Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Thumb's Up to Norris and Oden

sharks's picture
June 15, 2014 at 11:01pm
56 Comments

Two guys representing college ball in Ohio.

Congrats to San Antonio- lunchpail, humble team, and great fans.  Complete opposite of their opponents.  Hope that one guy from Akron opts out and goes anywhere but Cleveland - when this city finally wins one, I want it to be organic, like the way SA does it; not manufactured, like Miami did.

The villains don't always win...

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Organic? LeBron is Ohio bred and born. I dont care how we get a title, I just want one.

+18 HS
SilverState's picture

Lebron haters: Grow Up

It's not worth hanging on to the hate. It's not a good look. The "decision" was dumb, but move on. Everyone else has.

sorry, rant over. 

+10 HS
Mortc15's picture

What really gets me is people say Lebron "choked" in these finals. Pretty sure none of those people watched a game, since he was the only Miami player to even half way show up any night except the 1 win. 

And I'm not a Lebron fan, just respect that he's a great player. 

Buck-I4Life

+15 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Really?  You don't understand why people feel he chocked?  Ever watch Jordan?  People are saying he choked because his stats were hollow.  He deferred way too much and waited until the game was out of reach to get most of them (I.E. exploded in the 3rd quarter).  He is VERY passive for someone that is supposed to be the best.  If San Antonio came out that way Jordan would have taken over the game from the beginning, knowing it was the only chance his team had to win.

People look at Lebron and see physical skills that have never before been in the NBA.  The expectation is that the mental side will match.  But it doesn't.  That is why people saying he is better than Jordan is laughable.

-1 HS
Mortc15's picture

This argument is getting old. MJ and Lebron are completely different players. MJ was always score first, Lebron isn't. 

And waits until it gets out of hand? Explain his 17 1st q points last night then and how he got NO help then or after? Lebron and just about everyone else knew that game and series were over when the heat only led by 7 after 1. MJ wouldn't have won with the heat team this year, IMO. 

Buck-I4Life

+8 HS
Bolt's picture

I thought LeBron was going to break out and have his legendary game that goes down in history. Thought he'd explode and put the team on his back and will them to a win. I kept waiting for it and it didn't really come. He flashes it for a quarter and then disappears for 2 straight quarters. It doesn't even have to be exclusively through scoring, but making big plays and taking over a whole game. I do agree that the rest of this Heat team is pretty much garbage. Instead of taking pay cuts and pursuing Carmelo Anthony they'd be better served to take pay cuts and invest in a non-geriatric bench, a quality point guard and/or a decent big man. They've got too many holes and just trying to smash another square peg of superstar talent into a round hole, go and try to build a true supporting cast...like SA has. But isn't this exactly why he went to Miami? A few years in and we're already complaining about his supporting cast. That excuse was supposed to be shelved when he took his talents to South Beach.

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

You must've missed Game 2. And Game 5. In Game 5, he scored 31, grabbed 10 boards and dished out 5 assists. He pretty much averaged these numbers for the playoffs. The Heat didn't lose because of a lack of effort or execution on Lebron's part.

News Flash: There's NO one in the NBA that dominates for 4 quarters a game, every game. None. The key is to be consistently good, day in and day out.

Let me remind you, and others, that this Heat team actually won 2 titles. And made it to 4 straight Finals. Yes, they've got things they could upgrade, but their only real weakness is a starting point guard. They don't need a star, just someone along the lines of Mike Conley or Jameer Nelson. Conley would lead the league in assists with the Heat.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

Mortc15's picture

They need a true big man too. Chris bosh isn't a post player. He's a 6'10 guy that wants to stand outside and shoot. 

Buck-I4Life

IGotAWoody's picture

I disagree. Bosh is an underrated defender. And offensively, there are a lot of teams that play a big man that doesn't fit the traditional center role. The center position has changed a ton in the past decade.They do just fine with the combination of Bosh and Anderson.

I do, however, wonder how this team would look with a guy like Ibaka manning the power forward position . That may be a position they look to upgrade next year. Point guard play, tho, was a glaring weakness this year. Chalmers may have peaked last year, because he just wasn't the same player this season. 

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

jaxbuckeye's picture

Not as old as your "getting everyone involved". A GOAT does whatever he has to do to will his team to victory.   As stated, where was his epic game to keep them alive?  

Mortc15's picture

One player can't beat a group of selfless, team first players. 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

People here still hate on Terrelle Pryor.

Hell people here still have on Charles Woodson. Grudges last a long time in sports.

+6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Hell people here still have on Charles Woodson.

So? He played for Michigan. Why the heck wouldn't we "hate" him?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+8 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

He's from Ohio, and I've read many an OSU fan say any Ohioan who played for Michigan is a traitor.

