Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

New Site

bucknut8's picture
February 7, 2014 at 5:11am
109 Comments

LOVE the new site! But will easily miss the old website for sure! I love change & lets hope this translates easily to some future fun for Buckeye Nation and lets go get some Natties!!! 

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Welcome back, please make sure you let us know about any issues you encounter. The site will continue to get better from this point forward, but we're very excited as a whole for the changes that have already taken place.

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Appears when I logged in this morning my helmet stickers were missing? and my profile picture reverted back to the very first one I made?

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah I'm missing like 70,000 helmet stickers... Can we fix that please?

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+6 HS
buckeyecityterror's picture

Looks great.

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Sin City Buckeye's picture

I love the new format. One question though. Will you be able to recover all the previous forum posts?

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

No, unfortunately that's one thing that couldn't be brought over. BucksFan will have to change icons all over again.

Sin City Buckeye's picture

LOL That's OK, I'm sure the forums will fill up quick.

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

jeremytwoface's picture

Hahahahaa....

This is perfect.

buckeye4life050233's picture

I like the new age feel to this site....it's very trendy with the type of graphics....it will be interesting to see if there are a lot of bugs that come with the change but it should get worked out pretty quick.....interesting change to the upvote and downvoting now on the sides

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Let's break it in Warriors.  Can see there was much work put into this.  Go Bucks!

+1 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

The new site looks great on my tablet and computer.  Love the addition of the Other Sports and College Sports forums so we can discuss other things outside of OSU. The website also allows for ease of typing on my Samsung tablet too without the cursor jumping everywhere when typing.  I know others had problems with that but it looks like the new site addressed that concern. Also, the ease of inserting YouTube and tweets are much simpler now that we can just use the embed code. One thing that stands out is the inability to now see your own upvote and downvote on your own comments. Is anyone having this problem? 

New site looks great but will take some time to get use to in terms of navigation.  Great job 11W. 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

You should be able to see your comment score if it is not zero. I just gave you an upvote, let me know if you don't see +1 next to your comment.

A couple of other new features with helmet stickers:

• You can now change your vote.
  • Once a comment reaches -10, voting is locked. That helps prevent the cases of new guy getting off on the wrong foot only to receive an instaban.
BME_Buckeye's picture

There we go. I was kinda conditioned to the old ticker and being able to see the 0 Up 0 Down before voting. I see it now. Thanks. 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

Why does it say "MEN" with a backwards E next to new posts?

EDIT:  I just checked, and new posts don't say MEN anymore, it just says NEW.  Something obviously broke overnight, you guys might want to check out what is wrong.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+1 HS
TMac's picture

Oyster, you're standing on your head again!

+1 HS
rjsmitty's picture

I think its supposed to say "NEW" but its upside down and backwards.

+1 HS
TMac's picture

CHANGE YOUR VOTE  IS AWESOME!!! Thank You!!

+5 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yes yes and yes.

BuckToAsT's picture

You mean no more "fat finger" posts???

+4 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Is it possible to get the new comments highlighted like it was on the old one?  Easier to scroll through topics throughout the day and see the new comments instead of re-reading all of them.

Nevermind, saw this info below. Carry on Wayne.

Read my entire screen name....

Killer nuts's picture

It would be nice to be able to see the total up/down votes to a comment in the "my account" section that shows each person's recent posts

+2 HS
Chise47's picture

Gonna take a second for me to get used to. Hell, me, Fred & Barney are still stopping our cars with our feet !!

+4 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Nice very nice!

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

sigzeta's picture

Site looks great guys!  Much easier to read, much cleaner look. At 5:30 in the morning, I can now review it with without having to fumble for my glasses. 

Sucks about the forum, there were a bunch of great posts. I look forward to watching those get rebuilt, and your continued excellence! Go Bucks!

allinosu's picture

Am I missing recent comments somewhere?

Jason Priestas's picture

Recent comments didn't make the move. We're hoping the new forum layout will ease the pain.

Oyster's picture

I'm good with that.  Hopefully it will discourage Earle from following me around all the time.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+3 HS
Earle's picture

No dice.  Sorry.

