Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson (time to move on)

GirthBrooks's picture
June 12, 2014 at 7:03pm
154 Comments

Per ari wasserman cleveland. Com-After his last visit to Tennessee, has renamed them his leader.
Has also moved ohio state to last on his list. Mentions he can't remember the last time he has seen an ohio state coach or talked to one. Has made zero effort to make a trip up to columbus. This situation looks bleak

MacG91's picture

He's a poor mans Terelle Pryor, not as fast, not as strong, not as big, not as powerful of an arm. But just as cocky. Something tells me that we'll be fine without him. 

Mac..yeah

+23 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

Yeah, but even a poor man's Pryor could be pretty sweet in a Tom Herman offense.  I, for one, would really like to see what he could do.

+16 HS
otrain2416's picture

This may be true, but I can guarantee you Herman will not be an offensive coordinator for us anymore by the time he's ready to play.

+10 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

Disagree with you on his ability, MacG91. Have you seen his highlight video? As a throwing QB, meh. But as a running QB the guy is ridiculous and it's not like he's playing weak or slow competition.

I would agree that we'll be just fine without him, though.

+3 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

The elite WR prospects don't want a "meh throwing arm" getting them the ball. That being said, I bet he's a Buckeye when its all said and done. Its all contingent on whether or not he makes the trip up here, but I have a gut feeling we get him.

osugreg04's picture

I'd actually call Kenny G a poor man's Terrelle Pryor... and I'd take a million more just like him!

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/06/torrance_gibson_rearranges_his.html

I guess they're supposed to keep begging him to come visit?  At what point do you run out of things to say on the phone? 
He will probably have spent weeks on campus at Tennessee and Auburn by the end of the summer.

Go1Bucks's picture

I think the staff is tired of playing the game with him.  Either he visits or not.  Otherwise, why bother.

Go Bucks!

+21 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Haskins

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+11 HS
TheNorthernBuckeye's picture

Would rather have Waller.  I'm not interested in an athlete who can play quarterback, I want a quaterback who is an athlete.  

"You're an angry football team, and I'm proud to be your coach." - UFM

+45 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

This.  1000 times this!

+6 HS
GirthBrooks's picture

Thanks for Adding The link.
He spent 4 days at Tennessee. Guess columbus was too far for a stop in? It's clear osu is not pursuing him anymore and are not offering waller. If They are happy with burrow, so am I

+15 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

If you can make the trip up to Tennessee, you can make it to Columbus. Whatever.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Meyer has really screwed up QB recruiting these last two classes, there's simply no other way to put it.

+1 HS
stevebelliseeya's picture

LOL at that nonsense.

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+9 HS
305Buck's picture

Nonsense how?

Waited too long to offer Allen while chasing Watson, Allen then commits to A&M.

Wimbush was all set to commit to Ohio State at the beginning of the year, then "pushes his timeline back" over and over again, then commits to Penn State. While Meyer was obviously waiting on Gibson.

+31 HS
GirthBrooks's picture

I have to agree with 305, they passed on Henderson and barker as well to wait on watson. Both top 10 dual threat guys. Did the same with wimbush.

+21 HS
305Buck's picture

Exactly, I'm not one of those fans who thinks Meyer can do no wrong when it comes to recruiting. Everyone makes mistakes and he clearly made two huge ones by chasing Watson and Gibson and passing on lots of talented QBs.

+14 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Yeah, because that Collier guy is just a scrub. Pull his scholarship.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-10 HS
305Buck's picture

No one said Collier is a scrub, but he was clearly Ohio State's 4th or 5th option in the 2014 class.

+19 HS

When you say Urban screwed up, you're implying that he is.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-3 HS
305Buck's picture

No, when I say Urban screwed up, I meant he missed out on high ranked QBs who wanted to be Buckeyes, by chasing two other QBs who 1. was already committed to another school, and 2. another who never even tried to make it up to Ohio State.

