Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Josh Sweat

305Buck's picture
June 5, 2014 at 7:27pm
34 Comments

Visiting on July 25th for FNL. Huge!!

osu407's picture

This defensive line class could be phenomenal for us and that's even with or without Sweat. 

+3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Destroyers, man your Battle Stations!

+4 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

He's my fav out of all our DE targets, Thinking Jashon Cornell end up a DT when it's all said and done..

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

Yeah he reminds me of Washington with his build. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I fully expect to see the list for FNL to keep growing on a daily basis with hopefully some more great surprises just like Mr. Sweat... the dude is a freak! Get him on campus and let Urbz and Larry Johnson do their thing! Things are heating up!

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

I wonder how many guys who went to FNL last year that OSU extended a committable offer to ended up committing later on. I know Kwon was there, EGW was there. It seems like a really cool visit because you see the stadium at night, it's high intensity, and you're getting coached by your actual potential position coaches.

Urbz spent a lot of time in Kwon's ear last year, I think. It's also cool for guys to have things like the EGW-Dame Webb competition last year. Not only is it a pressure situation, but you get an idea what it would be like to compete in practice against these great other recruits, so it's easier to imagine how you could grow as a player at OSU. 

It can also lead to legendary performances from some less heralded recruits. Berios blew up last year according to most there, and all the sudden, a guy who wasn't on most fans radar was a Wes Welker-type baller, who rises to the occasion. That's not a knock on Berios, I think the staff was really high on him, but it's Interesting to see how much having fans there changes everything. 

I know all schools have camps, but when the lights come on, it feels more like gametime instead of practice, especially because that's the way it is for most high school players.

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

If I remember correctly Urban also spent a lot of time with Curtis Samuel at FNL last year and cemented that relationship.

+4 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Oh boy.. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

Buck Commander's picture

Oh Yeah!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

bethesdabuck's picture

Did I see somewhere that Drake is going to be at FNL?

SpoonerBuck33's picture

It's been rumored if he does that would more than likely make it the place to be for recruits.

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

haha is this a joke or is it legit?

Buckeye fan from PA

-1 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

I read it a few weeks ago on TOS. Not sure how legitimate, but it was staff that made the initial comment.

teddyballgame's picture
+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Don't sweat the petty things and...............

Don't pet the sweaty things

+2 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Sweatin to the Oldies?

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Maybe it's the color of Richard Simmons' shirt, but I just had a vision of Mark D'Antonio putting in a VHS tape and sweating to the oldies downstairs in his paneled rec room.

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I could see that.  ;)

luckynutz's picture

Our d line recruiting with vrabel was outstanding. Now, with larry johnson it is becoming outright ridiculous. Look at the names that are linked with this team right now. Its a whos freaking who of talent. And its all realistically within reach. Theres a chance that some top flight guys could get shut out. Meyer loves a deep d line. Its already deep...this class could push it to mariana trench levels.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Dline is a position where you just keep making room for top talent. If you have to take one less defensive back and one  less WR to make room for a couple stud dline men you do it. A dominant defensive line can win you a title pretty quickly(ask the Giants).

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
bodast67's picture

Or the Gators...just ask Urban

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Are fans allowed at FNL? I can't remember. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Yes. FNL will be huge this year. Meyer is planning on bringing in Drake, Lebron and a lot of Buckeye legends to interact with the kids, fans, and family.

+4 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Thanks Buck! Yeah that sounds amazing. Hope to see a huge visitor list for FNL and have Urban work his magic.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

305Buck's picture

No problem, I also read that Urban will try to bring in Bill Belichick and Mike Tomlin I believe.

sivaDavis's picture

Awesome. Gotta think that out of all the weekends where we count them as "big recruiting weekends" this is by far the biggest, and the staff knows it. Having people these kids grow up seeing on TV, read about on social media or listen to on the radio would really be a big recruiting tool. Seeing them backing the Buckeyes, in my mind, would make me want to be one. Just my opinion. 

305Buck's picture

Sweats top 5: Ohio State (July 25th), FSU, Georgia (June 20th), Virginia Tech and Tennessee (June 19th).

My take: If Tennessee lands this kid, I'll eat my own foot, no seriously these top kids always list Tennessee but never ends up there. Virginia Tech people don't feel confident even though he has visited like 3 or 4 times this year, they struggle to keep top talent home and they will continue to do so as long as Beamer is their head coach. FSU want be a serious player. I read that his family doesn't want him too far from home, the VT 247 site writer says don't buy the FSU hype. This could come down to UGA and Ohio State. UGA has the upper hand since he has family in athens, but a couple great visits to Ohio State, coupled with another terrible season from Georgia could push this in our favor.

Keynote: He plans on announcing at the Under Armour game and he wants to enroll early.

+2 HS
DeepSouthBuckeye's picture

We could know alot going into our visit. If he has not committed yet after the UGA and VTech visits, we will have a great opportunity to be the last visit on his mind.

Loving all things Buckeye from SEC country in Alabama.

"How firm thy friendship....O-HI-O"

RunEddieRun1983's picture

This kid is among my very favorite targets for this class, hopefully Urban puts on the full court press!

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

I don't think we could get Sweat AND Cornell? Both play weak side

kgratz's picture

I think some are projecting Cornell to bulk up and play SS or DT

How Firm Thy Friendship

buckeyeguy0615's picture

Bulk up? Isn't he trying to lose weight and has already lost 15 pounds?

305Buck's picture

Yes because he gained a lot of bad weight. Once he gets back to his normal weight, then gets in Coach Mick's weight room, he will be the size of Bosa or a tad bit smaller.