Italics are for emphasis.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Best line of the day ............. so far brother

AndyVance's picture

Jason, did a version of the tracker also make the migration?

Diplomat's picture

Nice design and site flow

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I really like this new site. Will take a bit of getting use to. Looks good on my smart phone.

FitzBuck's picture

It really does look great.  I'm having a lot of trouble scrolling down on my iPhone (very slow). Can't wait to check out everything.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+2 HS
Sauce Bauss's picture

I'm having the same problem. Besides that tho the site is wicked sweet! Excellent work guys! 

Colerainbuck's picture

Oh No!! 11W has changed, I guess I'll have to call in to work and request a personal day for the emotional distress.

I'll prob have to spend the rest of the day here at 11W working through this distress w a cold Christian Moerlein (for medicinal purposes only).

Looks great 11W!

+1 HS
kramalanj's picture

Never posted before, but the site looks great. Always enjoyed 11 Warriors before,

I"m sure I will enjoy it even more.

+5 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

Love the new layout... will take a little bit of time adjusting to and figuring out where things are and how they work, but looks great!

acBuckeye's picture

My sleepiness initially made me think I was on the wrong site. Looks pretty cool, but gonna have to get used to the changes. Good job, guys!

+1 HS
lamplighter's picture

meh- hate change - especially at 6 AM.

+1 HS

Alright, I'll check out more later once I finally wake up... should probably go to sleep and turn off Saved By the Bell.  Anyways, I do like how you can see how many replies you have to your posts now.  Will make it a lot easier to respond to someone who replied to something you wrote rather than what I used to do and open up 50 new tabs of my most recent posts just to see if anyone had responded. 

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

How can you see the number of replies?  

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Just go to 'my account' and scroll down to your recent activity where it'll show your recent posts and if someone replied, it'll be highlighted on the bottom right of which ever post you made... so check yours now and you should see it says '1 reply'

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Roger that.  Thanks Kareem.

That's a great feature.  Maybe have that on your front page when you have logged in?

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
Findog5's picture

How do you edit your profile now?

NCFinn

If you're on your computer, put the cursor over your s/n in the top right corner... click on my account, then it'll be an option on the top left of the page.  "view" will be highlighted, just click on edit right next to it.

buckeyeswift's picture

Love the new layout, so much better for my mobile devices.

"We're from O-HI-O"

VABuckeyeInsanity's picture

Love the new layout.  You guys just keep making this site better and better!

Grayskullsession's picture

So who gets banned from the new site first?

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+1 HS
b_pbucksfans's picture

Love the new site guys! Thanks for all the hard work. One question, can't get pics or gifs uploaded. Ideas?

Jason Priestas's picture

Use imgur.com or another free service.

Bucks's picture

Love the new streamline design and good to know the updates allows staff to do more.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to bypass the mobile view at some point but oh well if not. I'm so used to using desktop view for every single site I use that not being able to just zoom in and out is going to have me cursing for quite some time.

SOF_Buckeye's picture

As a few have already stated, I too suffer from a homeostatic condition and will have to ease myself into this new world design. Great work 11W! 

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

Braxton2Devin's picture

Looks a bit like SB Nation. I like it!

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks. They were certainly among the handful of sites that influenced our design. Vox, the company behind SB Nation, The Verge, Polygon and other sites, is pretty damn good when it comes to designing and developing content platforms.

BlockO's picture

Great job on the site 11w!!!! (Standing applause)

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

Hovenaut's picture

I like it, feels right to me.

Where do I fax in my LOI? (Both ma and pa are on board, as info)

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I see what you did there.

+1 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

the new site seems to load faster on my overseas connection.  this is a positive!  

macbook pro - check

ipad - check

iphone 5s - muuuuuuch faster loading than before (which is good cause this is my constant addiction companion... good thing too much of y'all isn't lethal).  Advertising formatting is a tad off though.  the top add is not resizing properly for iPhone 5s screen... but who looks at those adds anyway?

PS how are the football home screen stories ordered?  If chronologically like before (with occasional exceptions) it has gone a bit wonky as new stories for me are buried under stories from december?