+11 HS
Todd-Not Boeckmann's picture

I don't think Urban can do no wrong.  I find it laughable that ANY fan can pretend he has a better handle on the situation than ANY coach.  You were privey to the discussions between recruit and host coaches?  You tapped the phones in the coach's offices to know what was said in conversation between Urban and a recruit's HS Coach or another coach who faced recruit?  You overheard the conversation between Tom HErman and Urban Meyer where Tom Herman yelled at Urban for mishandling the recruiting process ona recruit?  You've seen all the game film on the recruit, not just the cherry-picked highlight reel that is Youtube?

Ok.  Thanks for playing.

On the wall guarding the North Coast from all Weasel invasions.

+10 HS
Furious George 27's picture

So you would rather have him not go after the QBs he wants and focus on the more attainable ones that are not high on his list? That does not really make sense. Its recruiting, you go after the best player that fits your need and sometimes you get them sometimes you don't.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+9 HS
allinosu's picture

And sometimes you get a Krenzel and win a NC.

+2 HS

Did the same with wimbush.

Wimbush had an offer. He chose Penn State instead. :/

+10 HS
305Buck's picture

Wimbush had an offer but kept "pushing his timeline back" at the beginning of the year. He pushed his commitment date back at least 3 or 4 separate times before deciding to go with Penn State.

+4 HS

He's not the first kid to push back his commitment date.

+3 HS
305Buck's picture

If you don't understand why he pushed his commitment date back, then there's really no reason to continue this discussion.

+4 HS

So you know the reason? Care to share a link of why he did?

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Does it take a rocket scientist to figure this out?

Gibson was told he's our #1 QB target during the winter & spring, Wimbush pushed his decision date back 3 or 4 separate times during that time period. Spring game pasts and Gibson still hasn't made it up to Columbus, all of a sudden you hear Wimbush saying "Meyer told me I'm their #1 QB target."

-1 HS

In other words you don't actually know. Ok.

+11 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

305Buck is under impression that Urban was having Wimbush push back his commitment date while he waited on Gibson. This is false. Urban would've taken Wimbush's commitment at any time. Wimbush pushed back his commitment date on his own and just chose PSU.

+12 HS
SonOfBuckeye's picture

Does it take a rocket scientist to figure this out?  Gibson was told he's our #1 QB target during the winter & spring, Wimbush pushed his decision date back 3 or 4 separate times during that time period. Spring game pasts and Gibson still hasn't made it up to Columbus, all of a sudden you hear Wimbush saying "Meyer told me I'm their #1 QB target."

305, love most of your posts, but I don't understand your certainty.  It's possible OSU told Wimbush to hold off.  It's possible Wimbush felt less certain over time about his interest in OSU, and just decided he preferred PSU.

(Waller said OSU told him he was their top QB target after Wimbush committed and Gibson appeared to be fading.  I don't recall Wimbush ever saying OSU named him #1, but maybe I missed that.)

+3 HS
Hayze's picture

Yes.

I will agree with you about last year. We would have had Kyle Allen in the bag but we chose to chase Watson who really didn't have any interest in us. Was all Clemson. I wouldn't say he screwed it up because I like Collier but we certainly could have done better.

This year however, we offered Wimbush, he was set to commit, then other coaches started negatively recruiting us regarding Gibson. We didn't slow play him he just bought the other coaches saying he was behind Gibson. That's why he pushed it back. Then he chose Penn State. We would have taken his commitment any time. Many insiders (Alex) can attest to that.

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

It does seem as though we have not gotten our QB of choice so far but to say Urban has totally screwed it up is a stretch. Hell, these kids have yet to even play a snap. Urban has a good enough track record for me to believe in who he brings in.

buckeyebobcat

+16 HS
ronbizi's picture

Very well said.  He may have not gotten his first choices, but the jury will be out for a few more years before we find out if he screwed up recruiting qbs in his first few buckeye classes.

+3 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Agree - it's always nice to say we had the highest rated player recruited and committed to the good guys, but as many other discussions and statistics have shown, it comes down to how our coaches can develop their talent to help us win.  Did we win it all in 2002 with the best players in every position?  No.

That's not to suggest that we shouldn't recruit 4-5 star players, since talent is still talent, but it's really only 1/3 of the equation in my books (the other 2/3 being coaching/development, and team chemistry)... wait, this sounds like Kight now...

