Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Save the 2+MB GIF (and the servers)!

0 HS
Earle's picture
January 27, 2016 at 1:47pm
186 Comments

Words are my stock in trade, but I also like to post an occasional GIF.  I'm not tech savvy enough to know how big they are or how to compress them, but I will frequently find the perfect response GIF only to find that it exceeds the 2MB limit.

Me when my GIF is over the limit.

I understand the reasons for the limit.  Nobody wants the servers to crash.  Nobody wants their data allowance gobbled up by a GIF-party thread.  Nobody wants pages to take forever and a day to load.  I fully support measures to keep the site running like the Buckeyes 2014 post-season offense.  But I wonder if there might be another way.

In lieu of a hard 2MB limit for GIFs, I propose a GIF tax.  I got the idea from the "What is a 12W?" thread where it was proposed that downvotes should cost you a helmet sticker.

My proposal is this:  Raise the hard limit on GIF's to a level that will allow more (most?) GIFs to be posted.  I'll defer to someone with more knowledge of such matters to determine what that size should be.  I remember Jason saying that the original Meyer Double Boom GIF was measured in TB rather than MB.  I'm not suggesting carte blanche on GIF's, but I find most quality GIFs are above 2MB.  But to limit the overuse of larger GIFs, require the poster to pay a certain number of helmet stickers for the privilege.  Ten, twenty, a hundred, I don't know what the number should be, but I've got stickers to burn and I'm willing to pay for the right to post the perfect GIF.  

I'm no programmer, but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to encode.

What say you, GIF lovers and techies?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 186 Comments