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

mobboss1984's picture

Nice, I was a bit surprised this morning. Thought I was on the wrong site!!

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

bucknasty13's picture

I second that.  Wasn't entirely ready for the new site.  Looks good though.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

As long as we can keep the feature were we can see all recent topics being commented on the right hand side I think we will all appreciate the change in due time. Congrats to Jason and the staff for putting time and effort in to make this a better place for us all to discuss our Buckeyes.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
mr.green's picture

I can type in chrome on my i-product, so this is a huge win. No more Safari (used it only for this site before). One question: when I look under football topics, some older posts (December) are on top. Is that a bug or just part of the switchover?

but this is nice. Like riding in a new car. What's this do....?

Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. If you encounter any bugs, please log them in this thread.

BHT's picture

Great site 11W staff. I am starting to like it. At first I thought It looked too different. I especially did not like how the first few paragraphs of the front page posts were not there. (On the old site the start of the post was on the front page and you clicked read more on the bottom.) Then I realized that the main topics covered in the post are on the front page before you click on the post. I like that. It will take me some time to get used to it, but this new site has loads of potential. It even looks good on my phone. Thanks 11W.

Fugelere's picture

New site works a lot better with my phone.  I didn't think you could 11W any better but I'm happy to be wrong in this case.

buckeyestu's picture

Just got home from work, while at work I checked out this new site on my smart phone and I liked it. At home here, I really like this site a whole better than on my smart phone. Really great work 11w staff.

GoBucksToledo's picture

Two thumbs up!  Great work staff and beta testers!

pabdublin78's picture

Big surprise this morning but it looks GREAT!  

bucknut94's picture

Pictures and fonts are nice and crisp. :) It will take awhile for me to adjust with my computer deficit disorder.

jeremytwoface's picture

It looks great guys...

One question I have is if the new comments in a thread are marked somehow.

The old site they were a light yellow color. It's not a huge deal, but it was always nice to be able to scroll past old stuff and pick out the new comments easily. 

Also, If you want to embed something, does it HAVE to be a YouTube video or Tweet? Not that there's much else to embed on the internet these days... But let's say there's  a video through another website I want to embed.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Never mind about the "new comments" question. I see the little "NEW" banner on the profile pics now.... It's just a little harder to pick out. It was blending in with Urban's jacket on mine.... Actually, it looks like Urban is holding a "NEW" sign.

"New" is such a weird word.......

DowntheSideline12's picture

Banners and main forums page look great. Pretty cool changes. That being said, is there any option to view the site with the old layout?

Greg Jennings "I put my team on my back"

HighBallAce's picture

It put my Ohio State scroll bar at the bottom which is awesome. One thing though, can we make it so that we aren't logged out if we are idle for awhile. It just seems kind of annoying to have to re-log in every time. If that makes sense?

Northbrook's picture

Looks and navigates great. I'm enjoying it.

brylee's picture

Love it...especially the love the mobile app.  One issue that I am seeing though, is that the log in link for the mobile app isn't working.  Any ideas?

RBuck's picture

When it was first announced that 11W was going Beta I thought that I would have issues with my older computer and DSL. So far , so good. Only problem for me is that there is no horizontal schroll bar so I have to shrink the screen to fit. Kinda tough on my old eyeballs. Oops, no spellcheck?

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Jangs78's picture

Looks sharp!  Like anything new it will take some time to adjust to but I have no doubt this will be widely accepted.  Well done guys....as always, 11W remains on the cutting edge of all things Buckeye!

Hetuck21's picture

More hockey...more baseball.....getting...used... to....new.....site.....

Hetuck21's picture

....and I like how Ohio turns red when you mouse over the ELEVEN WARRIORS logo, top left! 

+3 HS
Buckwillie's picture

Love the site.  Is there a way to go to "first unread" within a topic rather than have to scroll down through older comments? Thanks

jeremytwoface's picture

If you go to the forum, there should be a red "NEW" button next to or right beside the total number of comments. If you click on the "NEW" button, it will take you to the first new comment on the page.