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

305, first bravo to you for having the courage. Some on here think it blasphemy to criticize a coach. They fail to realize it makes you no less a fan of Urban. We ALL screw up. I, too, agree with you that the QB recruiting has been mishandled the last couple of years. Sucks. It happens. Hopefully Urban can learn from it. 

+9 HS

for having the courage.

Courage? It's not like he would get banned for saying it.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

No, he won't get banned. He will just get a giant bitch fest from users like you, pretty damn annoying.

LEBRON

+17 HS

pretty damn annoying.

Kind of like saying someone is whining because they don't agree with him.

+5 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

We didn't get some targets we wanted. I can see how that could be considered failure. But you don't know how the recruits we did get are going to turn out. Call it a screw-up when you see our QBs actually play a down of college football.

stevebelliseeya's picture

*double

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

GirthBrooks's picture

Travis waller says he talks to osu coaches(Tom herman) every week, yet no offer. Gibson hasn't talked to osu coaches in "can't remember when". Are they really pursuing another QB? If they are it's clearly NOT Gibson. And he doesn't even have the interest level to visit.

+8 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

^^^^^^This is awesome

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+4 HS
zebiraross's picture

I don't think there is any argument with 305's assessment with where we stand.

Zeb

+8 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

other than the fact that his assumption is incorrect. sorry, but Wimbush changed his announcement date on his own; Urban would've accepted his commitment at anytime.

+6 HS
305Buck's picture

You call my assessment an assumption, yet you assume that Urban would have accepted Wimbush's commitment at anytime...

+8 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

If I cared to, I'd hunt down the links proving my point but it's not worth the trouble. Even then, I think the info is behind a paywall so you wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

You are well intentioned but incorrect. You're right in that he blew it when he stuck with Watson longer than he should've, but he did handle the QB recruiting differently this time. He wanted 2 QB's but only if 1 was Gibson, and he told several QB's that there were his #1 QB which shouldn't surprise anyone.

+2 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

I remember reading on Scout awhile back that Wimbush was turned off a bit by potentially having to compete with somebody like Gibson, which made PSU much more appealing because he could come in and be the man. That and his mother was a PSU alum or something. I don't recall what 247 said about it. Bottom line: Urban wasn't pushing him to hold off his announcement.

+4 HS
Hayze's picture

This.

We would have taken Wimbush's commitment any time but he got turned off.

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Sarasota, while 305 may not be able to prove his belief on Waller , conversely you cannot prove yours. 

+1 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

Jaxbuckeye, the difference is that I'm regurgitating what Scout and 247 insiders have been saying for a long time while 305 is just winging it. Doubt me? Do a trial membership for either site and see for yourself. I suggest 305 do the same thing.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Dude I'm on both of those sites, neither one reported that Wimbush could commit at anytime he wanted to because just like you and me, they aren't Meyer so they don't know what Meyer would have allowed him to do.

You think it's a coincidence that Wimbush pushed his timeline back 3 different times, during the time period that Gibson was told he's our #1 QB target, and everyone believed Gibson was all Buckeye?

sarasotabcg's picture

if you're a member of both sites like you claim then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think you'll be doing fellow 11w posters a favor by coming clean.

as for the #1 QB talk, again, it's irrelevant. Off the top of my head I know Gibson, Waller, and Wimbush have all been told they're our #1. Probably said the same to Murray and Stidham. They also told both Clark and Hentges that they were our #1 TE. Lots of recruits get told they're our #1 guy.

+1 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

what i see in common with an assessment and and assumption... pretty much both have to start with an a..

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Our QB recruiting has been somewhat disappointing the last 2 years. Not sure why but oh well. I'm confident that Meyer will land an elite prospect next year such as Dwayne Haskins. Funny that it now seems like we have a much better shot at landing McFadden than Gibson when a few months ago it was the exact opposite. 

-1 HS
Northbrook's picture

Which of those QBs we got the last two years hasn't worked out?

