Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

First Recruiting Rant of the Year

Becool12's picture
April 20, 2014 at 7:55am
55 Comments

With Bama getting 3 big recruits in one day, Auburn stealing one of ours, and us getting no active commits since Jamel Dean way back in December, I feel as though I need to rant. For those who say "it's only April don't" or "in Urban we trust" or something along those lines, keep telling yourself that. Just realize, at this point last year we had 7 recruits already committed including Damon Webb, one of our biggest commits. And two years ago, we had 10 commits including big hauls from Ezekiel Elliot and Marcus Baugh (who hadn't visited OSU as a recruit at that point). I must also point out that the much inferior Michigan team has 5 commits right now, Sparty has 4 (one who should be in jail right now), State Penn has 12 (4 with OSU offers), and Butch Jones led Tennessee (who offers everyone so Idk if they should count) has 11 commits. Slow and steady wins the race but, we are abnormally slow right now. We don't have a class leader. We don't have a commit that is contacting these other guys and trying to bring them on board. Both of our commits are very good, but we need a guy who is going to contact other recruits and build a friendship. I think having one of those types of players, regardless of star rankings, is just as important as pulling in a big name recruit. 

BrewstersMillions's picture

Your hand wringing and consternation is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but doesn't accomplish much. I will gladly say "In Urban We Trust" because his track record as a recruiter speaks for itself. That very same track record is the reason you are so concerned because of his 'unusually slow' results to this point in the recruiting process. Ink is hardly dry on the letters his last class signed and there is a season that is being prepared for. You know what the difference between Meyer, Hoke, Franklin, and Jones is? Meyer's team is a title contender  (I feel the same about Dantonio).

Just relax and realize that Meyer's track record has you sort of spoiled and when it isn't what you like to see on April 20th, maybe its because not every class can be built by now.

Everything's gonna be all right.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+17 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Not going to take names, but when this class is signed, I am going to remind all the "chicken littles" and the "sky is falling" people, just how they are acting now, and everyone will know who I am referring to. It is only April, Urban knows what he is doing, he gets paid the big bucks to know what he is doing. I will be waiting on all the people needlessly worrying, when this class is signed. It will be a top 10 class, and I will say I told you so. I am no where near the ledge of panic. Perhaps this recruiting stuff is not for some people. Perhaps the"chicken little" and the "sky is falling people" should not follow recruiting.

+12 HS
DenBuck's picture

It feels good to rant. It's frustrating though to see guys we after commit elsewhere and then lose one (or more possibly) who are committed. Of course we are concerned. I can't believe for a second that the staff doesn't wonder WTF is going on too, not saying they are worried but at least wondering what's up. I know we will end up with a top 10 class but it's painful getting there. This chasing after Gibson and perhaps losing other good QB's in the process is maddening. His drama looks like it will carry into the Fall. Hang in fellow Buckeyes.    

Buckeye For Life

-1 HS
Hayze's picture

We're not chasing Gibson blindly like we did Watson last year.

We've offered and are actively recruiting other QBs and Wimbush is still high on us and deciding soon.

The ideal plan is to get Wimbush to commit then recruit Gibson until the end.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

It's only April - in Urbs we trust.

+2 HS
jonping67's picture

Urban knows this class may be small in numbers, 17-20, so he's not going after mid-level guys.

Jerome Baker - Ricky Deberry - Torrence Gibson - Damien Harris - Justin Hilliard - Sterling Jenkins - Christian Kirk - Drew Richmond - LJ Scot - Tim Settle - Shy Tuttle - Brandon Wimbush - Josh Sweat - Darius Fullwood - De'Mont Jones - Matthew Burrell - etc.

Come on folks have a little faith!!!!!!

+6 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Sh'mar Kilby-Lane too

+3 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

Seems that some folks are most worried about the fact we have fewer commits than other schools out there. There are a few kids out there who we could offer who would likely commit on the spot and some of the we-only-have-two-commits hand-wringers would be appeased. Is this recruiting cycle frustrating so far for folks who love OSU and enjoy recruiting? Hells yeah. Urban loves the recruiting aspect of college football so maybe even he is a bit frustrated right now, I don't know (although I doubt it). I'm not going to say it's "only April" or just be patient but there are a lot of great players still left out there and I have to assume there is a method to what the staff is doing. Let's let the summer play out and see where we stand.

