Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Lorenzo Nunez

WesPatterson23's picture
May 7, 2014 at 10:48pm
19 Comments

Lorenzo Nunez is committing tomorrow per his twitter. He seems like a quality player that could fit well in the system, and could be a leader in the class. I know he is a USC (Carolina) lean, but does anybody know our chances with him?

Killer nuts's picture

zero percent chance. We'll never get another football recruit. Ever.

(edit: I think bassdropper stole my log in)

+6 HS
kicks's picture

I'd be stunned if he chose anyone other than the Gamecocks.  Great player, but seems like he has moved on. 

+2 HS
tdible2132's picture

At one point it seemed like a guarantee OSU would get either Wimbush or Nunez. Crazy how things change in recruiting 

+8 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

He is going to South Carolina. Ohio State offered Jackson out of Florida today. 

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Unless something weird happens tomorrow morning there's basically no way Lorenzo is choosing Ohio State. Great kid, great family and he's going to be really a good grab for South Carolina (or MAYBE NC State, but probably USCe.)

Deadly Nuts's picture

Unless something weird happens tomorrow morning there's basically no way Lorenzo is choosing Auburn.

Fixed that for you.

LEBRON

millertime2011's picture

Do you know what happened with him? He seemed to be a lock a few months ago, everyone had him crystal balled here. Any clue?

Patriot4098's picture

I blame the "bag men."

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

My guess, based upon pure speculation, is that he new he was #3 here, and #1 for South Carolina, and they let him know it. I've also seen several people write about how he's a better fit for their offense. I do not know if that's true, but it's what I've read. Seems to make sense to me.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't give an offer with a deadline.  If they don't want it, I am positive there are others out there that do, and we shouldn't have to wait while certain players play their games while trying to decide. I am not referring to Nunez, this just seemed a likely place to make the statement.

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
Crimson's picture

No.  It's an unethical thing to do, and it's horrible to students.  It also sets up a bad precedent when you still accept them later, and it gives your school a bad reputation.  However, we still do it sometimes when we're ready to move on, see Thomas Holley from last year.

-1 HS
hodge's picture

It's not always a bad idea.  If I recall correctly, Urban blocked Davonte Neal from committing to us on Signing Day when his first class was wrapping up in early 2012.  He mentioned that he did it because "He wasn't one of those guys (who would stretch for that extra yard)" -- which probably means that he saw some red flags with the dude.

I'm not saying that's why we didn't go after Holley -- I'm just saying that there's a myriad of reasons that these kind of things happen.

+1 HS
Humbuck's picture

Wimbush was a miss by the staff, they clearly wanted him.   Nunez is a pass.   He could not commit to OSU if he tried.  Sounds like he is in a similar situation with Tenn.  He is either SCAR or NC State bound.    By all accounts a great kid but our coaches don't see him as a good fit.  There is a distinction, not a knock on him at all but he isn't "their guy"

I know it sounds odd because they liked him for about 10 months, gave him a lot of attention and gave him an early conditional offer but the staff cooled off on him about a month ago and they elected not to upgrade his offer.  The recruiting services are expecting him to fall in their rankings.  Not sure why exactly but it seems his growth trajectory might have approached the ceiling. 

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

If you really think the staff wouldn't accept Lorenzo Nunez's commitment, you're delusional. And no, it wouldn't stop them from pursuing Gibson.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Wanted him as the 2nd QB in this class. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

I'm sure they'll get a QB at some point. He may be a small kid with a weak arm from some backwoods school in Ohio, but they'll get one. I mean, they have to, right? Right?

mtrotb's picture

Just remember next later this summer and fall when you hear from the out of state 2016's and how OSU is their favorite, remember hardly any will actually commit.

mtrotb

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

remember hardly any will actually commit.

This, unfortunately, is the most sobering fact of recruiting. Put it up there with "Save for one, all of your relationships with the opposite sex will fail." C'est la vie.

Ahh Saturday's picture

Adding "save for one" actually makes you an optimist.