+5 HS
OSU069's picture

What do you mean hasn't worked out? They haven't played. BTW Inwas just talking about Collier and Burrow, not J.T Barrett. Barrett was Meyers first choice. Collier and Burrow were down on the list, whether we like to admit it or not. I'm not saying that they won't be good, but they are just a little underwhelming as far as a national championship type of quarterback.

-5 HS
UrbanDreamz's picture

Underwhelming would have probably been a word used in the recruitment of the last QB who won OSU a National Championship.  Its too bad in 1999 John Cooper missed out on Chris Simms, C.J. Leak, J.P. Losman, Colby Freeman, A.J. Suggs and Kyle Boller. 

"Twelve months ago on Jan. 9, my mom's birthday, I made the decision to come back. I had one goal in mind and that was to win a national championship."  ~Mike Doss

+2 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

You must be referring to the "Craig Krenzel" type of National Championship QB...

OSU069's picture

I said that I think they will be good. Krenzel was clutch and a gamer. He didn't put up great numbers and didn't have a lot of talent, but he got it done when it counted. You can't really compare them. 

-1 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

You mentioned national championship-type qb's and I named a qb with a championship, so it is a valid comparison. Am I comparing Craig Krenzel to any current recruit directly? Absolutely not.  My point is having a 5* under center doesn't automatically qualify you for championships.  Look at a guy like Greg McElroy. Maybe rated a bit higher by the services, but still a 3* high-intelligence, quick decision maker like Collier. With a defense and a running game, mediocre qb's can go far. See Kaepernick, Colin.

OSU069's picture

JT Barrett was a great get out of texas but there is no way that you could be completely satisfied with Collier and Burrow at QB, the most important position in football, at an elite school like Ohio state. 

-4 HS
Furious George 27's picture

What have you seen from Burrow and Collier to say that we should not be satisfied with them? I kind of have a problem with labeling people that we have no clue about.... Its really all on the player and the coaches to develop them into that star that we want once they step on campus.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+5 HS
GirthBrooks's picture

Fwiw I do trust the staff. They have their "virtual board" & know who they want and will or will not take if possible. All we can do is look at rankings and perceive. It is confusing though

+4 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

I'll take the top qb in Ohio and call it a success every yr. They stoppes pursuing him. Wouldn't say they blew it they took a kid they offered over waller and a lot of others

O'Deez330
stark county football

Groveport Heisman's picture

This is pretty contradictory of what a staff member here wrote,think it was said its Gibson or nobody as a 2nd QB option. I like a few others think Waller is the real prize at the QB position. Hopefully this can help the Gibson fans move along without too much heartbreak. I mean how upset can you be with a girl you never even met telling you she isn't interested.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+11 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Trust the coaches.  If they stopped calling him, they either think it's a lost cause or they have their QB.  They also may be very comfortable with the QB's we already have like Jones and Barrett.  Remember the excitement when Barrett committed?  I think he'll be a great one.

+12 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Everything happens for a reason. I would love to land Gibson, but if he ain't coming he ain't coming.. This is Ohio State not a one man band. Next man up.. Anyway we have quarterbacks, quarterbacks with good potential. Trust the staff. I bet my bottom dollar he gets up there for an official visit. Let's see what happens then..

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+8 HS
rbesr's picture

I've thought all along that he was just jacking OSU around. Rocky Top isn't that far a drive from Cbus and yet he never made any attempt to drive a few hours farther north. It was always "maybe in the summer" or "maybe this fall I'll schedule a visit". IMO he just wanted to keep getting the attention from the staff here with no intention of coming. Of the two, I prefer Waller over Gibson plus we don't need a troublesome diva in the backfield.

\

+8 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Let's move on.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+38 HS
Blackout1111's picture

5 star athletes bring other 5 star athletes with them when they commit, bust or not....

+9 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Good thing the coaching staff is recruiting quite a few other blue-chippers.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+5 HS
Mortc15's picture

Burrow and done seems like a fine qb class to me but it is surprising if they've cut ties with Gibson that Waller hasn't been offered, especially considering his interest and the longstanding thought that osu would definitely try to take 2 qbs in this class. Either way, the qb situation is in good hands. 

Buck-I4Life

+3 HS
Texasbucksfan's picture

I love a QB whose Dad that is a college Defensive coordinator.  