+2 HS
jonping67's picture

You are spot on Ludwig, 100% are still out there until they sign their letter of intent!

+1 HS
The Clean North's picture

Go ahead. Get it out. Do you feel better now? I don't think this is a really what I would call a solution. We can't do anything. We are fans. Diehard albeit but still we have to assume that the guy who leads out favorite team makes the right calls. 

+1 HS
villagebuckeye's picture

According to 247 tOSU has offered 164 players for 2015.  Pretty obvious we aren't going to get them all.

+6 HS
tae1986's picture

We could get them all if we were in SEC...

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

+2 HS
InTressITrust's picture

Damn I was really hoping we would take them all

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

Danify's picture

Going with the "Its only April" remember there will be additional studs we are late developers, which climb the ranks during their senior year. It happens every year and Urban along with the other coaches always seem to find them and get 1 or 2. Keep Calm and Trust in Urban's ability to establish great relationships with players. 

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

There is also no way for any of us to know how many of the offers are "commitable."  Obviously, the big names hold commitable offers, but of the 164 referenced above, there is no way to know.  From what I have read on this site, especially for some of the instate guys, is that the staff wants to see them camp before extending an offer.  There may be more guys out there in the same situation, who hold an "offer," but it may be contingent on them camping or who knows what else.

All I know for sure is this.  Urban and staff make too much money and the track record is too strong to show up to signing day with a class of 15-20 no names that ranks outside of the top 10.  There is a long time to go between now and signing day, and with Urban's history of closing and flipping, there is no reason to panic.  

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

The way I see it is that there are a ton of 4 and 5 star kids who commit late in the recruiting process - at All-American games, NSD, etc. It happens every year. Every year Urban Meyer has landed a very highly ranked recruiting class. While many of these teams are loading up now, sooner or later numbers will be an issue and things will slow down. Look at Ohio State last year - we pretty much had our class wrapped up well before NSD while other teams sky rocketed up the rankings in January and February. Urban will get his. It's just a matter of time. Plus, remember the last three years when Hoke's classes have fired out of the gate hot? Just be patient.

buckeyebobcat

LouGroza's picture

Players will be recruited differently now. Look at the depth that is being created at OSU. Dline, defensive backfield, along with now having linebacker depth. Ok, now look at RB and receivers. The only depth issues that can be seen on the roster would be oline and it isn't terrible by any means and help is coming this fall. OSU is recruiting selectively now more than ever. They are not taking just anyone. In the end it will be a class that fills needs with the best recruits that fit what OSU is doing. I, for one, appreciate what they are doing.

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

No need to rant, rave or rage, but it has been a disappointing start. We will surge soon enough and then add a few studs prior to NSD.

+1 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

It seems like we are in on a bunch of guys who will ultimately end up committing somewhere else.

CC's picture

It should because that is how recruiting works.  We're going to get roughly 10% of the players we recruit.  If the 165 number above is correct and we get 16-17... there you go.

+1 HS
SpoonerBuck33's picture

The timelines for recruits we are in on is different every cycle. Yes it sucks no one has stepped up to be a leader for the class, which I think gets overblown sometimes. Yes it sucks we lost Ben Edwards, but it was a surprise commit (all experts pegged him to Auburn for awhile before he selected us) and everyone may have forgotten Urban's ability to replace a recruit with an equal or better one. By the end of the summer we will have a different taste in our mouths as a fair amount of kids considering us will be making their decisions. Not to mention taking into account the flipping season from December-February when the coaching carousel takes place. In short, worrying about recruiting in April will drive you mad and is the one thing you should not worry about with this staff. Go bucks!

+2 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Rant and Rave.  Just know we will have a top 10 class when it is all said and done.

I said in another thread this new trend of guys signing earlier and earlier is not good for OSU, since it is harder to get up to Columbus on your own dime than it is to drive from Florida to Georgia or Tennessee or Bama etc.  Obviously OSU can and will get the guys from the Midwest early, and some from the Atlantic and NE.

Maybe the new trend must be recruit the Midwest/NE/Atlantic area hard and get those commits a little earlier, and when kids get their officials in their senior year lock down the southern kids.

+2 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

OP not living up to his name.  Be cool.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

Horvath22's picture

It's Chicken Little Time on the recruiting front.

