Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Baker & Stump Speak Out Against Violence Toward Women

703Buckeye's picture
August 18, 2014 at 3:25pm
10 Comments
Baker & Stump

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Two area high school football players, Benedictine’s Jerome Baker and St. Edward’s Alex Stump, contacted the Northeast Ohio Media Group last month about an Aug. 23 event they are planning for fellow players featured in July during a 31-day cleveland.com series.

Baker and Stump are inviting those players – as well as all local varsity football players -- to take a pledge with them against sexual assault and violence against women and girls.

They have contacted the other players featured in the cleveland.com series of 31 athlete profiles entering the fall season and have written a letter of invitation to all varsity players in Northeast Ohio.

These young men may not be committed to OSU (Florida & Kentucky) but they will forever be players I follow because of this initiative. I think this is great thing Baker & Stump are doing, spreading the word about stopping violence toward women. Hopefully there will be more Baker's and Stump's cropping up and fewer Ray Rice's in the world.

Read Baker and Stump's letter to fellow players here: http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/1135945398136569951/benedictines-jerome-baker-and-st-edwards-alex-stump-invite-area-football-players-to-take-pledge-against-sexual-assault-violence-on-women/#incart_m-rpt-2

On that note, never tolerate violence against women. If you see it, report it and if you can educate others, do so.

Mike Rockstedt's picture

Baker and Stump are two of the classiest recruits I have spoken with. 

703Buckeye's picture

What really blows me away is the maturity and initiative these two young men have shown at such a young age. I was a pretty well-behaved kid going into my senior year of high school but I was focused more on what I was benching and how to get lucky with my girlfriend, haha.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
Texasbucksfan's picture

Two very classy young men

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

never tolerate violence

This should be the message for men and women.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+8 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Very positive thing these two young men are doing. It shouldn't matter where they're from, but I'm a little bit prouder knowing they are sons of Ohio.

+2 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Making a pledge to obey the law?  

Count me in.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

Stuff like this makes Baker going to UF even harder.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

That, and the fact that he is the best recruit in that dumpster fire down there.

BroJim's picture

This is pretty awesome

I season my simple food with hunger

AndyVance's picture

This is outstanding. Well done, Gentlemen.

And in a completely unrelated thought, I love the Captain America gloves Baker is sporting in the picture.