+2 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

Tennessee already has 2 QBs committed. Are they taking 3?

+2 HS

Hah really. I  was thinking the same thing. Butch is selling these kids lies and I bet he has plans for Gibson as a big time WR.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jaxbuckeye's picture

Come on man, even though it's Tennessee, they're still in the SEC.  They fish with a net and throw back the small ones.

+3 HS

Whats that have to do with them taking 3 QB's? I havent seen many recruiting classes in my time have 3 QB's in it. Yes one is a athlete but he has publicly stated he was promised to start out as a QB.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I believe that the kid is actually going to utilized as an ATH, honestly, they're mostly after Gibson to be a WR from what I am hearing. He doesn't even play QB for his 7 on 7 team...sup wit dat?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Things can change, we could still land him. When it's all said and done I'm not worried about the prospects we could of had, i'm concerned with developing the the guys we have

I season my simple food with hunger

+4 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

It sucks being us. 

+8 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I think the Waller offer could still be to come but we will see. I think it's a matter being sure if he's offered, he'll commit.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

Mortc15's picture

If it's coming, it has to be soon. He made a legit visit to Bama that many thought he'd commit on. If they wait too long, I think he may say too late even if they offer after he commits somewhere. Who knows though, they talk often so maybe they're just waiting until he does visit. 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

I think with Gibson it is as simple as this: it is clear that Meyer & Co want character and leadership in their quarterbacks. See: Barrett and Collier. As soon as Gibson demonstrated these were lacking, they started going quiet. 

+10 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture

I think that we need to get him up here for an official visit. Are those payed for by the athletic department? I'm under the impression that they are. If so, see if we can get him up here for the Michigan game instead of going to the iron bowl, where he'll probably choose to be that weekend. You show him how great Columbus is ( I was angry about living in Cleveland after visiting Columbus the 1st time), & you see if you can get a few former Buckeyes to greet him at the woody. Just bring him into the woody, have Troy Smith, Eddie George, Archie Griffin & maybe Braxton Miller waiting for him in their Buckeye jerseys. Then have Braxton hand him his very own #6 Ohio State jersey, say some corny line like "Someone's gotta pick up where I left off", & then he can take a picture with all the legends wearing his #6 jersey. That would be the recruiting picture to end all recruiting pictures, it would probably mean a lot to him. Then, we beat Michigan down with him in attendance. Also, there's a reason Cam Newton chose Florida before he messed up & got kicked out. Someone should bring that up. Right now, Cam Newton is what Auburn has going for them in my opinion. Then to seal the deal: INTRODUCE HIM TO AN ARMY OF OSU BAGMEN AT THE NEAREST WAFFLE HOUSE. #BOOM #TheGameJustChanged

I'm a pretty young guy myself, & this would probably blow my mind if I were a recruit.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, & Michigan still sucks

+4 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Yes there paid for. And that might be the case. He will visit.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

-2 HS
sharks's picture

Is Waller a package deal with his h.s. wr with the strange name?  That would be two quality gets...

Also, I cancelled my PD subscription a few yrs back-is that Ari guy new? He seems on top of things.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

teddyballgame's picture

nah, you don't see package deals much anymore

the glenville kids last year i guess

s.pasadena fl's picture

OSU. lack of interest in Gibson coincides with his Dismissal from high school!

Ed Hopper

-1 HS
Hayze's picture

FWIW Alex is saying that the lack of contact is on Gibson's part, though it doesn't really seem like our coaches care too much.

+7 HS
d1145fresh's picture

It is amazing to me how OSU is supposedly having a down couple of years recruiting when we have Herman's personal selection in Barrett (who mind you was/is one of the top duel threat QBs in his class even with an injury shortened senior year) and a guy in Collier who made it to the Elite 11 finals last year and according to the updates from Birm and others has been one of the hardest workers of the incoming freshman class.

That does sound like a down couple of years. 

+9 HS
Northbrook's picture

Some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. If there s no legit gripe they will invent one.

