Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Mo'ne Davis

UrbanBuckeye's picture
August 15, 2014 at 5:04pm
17 Comments

For those that don't know, Mo'ne Davis is one of two girls playing in the Little League World Series. She is representing the team from Philadelphia. She just threw a complete game shutout against a team from Tennessee. Her fastball consistently hit in the upper 60s. I played high school baseball and the average fastball was typically in the mid 70s. Curious to see how she develops throughout her K-12 career. Apparently, her dream is to play point guard for Geno Auriemma at UConn. Natural athlete. Truly a remarkable story.

Rob Reese's picture

She's a talented kid.  But we haven't heard the last of Mo'ne; Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers accepted her challenge for a "pitch off" (I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what that is, but it's cool of Kershaw to accept nonetheless).

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Represent.

Buckeye fan from PA

jaxbuckeye's picture

Big deal. Put my son on a girls baseball team and I bet he can throw a shutout too. 

-8 HS
SeattleBuckeye20614's picture

You forgot to italicize for sarcasm...

+2 HS
awarren84's picture

#italics

"Anything less than flagrant is just playing grab ass!"

jaxbuckeye's picture

I was trying to make light of the absurdity. This is great for her family, the team, and especially her. But are you really surprised that a girl was able to excel at little league?  Really?    

Look I'm the father of an athletic girl who would beat the boys in push ups and sit up right up to around this age. A grown woman in MLB?  That's news.   Girls at this age are very close athletically to boys and in many cases better. 

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

Sorry but that's just not true. Your daughter is in the minority. Boys are generally athletically  superior to girls at all ages. 

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Not true. Re-watch 'The Sandlot pt.2'. 

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+3 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Specifically WHAT is not true that I wrote?  Where did I say that all girls are superior to boys?  Way to completely change what I said.  I said that in many cases girls are superior to boys.  Having been a coach and teacher, I can tell you that it's absolutely true.  No one would challenge that boys are superior in most cases.  But that doesn't diminish the ability of girls.

-2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!! 

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

I never said that you said all girls are superior to boys athletically.  But at really any age, the majority of boys are going to be athletically superior to girls. You said in your first post that this did not occur oftentimes until kids are older. I am saying that's not true . 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Anything to upset Vol Nation....

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well said K - growing up I had a girl on my team that played third base she was an unbelievable fielder, an average hitter. We ended up bringing home the hardware - so many cool memories.

KBonay's picture
NashBuckeye's picture

I live in Nashville so I would have liked to see the TN team win, but hats off to her kicking the boys butts.

cinserious's picture

How old is Mo'ne again? I have an 11 year old daughter that I wan't to show this to.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

KBonay's picture

She is 13.  Have your little one read this, 7 facts about Mo'Ne.  Seems to be an impressive all-around person:

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/08/12/meet-mone-davis-the-girl-who-pitc...