+1 HS

Well, he is. Really?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+7 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm a current student here, so Woodson's college days were a bit before my college football fandom. But as a Packers fan, he's one of my favorite football players of all-time. So much fun to watch in the green and gold.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Byaaaahhh's picture

As an OSU fan and Bears fan, he gets my very very reluctant respect.

Bolt's picture

He's commenting in regard to people who constantly tell other people to get over their dislike of LeBron...all the while they have players that they hate and hold a grudge against just as much and usually for far more trivial reasons, as well.

Hovenaut's picture

Woodson?

Try Howard.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Or Kalis. I had many to choose from

+1 HS

Lebron haters: Grow Up

If someone doesn't want to cheer for LeBron, they don't have to.

+8 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

I've never seen the word "hater" used more in sports that with the Heat. If you root against them, you are automatically a hater.

+7 HS
Stellar's picture

You pretty much just defined "hater" in sports - Actively rooting against a particular team or player. Unless they're playing against a team your a fan of or if them losing benefits your teams standings then rooting for them to lose just because you don't like them or the guys on their team is what being a "hater" is. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. Watching teams you hate lose can be fun but don't get upset when people use the correct word to describe it.

Fear The Elf's picture

"Hater" has a pretty strong negative  connotation for something "with nothing necessarily wrong".

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

There's a difference between not rooting for somebody, and rooting against them. I was talking about the latter.

teddyballgame's picture

I would be thrilled to have Lebron back in Cleveland.  Probably won't happen though because of Gilbert.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

He did manage to lure Mike Brown back, so you never know!

Fear The Elf's picture

I know Oden was great in 2007, but Norris actually grew up in Ohio, won a state HS title in Ohio, and was part of the best stretch of basketball in CSU history.

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Mouse McFadden and the troubled Kevin Mackey would like to discuss this.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+3 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

CSU had 2 postseason appearances prior to 2009. Then, they had 3 in 4 years. The Sweet 16 year was the best singular year, of course, but the Waters era is the strongest, IMO.

+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

<----- C'mon Carmelo

LEBRON

-2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I feel comfortable stating that LeBron's supporting cast in Cleveland was better than the Heat team this year.  Wade is a shell and Bosh has never really fit.  No one else was special.  Isn't that why he left?  I know they got to the finals 4 times and won 2...it's legit and you can't discount that.  But let's not forget how bad the East has been during this whole stretch.  In the end, my comments aren't directed towards LBJ.  The rest of the team was the joke.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+2 HS
Norwalk's picture

Some players are able to bring out the best in their teammates....Lebron isn't known for that

-5 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Honestly, even though it was a sweep, the 2007 Finals were more competitive. The total point differential for the series was 24 points. Spurs did that in 3 quarters of game 5. And was with James (understandably) playing like crap.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Deadspin just put up an article basically stating this same thing - that the 2014 Heat were worse in the Finals than the 2007 Cavs.  lolz

Class of 2010.

The Rill Dill's picture

I still can't figure out why they are called the 'BIG 3'?  Maybe the BIG1, and a couple other guys, would fit better. 

+4 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

The Decision was horrible, but I think what sticks in most people's minds is the "not 4, not 5, not 6...." stuff.  The 3 of them were just so arrogant, it's fun to watch them be humbled.

It does seem LeBron regrets all that stuff, but it happened.  You live with the choices you make in life.

I wonder what would happen if he did return to Cleveland.  I'm not sure what would help his reputation at this point.

+1 HS
MassiveAttack's picture

I know you are just repeating the standard tag line on "Lebron's Reputation."  But seriously, the guy is no:

• Ron Artest
  • Pacman Jones
  • Ndamukong Suh

I guess you can have a bad reputation for doing things right off the court, and being the game's best player on the court.  I guess Lebron should have had to foresight to tell his largest and most successful sponsor to can their campaign (The Decision) because it will make Cleveland fans hate him forever. 

But there was no way if he just said that he was not going to renew his contract that the same thing wouldn't have happened to Cleveland fans.  No Way.

-1 HS
MassiveAttack's picture

Congrats to the San Antonio Spurs, for a well deserved victory.

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

I gotta disagree. Miami was extremely humble in losing. The way they embraced and congratulated the Spurs is what you want to see in sports between two great competitors or teams. What the Spurs have done wasn't exactly "organic", but just a blueprint that Miami followed in their own way.

What people fail to realize is that the Spurs front office did an excellent job in finding a top 5 coach and giving him all the power. From there their scouting and drafting was excellent, as well as their free agent signings through out the years - however their core players should ALL be MAX deal guys - Parker, Ginobili, & Duncan could all be making 15+ million a year, but they ALL took huge paycuts to put the talent around them to WIN. I was surprised when learned that the three of them combined make LESS than 30 million.

Michael Jordan, Magic, Larry, etc. didn't have to do that because their front offices, players, & coaches were great. People forget MJ was the MVP w/ a top 50 All-Time player in Pippen as his #2, DPOY in Rodman, 6th Man in Kukoc, & COY in Phil when they went on that ridiculous 72-10 run through the regular season.

