Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup in one week!! What is your unbiased opinion of the USA squad?

0 HS
jeremytwoface's picture
June 5, 2014 at 9:35am
94 Comments

The World Cup starts one week from today and I was wondering what people thought the USA's chances are. I know there has been a little discussion about it before, but I figured I would put it in a centralized place. (sorry in advanced for the length)

First and foremost, I think the process FIFA uses to pick the groups needs to change. In no way should Mexico be in an easier group than the US when the US cruised  through qualifying and Mexico had to win a playoff game to get there.

No for my prediction... This is as unbiased as I can get.

I think the US will beat Ghana without too much problems. I think all they will be hearing up to that game will be how Ghana has knocked them out of the last 2 Cups. I think that's enough motivation to come away with a win. Hopefully it's a big win because they may need the differential. I'm going to say it will be a 3-1 win for the US.

Next is Portugal which will be tough. Most people believe that Portugal is just Ronaldo and 10 other guys. I believe that to an extent, but they are still a strong team. I think if the US can come away with a draw here, it would be perfect. And I believe it's very possible ---- 1-1 draw is my prediction.

Ok... It comes down to this. Hopefully, Germany will have won both of their games up to this point. That would put Germany with 6 points, the US with 4 points, Portugal with 1 and Ghana with 0. If that happens, Germany might play almost a "B" squad or not play as hard to avoid injuries. That's really the only chance I give the US. Germany is in my top 3 or 4 of teams that could win the whole thing. If Germany doesn't try as hard or plays a "B" team, I could maybe see the US squeaking out a draw... But even Germany's B team is excellent. In all actuality, I see the US losing this one by at least 2 goals. I will go with a 3-1 victory for Germany.

So this is where goal differential is vital. If it plays out as above (all hypothetical), the US will have a 0 goal differential. It then will come down to whether Portugal beats Ghana and by how much... And it is also important how much Germany beats Portugal by.

Hopefully 3 weeks and about 5 or 6 hours from now we will be heading to the group stage.... But from what I've seen from our back line the past few games and the fact that they are going to have to stop the likes of Christiano Ronaldo and the crazy Germany attack, I'm not sure it's going to happen. Not to mention that, even if they do get out of the the group stage, they will probably be facing Belgium in the Final 16.... I wouldn't give them too much of a chance in that game either.

So what do you all think?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 94 Comments