+7 HS
DannyBeane's picture

If this is true, I wish Gibson the best of luck but I'm a fan of the quarterbacks we have now and in the future. Jones,Barrett, Collier, Burrow, and Clark are gonna be future stars and I'm sure we'll knock out next years quarterback search out of the park.

+2 HS
SCARLETAND GREY SINCE 1975's picture

we wasn't even in the running, we all should know this by now. when he took visits during spring break and didn't stop to say hi. it just sucks cause we lost out on a couple of good kids. ( wimbush-nunez ) but as always " keep calm " and this class will come together like always!!! go bucks O-H-

yep

-2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Man it sucks being a Buckeye fan... maybe one day we'll get the highly rated recruits we want. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

-1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

BIRM!  Can you offer insight???????  It seemed that Urban was really high on him but confounding that Gibson hasn't heard from them.   Also, you said Gibson or no one. Ultimately what does that mean?

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

I'll touch base on this Sunday afternoon, but bottom line is this: Unless - or until - Gibson visits Ohio State he's not really worth talking about. The Buckeyes are not going anywhere, with or without him. They know he's incredibly talented, but there's more to being a success in college football than just having talent. 

buckguyfan1's picture

In the meantime Birm, we are going to find something else to worry about. 

+9 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Are there any plans for any other visits? Heard rumblings of a future Waller visit, but unless we hear from Birm, it's just rumor and hearsay. You know how it is.

jaxbuckeye's picture

I look forward to reading it.  Maybe you can clarify for me because I am really confused.  I get that nothing happens until he visits.  That's expected.  I also get that the Buckeyes look at more than talent.  However, if adding him is dependent on a visit, wouldn't they still want to maintain contact?  By the sound of it, they've completely cut off communication with him.  I just don't understand the approach if he is, as everyone has said, their number one target.

To add to the confusion, Waller, who doesn't have an offer, talks to Herman every week?  I am lost on the QB recruiting.

+2 HS
bedheadjc's picture

there's more to being a success in college football than just having talent. 

Ooooooooo, wonder what the subtext of this comment is? Prima donna attitude? Grade/character issues. Interesting.

allinosu's picture

Yes, he is very talented athletically, but leaves a lot to be desired in some areas of his passing abilities at the present time.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Gibson scheduled another visit to Tennessee for the 21st.

Kid is going to end up at Tennessee, only to never be heard of again.

That team is going nowhere anytime soon.

+4 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

305 - I see your passion for your opinions - for this, I salute you.  Here's my question... would you have  a team full of 5 stars or win the national title - and you can't have both.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

-1 HS
305Buck's picture

I would win a national championship, which the SEC has shown the past 10 years that top recruiting classes lead to.

+1 HS
BUCKSOMIES's picture

Meh.  Move along, nothing to see here.

BengalErnst's picture

Since we don't want Waller, let's just move onto the 2016 QBs

Nicholas l Ernst

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Haskins is legit. 

I'm on Team Haskins.

+3 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Is he a Buckeye lean?

irishfury's picture

I know his child hood dream was to be a buckeye.

MackRM408's picture

Didnt want him anyway

+5 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Great player, but if he wants to go somewhere else, nothing we can do (please don't try on Twitter).  Would still love to have him, but if that's his choice or Urban's, so be it.

+4 HS
KingsRite's picture

In a couple of years all we will be doing is running up the middle...

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+2 HS
cdkmike's picture

i been saying for months gibson would never visit i hope we move own he to much drama seems like me first person not team first i could be wrong but thtas my take go buckeyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael green

-2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I think he commits to Tennessee over the summer, and they work on him hard not to visit anywhere else. I have many friends who are Tennessee fans and the consensus is that if they can keep him from visiting OSU, he's all theirs.

BuckeyeJ's picture

I listened to the BM5 this morning. I know Birm will have an update Sunday (happy fathersday to all) but they said it the coaches might have stopped because of the "incident" at the school where TG was suspended from spring ball. 

Although I was not excited about Collier at first, I feel more confident in him because his work ethic. And I trust in the staff. I don't feel they just throw out scholl us to just anyone.

