be Replies (from most to least # of replies). In the old version, the default was Last Reply (most recent to oldest). I dont think the new method makes sense because if you have some topic that generates 200 replies, then it will be forever at the top of the default list even when the topic becomes old and stale.

+1 HS
Remy's picture

KHolmes. Thanks for sharing that helpful hint. Did not see it before.

Never thought I would thank and upvote a fan of That Team.

Next there will be proof that pigs can fly:

It Happened

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

GoBucksOSU's picture

I agree Kholmes. I too prefer the old sorting method of new comments sending a thread to the top.

+2 HS
Hello_Heisman's picture

So I haven't been on the site in over a week.  I knew that change was coming but holy shit.  I'm probably not the right person to get commentary on as to whether the changes have improved things because our work computers still are stuck on IE 7 which can barely load a webpage.  Really seems to be struggling with loading the new design so I may need to check it out on my iPad to get a better flavor.  One obvious question is what happened to the buttons to click for upvoting and downvoting?

60% of the time it works.....every time

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Openly "pro-Michigan" users have been stripped of their voting privileges.  For everyone else, there are up and down arrows on the right side of every comment.  If you fat finger, you can now even change your vote!

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

You must not have read the memo.  TTUN fans lost the ability to vote with the new format.  We all took a vote one day and decided that you people simply are not worthy of having that privilege ; )

Looks like Dave was part of the vote the other day.

+4 HS
Hello_Heisman's picture

Good - I hated having to vote anyway.  It was really exhausting trying to figure out which of your posts were not quite asinine enough to warrant a downvote. 

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

I love you too, 'lil buddy...

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Watch it, only MSU fans are allowed to call him 'lil buddy.

+5 HS
Hello_Heisman's picture

Throwing terms of affection like that out so close to Valentine's Day is a sure fire way to take this forbidden UM-OSU bro-mance to a Paulie D-Vinnie level. 

+3 HS
niblick's picture

the new site runs HORRIBLY on my cell phone, HTC Thunderbolt, Android OS.  Is there something I can do to help this?  Items I'm supossed to be able to click on are overlapping, it's just almost not useable.  Old site ran just fine on mobile.

Earle's picture

Love the new site and appreciate the commitment to quickly addressing the issues/complaints that have come up.  However, at the risk of being branded a complainer, I'll make one final plea to bring back the "Recent Comments".  I completely understand why you don't want it on the front page, and honestly hadn't thought about the negative impact of some of the saltier comments on advertisers, but what about burying it somewhere else, say, on the forum page?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought that the ability to see who was commenting and what they were saying really aided the community aspect of the site.  I know that it took me to threads that I otherwise might not have visited. 

This is the last I'll mention it.  I don't want to seem negative about what I think is overall a great improvement to our beloved 11W.  I just felt like the initial comments on this item got lost among the complaints about the interface, and were perhaps unfairly lumped in with more cosmetic issues.

Edit:  Just made a minor edit to this and was pleased to see that we can now edit comments even after they've been replied to.  Yet another enhancement to the site that may have gone largely unnoticed.

+10 HS
Doc's picture

I'm with Earle.  I loved the "Recent Comments" area.  That was how I followed all of the conversations going on.  Now it is difficult to find out what everyone is talking about.  I'm having a hard time keeping up.

"Say my name."

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

I'll echo Earle and Doc, although for a slightly different feature. The one feature that made my 11W user experience much, much better compared to the new site was clicking through to the tracker so I could see which of the articles, blogs and threads had been bumped since I last visited. Even with the forum layout, there is simply no way that I have found to see which threads I am following have been updated save my own mental gymnastics. That feature was much, much more useful to me than even the recent comments feature, which I did not use as much as the two distinguished gentlemen previously referenced.

Any possible iteration of a user-content-tracker function would be greatly appreciated. There is simply too much great content and too many great conversations here that I can't keep track of them without that functionality.

+3 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

Maybe a potential compromise would be to have a "Recently Commented" section, where you post just the username of who has most recently commented instead of any of their text. that would at least let regulars see who and where people are commenting and they can join the discussion.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

Borrowed Time's picture

Really impressed by the quick turnaround for changes we asked for. I read this site at work on a PC (chrome) and everything looks spectacular now. I'm even kind of adjusting to all the images on the front page.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Ill make a single plea. On the right hand sideon the recent posts can we find a way for the most recently commented topic automatically shoots to the top? Seem like it shouldn't be too much of a problem and I think most users would prefer it.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+5 HS
buckguy10's picture

This is still available however it is not on the front page. To see the most recently commented forum topic, click the forum heading on the top and they are listed under "Active Topics"

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Thank you, I never noticed. Would still be nice for that little aspect to be on the front page I think though.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

Awesome Jason! This is my first comment since the unveiling of the new look.  Not because I'm stubborn about new things, but because I've been like a kid in a candy store, haha! I've been all wide eyed, getting used to the ropes all over again.  Thanks for being awesome.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

RBuck's picture

Don't see any differences in the new comments Just has the 'new' on the avatar. Are they suppose to be hilighted or something? Antique Vista with IE9.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Jason Priestas's picture

You may have to flush your browser cache.

AndyVance's picture

I'm not sure it's 100% fixed yet, but scrolling on my iPhone 5s seems much improved this morning.

EDIT: I was wrong. Scrolling on the front page works great. Scrolling on individual threads with lots of comments: not so much.

biggy84's picture

Everything is working fine for me. After a slight adjustment period, i'm digging the new format. Is the Twitter feed section going to return? I'm using an old bookmark i received from another user.