Top players take pay cuts and restructure their contracts to keep top talent all the time. It's asinine that the Heat get criticized for friends deciding to play together & take less money to try to win together. Everything doesn't always have to be competition - I for one am a guy who'd rather team up with my friends - in anything - sports, videogames, etc. - anything competitive and beat everyone else.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+9 HS

DPOY in Rodman,

6th Man in Kukoc,

Neither were there for MJ's first 3-peat.

It's asinine

I didn't realize Stephen A was a member of 11w. XD

Gametime's picture

Neither were there for MJ's first 3-peat.

True that, but Horace Grant was an All-Star, All Defensive 2nd Team player, not to mention their knock down shooters w/ three guys shooting at or above 40% from 3PT range. (Hodges, Paxson, Armstrong)

I didn't realize Stephen A was a member of 11w. XD

XD

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

What the Spurs have done wasn't exactly "organic", but just a blueprint that Miami followed in their own way.

Outside of Wade & Haslem (and Cole & Chalmers I think?), who did the Heat draft?  LBJ, Bosh, Battier, Allen, Andersen, Lewis...no.

He's saying the Spurs have kept this core around for awhile, drafted extremely well for not being in the top 10 for a long time, kept the same coach and management around, and didn't just have superstars come together and say, hey let's win a title...here.  That also caused guys like Battier and Allen to take ridiculously low contracts to play there because they wanted to ride the train to a championship.  The OP is just saying he prefers Cleveland to get the majority of their roster together through the draft...good luck with that though lol

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

Oh I gathered that, but what I meant by saying it wasn't exactly "organic" was that the Spurs "only" drafted Duncan, Parker, Manu, & Splitter (and Corey Joseph) on this current roster. Now obviously drafting 3 future HoF within 2 year spans (97, 99, 01 respectively) is an amazing feat, but all the other key cogs have been through trades and free agency. People can't forget how big guys like Robert Horry, Steven Jackson, and now Diaw, Leonard, & Mills have been. San Antonio has been able to make those trades & signings because Parker, Manu, & Duncan have taken far less money than their market value.

On the flip side, I think the OP only feels that way because LeBron left. He was drafted by the Cavs, but if it was a scenario where, Carmelo, Dwade, or CP3, etc, became free agents and LeBron took less money for them to come to the Cavs with him (and he tried) or the Cavs traded for that type of player (and they tried) I don't think people would have a problem with it.

As a matter of fact, I'd love to see LeBron opt out, and take Melo with him to Cleveland while the Cavs draft Joel Embiid.

Kyrie, LeBron, Melo, Embid, & Varejao would be a great starting 5 IMHO.

hobochops987's picture

That one guard lineup do.

Trust in UFM

MassiveAttack's picture

You can hate Lebron or whatever player you want to your heart's content, but what the heck does "Organic" even mean? 

Doesn't every professional team pay their players?  Doesn't every team have the ability to hire who they want, and how much they choose to pay them?  Whether Spurs, Heat, Lakers, Yankees or Red Sox, each organization has to craft an actual team from individuals.  Miami is no less "organic" than any other team.

+1 HS
gobucks96's picture

Don't hate Lebron, just not too upset at the very high paid player getting a slice of humble pie from time to time... 

I would have liked to see Greg Oden get a ring.. I hope he can hang in the league and get back to game shape soon..

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Um, Cole was horrendous and Oden didn't even play.  Are they representing ("in"...as you put it?) Ohio mostly from the bench?

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Oden didn't even dress up last night.

LEBRON

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Norris Cole didn't have a good Finals, but he was outstanding in the ECF. He's a relentless on ball defender, and gave Lance Stephenson nightmares. Don't disrespect Cole, the guy is playing way above expectations.

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Did you see his Finals PER? Enough said.

IGotAWoody's picture

Did you read my comment? Did I say he had a good Finals?

-1 HS
Eph97's picture

I feel sorry for Lebron. It's not fair to expect him to win without Chris Paul running point, Dwight Howard at center, and maybe Kevin Durant to replace that aging Dwayne Wade.  <Sarcasm font clearly on>

Outstanding. lol

-2 HS
Jake321's picture

I don't understand how people can say that this heat team is terrible or not what they were last year. This is the same team that beat the spurs a year ago. And I don't get it when people say the heat are old, but that excuse seems kinda ridiculous because that didn't stop Duncan (38), ginobili (36), and Parker (32). The heat on the other hand have lebron (29), bosh (30), and wade (32). I watched almost every game during the finals and what I saw was quit from the heat. Almost every game except game 2 the heat just didn't seem to be playing hard and seemed okay with a blow out (reminiscent of Cleveland playing the celtics a few years ago)?

This is the same team that beat the spurs a year ago.

Minus Mike Miller, and David Stern.

Last year SA choked away the Finals.

-1 HS