Now JT I was excited about. First hand picked QB by Meyer/Herman! Very highly rated qb out of Texas and many feel he will be the QB to beat out. Going back and watching his highlight tape and you will see why, and last year he ran the scout team and looked great!. Then we have Jones. Great size, moble, and a strong arm. And since Burrow received an offer, we know that Herman has watched him throw multiple times because it's a hop skip and jump down to the plains outside Athens. 

We are also still in for Waller according to Waller. He will compete at the Opening in July. He would be a fantastic get. I think I have heard he has only been a qb for a little over a year? So plenty of upside!

+7 HS
OSUBias's picture

Collier reminds me of a slightly more athletic Chris Leak. Can't argue with what Urban got him to accomplish.

Shitter's full

+1 HS
Aesculus.'s picture

^^ Yes.  Bnuts asked him why OSU was 7th on his list.  He said cause they "haven't talked to him in weeks".  I'd say that means we've stopped recruiting him.  

11/8/2014 @Michigan State aka Payback

+5 HS
e135800's picture

Who is this Torrance Gibson fellow that you keep mentioning?

+7 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He's pretty good, but he's no Timmons.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

anyone else happy with the idea of Burrow being the only QB in the class? Im stoked he's a buckeye, forget Gibson for now. I think its obvious Gibson loves attention and 'love', which is fine, but not a type of player I'd want at OSU. Ill take humble and hard worker over someone that has to live in the spotlight.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I'd love to have Gibson to be honest. However, he's not a make or break the program kind of player for OSU. He is not TP. If Barrett starts for 3 years that gets OSU to Clark does it not? Well, at least it would get them to a time when Clark was on the roster anyway, with Burrow and Collier conceivably still in Columbus as well.

IMO, he'd be a HUGE get for Tennessee. He could be a great fit for that system. I was just hoping he wouldn't land in the SEC...

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I thought we already did...

+2 HS
OSUBias's picture

If our barometer for recruiting success or failure is Urban not getting his pick of the litter year in and year out, then not only has our QB recruiting been a failure, but so has every other position. I just can't believe we can't get 25 5 star guys to sign every year, 12 months in advance!!!!!

There are a lot of great players at every position, every year. The staff picks the ones to go after, regardless of rating. The update that order (I'm just guessing, but they do) all the time. Seeing a kid throw, having him visit and seeing his character, looking at his grades, his conduct off the field: all of these things can move a kid up or down the list. We don't know where people stand on the list, but if they commit to OSU the staff obviously wants them here. Just because they weren't the first choice at the beginning of the recruiting cycle doesn't mean they aren't by the time they commit.

As has been frequently said, Urban will bank a scholarship rather than offer one to someone he doesn't think deserves it. He's better at recruiting than everyone but a handful of coaches. I have to imagine he's sleeping just fine with who we end up signing. This year will be no different.

Shitter's full

+2 HS
LouBuck35's picture

Does anyone else believe our recent quarterback play has considerably spoiled us?  Recent history fills our minds with Troy, TP and Braxton - all 3 who worked themselves into being all-time Buckeye greats.  I believe that for Coach Meyer/Herman's system, we don't NEED an all time great QB, nor do we need the most electric running QB.  Miller and Pryor both have made considerable contributions running the football, but we don't need our QB to run for 1,000 yards.  We need someone who knows the system inside and out, makes the right reads, is athletic/mobile enough to be a pseudo threat, and someone who can deliver the ball to open guys.  Who's to say that J.T, Cardale, Collier, Burrow or Clark aren't able to do that?  No one has seen them in true game action yet.  As I said in another thread a while back - either Gibson will come here, or he won't.  The sun will still rise and set and we will still be Ohio State.

I don't have any capacity or ability to critique the staff's decision making when it comes to the players that think will succeed in their system.  I believe they will make the best decisions they can make for the future of the program and I am also confident in their ability to develop a winning football team.

The tl;dr version:  We are incredibly blessed to still be in one of the golden ages of Ohio State football.  We can't expect EVERY QB that comes into our program to be top 5 all time at their position.  Viewing YouTube and reading Birm's articles don't make me an expert talent evaluator, so if a player is good enough for Urban et.al, they are good enough for me.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+3 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

The sun will still rise and set and we will still be Ohio State.