I have noticed that it takes you down just a little too far and cuts off the comment... Not a huge deal though.

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I love the search feature at the top

PittBuckeye's picture

There just isn't much to search at the moment.

-1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

There's plenty, it searches through all the old staff articles. I also enjoy what happens when your search does not produce any results

CALPOPPY's picture

Did they had that on the old version as well? I thought they did. Or I'm having deja vu.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Crimson's picture

They had it on the right side at the bottom (ie near the leaderboard and amazon purchase link).

Seattle Linga's picture

Just who in the H....... is going to start the Costanza gif topic again ?

Bucks Forever's picture

Hey guys, check out the page source. I think everyone will love it.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

Is that supposed to say Beat Michigan?

youngbuck32's picture

Great work on the new site guys! Looks different on my phone and I think it will be easier for me to navigate. Thanks!

Can't is the real "C" word!

Cusbuck's picture

I love the site guys, great work !

I do have a suggestion:   Would it be possible to add more posts to the "recent post" section on the right hand side?  Seven seems a little small.  Can we get it back up to double digits or even a baker's dozen?

Thank you for all the hard work.

I'm not saying,  I'm just saying.

Crimson's picture

The new site looks pretty cool.  However, there's just something off about it.

BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

I love the site and I know how very hard the mods and admins work on it, but I just deeply dislike this Web 2.0 thing that is going on now.  I hate it at The Onion AV Club and Slate and Salon, too.  The text is so big and widely space.  The emphasis seems to be on pretty pictures on these sites.  (It's part of the Apple-ization of the Internet...form over function.)  I just don't understand why sites would make it HARDER to find things and use things.

I'll get over it; but these kinds of formats are made to be looked at instead of used.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+2 HS
flipbuckeye's picture

I was thinking this new look would be perfect if I had an iPad. Giant tap-able pictures to take me to my articles, large fonts for easy reading.

If it was strictly for desktop use, the layout would still be OK, but I feel like the large images and fonts could be toned down a bit. 

vitaminB's picture

I like the font on the mobile site a whole lot better.

njclebuckeye5's picture

I can actually comment on my phone now. That's all I ever wanted

Lobs it to the endzone... Touchdown Devin Smith!!

The Braden's picture

I'd like to know more about the architecture of the site. Any articles on that? It's kinda my thing....

Whoa Nellie's picture

The old site had a link at the bottom with some handy instructions for posting pics and video.  I found myself going back to that link every once in awhile.  It was very helpful.  Might be missing it, but can't seem to find it now.  A basic tutorial on gifs, pics, vids and tweets would be nice to have around, IMO.

Thanks

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

36buck's picture

Need a link to post without having to scroll to bottom of comments.

After posting need a link to get to topics again. 

And on my PC the script is huge.  Looks like 2d grade level. Is that normal or just mybpc?

+1 HS
dbit's picture

Quick question... how do I access older Buckshots?  I can see the few on the right side of the page, but don't see anywhere to check back on older ones

Miles Joseph's picture

Hope everyone around here is doing well. The new site looks awesome!

+1 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

Wow the new site looks INCREDIBLE! Now I have to figure out how to navigate it. For this long time reader (and recent member) it looks like a daunting task. But I will figure it out. Like I said it looks INCREDIBLE!

Go Bucks!

741's picture

Site looks amazing on my iPad but there are some scrolling issues for me.

Jagon1119's picture

The thing I have found with scrolling on the ipad is if you go landscape and scroll on the right hand side margin it scrolls perfectly but if you scroll in the middle of the page or in portrait mode where there is no margin then it does not scroll as smoothly

+1 HS
bucknut94's picture

I can't post a link. I fill in the link information and it won't save. I try to e-mail staff about my problem and it says the e-mail wasn't sent and to contact the administrator. I can't find any information telling me how to contact the administrator. Help!

Mercurius's picture

I've given it some time and am really digging the new site now that I've found everything. Is there anyway to add comments from Buckshots and front page content so they show in the active topics in this page? Kind of a one stop shop?

Jason Priestas's picture

Probably not there, but we can look into options.