... and the little boys blue will still suck.

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

Chief B1G Dump's picture

It's official, Chief B1G Dump is officially burned out on Torrance Gibson talk.

+6 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

One thing Ive noticed and think is part of the game, is that recruits know that OSU is a machine and gets exposure whenever they list a target.  I thing that some recruits list us without any intention of going here, just for that purpose.  Think about it, if we go for a recruit, which other big names go for him just to take away what they think we may need.  While at the same time, the media keeps their names in the headlights.   Not saying it is a big driving force, but to a HS kid - it could play into it.

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
irishfury's picture

Now I really really wanted Gibson.  Then I heard when we picked up Burrows he called Rivals or some recruiting site and had us move him from warmer to warm.  Thats when I stopped caring about him.  I don't know if its true but it made my spidey since tingle and really sour on him.  

+2 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Yes it is true he called 247 sports. JC from 247 confirmed it on the Bill King show

+1 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

This Gibson guy sounds like such a Pre Madonna. Am I right?

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Nashville's picture

No, He's definitely younger than Madonna. But he may be a prima donna :) 

"You can never pay back, but you can always pay forward."

+5 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

While you could never deny the kid's athletic ability, I think a lot could be said for the improvements he needs to make in terms of maturity.  This kid puts a hell of a lot out there for everyone to see on social media.  I'm all for these kids taking their time to "enjoy the process" and soak up some attention, but I think TG takes it to that level where you almost feel like, C'mon man, that's a little much.  I love what Birm has said about this kid time and time again, until he sets foot on Ohio State soil, he's not worth mentioning.  In the meantime the staff is putting together  yet another class that we can be more than proud to call future Buckeyes.  I think I would much rather see them take the spot they were holding for Gibson and go after a different QB, or if they're happy with Burrows and want to offer that spot to an up and coming ATH/WR I'd be OK with that too.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I'm waiting on Birms update Sunday, but I wonder if we only take one qb this time (good with Burrow) if we don't take 2 in the next class?

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

According to a poster from the Auburn 247 board, the Auburn coaches are pissed about Gibson "getting stuck" in Tennessee. He reportedly lied to them about something. Therefore, they are moving hard on 4 star QB Francois who's set to visit Auburn this week. Also, they have a good shot at landing 2016 5 star DT QB Jawon Pass out of Georgia and they already have 4 star QB Queen in the 2015 class.

Tennessee has 4 star QB Quinten Dormady already committed, and they have told 4 star ATH Jauan Jennings that they will let him have a crack at QB first when he gets on campus before switching his position. They are also heavily pursuing a number of other QBs in this 2015 class.

By the way, Tennessee is pathetic. They have this kid on the news, in the newspapers, on TV, chanting his name at their spring game when he wasn't even in attendance, all over the kid twitter page, and a lot of their fans are adding him on snapchat (even though he's embracing it, it's still weird as hell). That's beyond sad.

+4 HS
otrain2416's picture

Sounds like a lot of schools are fed up with hid attitude. No offense to him because he's extremely talented, but no coach wants to wait extremely long for a QB. A QB is suppose to be the leader of a class. All his top schools have already taken a QB. UT has taken two and that looks like where he might end up. 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

The entire town of Knoxville has thrown their hat into the ring to get Gibson. It is quite impressive and yet very sad at the same time.

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I guess they are desperate to be relevant 

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Except that one player can't usually make a program relevant again. I guess Manziel did it but I can't really think of anyone else recently.

GABuckeye's picture

Cam Newton???  Although they also had a great defense, which is why they won and A&M didn't.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Up until the 2013 team, 2010 Auburn was statistically the WORST defensive team to play in the BCS Title game. They had a TURRIBLE defense and Newton carried them. Just like 2013 A&M.

So, Auburn had the two worst defenses to ever play in a BCS Championship Game. So much for SEC Defense right?

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Ya I guess Cam as well, but I still considered Auburn to be a relevant program. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

I was going to make a joke about Tennessee fans not even being able to spell "relevant," but um, yeah...

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Some things don't really need to be said - do they?

+1 HS