+2 HS
Patriot4098's picture

Almost every school in the top 25 has less than 5 verbals. Almost. The top 2 or 3 are making waves. It happens because there's nothing else football going on this time of year. Perfect example: scUM, this time last year.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+1 HS
bodast67's picture

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

I could be wrong, but I smell the residue of a gray box.  

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Its ok folks we are allowed to express our frustrations out loud on a message board Im fairly certain that is what it is here for. Everyone acting all nonchalant like we are right on schedule is slightly lying to themselves. We  are usually right up in the top ten with all the other top programs out there. No doubt we are tOSU and we will be fine in the end but we shouldn't crucify people expressing legitimate concerns because this so far is a really abnormal year not only for tOSU but for Urban Freakin Meyer. Was a lot of talk just a couple of months ago about how this could be Meyers best class ever and I guess hypothetically it still could be in the end. But so far it does seem a tad alarming when a lot of our top targets are rescheduling left and right and a lot of the top programs were getting big commits for their spring games while we lost one of our best recruits. It almost seems like there is something going on behind the scenes that we are not privy too yet.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+2 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

I'm not a recruiting expert, but I've had the sense for a while that we're slow-playing too many Ohio kids in hopes of getting the 4 and 5 stars out of the South. Eventually the year was going to come when that was going to burn us. You can say "trust in Urban" until you're blue in the face, but this program will never be built on recruits from the other side of the Ohio River.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Until your what in the face? I believe red was the word you were looking for Buckeye Chuck.

+2 HS
DenBuck's picture

Well put. Connor and Conrad perhaps?

Buckeye For Life

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'd rather get a 5-star kid from Georgia on signing day than a 3-star Ohio kid in April. That's how Urban does it.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Becool12's picture

You know, those 3-star kids built this program right? Most of our 5-stars end up not panning out. Ask 3-star Darron Lee how it feels to take the position over a high profile recruit. 

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

It was not built on 3 stars. You can say we've definitely had three stars come in, produce and be stars.

But most of our main guys the last 10 years are four and five stars.

And I wouldn't say most of our five stars end up not panning out. Please provide data to back up that claim.

Becool12's picture

I can make a list if you want.  I am gonna go by Rival's rankings for both the 3-star and the 5-star claims. This list goes back till 2006.

5 stars who didn't pan out here: Mike Mitchell, Curtis Grant (still hoping for the best), Pitts Brown, Dorian Bell, and Robert Rose

3-stars who contributed significantly to this program: Devin Smith, Evan Spencer, Big Hank, Bradley Roby, Guiton, Fragel,  Zach Boren, John Simon, Sanzenbacher, and Chimdi Chekwa. There is an even bigger list of 3-stars who contributed and are expected to contribute more in the future. Guys like Darron Lee, Tyvis Powell, Pat Elflein, Chris Worley, Donovan Munger, Jamal Marcus...

ScarletNGrey01's picture

I do believe in free speech and the right of someone to express their opinion without being attacked or piling on with DV's so long as they do it in a relatively analytical way, but this is just the kind of fan rant that is the dark side of accepting the head coaching position at OSU and what gives the fan base as a whole a bad name.  The coaching staff has had three unreal recruiting classes in a row, this is really ridiculous whining and pressure you are trying to apply.  This kind of negativity just feeds into a destructive narrative that we don't want floating out there.  Dude, let the staff do their job, if we end up with an 8th ranked class instead of a 3rd ranked class one season we'll still be fine and the earth will continue to rotate around its' axis.

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Becool12's picture

What kind of negativity? It's negative that I am saying that other people are pulling in top classes? That other people have better classes than us? Oh maybe that we had more recruits at this point last year than we have this year? 

Negativity would be saying we posting fire Fickell every game. 

+1 HS
bucksk1n's picture

This is way too early to rant about a bad recruiting class.  Remember 3 years ago when Urban started in December and turned a maybe top 25 class into a top 10 class?  Things will look better by the end of the year and we will laugh about this.

+2 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

I just find it hard to believe that no one is ready to be a leader of this class yet....

+1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

There's still "Dream 14" kids that aren't on campus yet........

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+2 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

In recruiting he had a name. His name was Urban Meyer. His name was Urban Meyer..... HIS NAME WAS URBAN MEYER!

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
Travis's picture

Lol didn't we just get done with National Signing Day?

Pipe down bro, it's pretty clear that our Buckeyes are just fine and you are overreacting to nothing.

They need a 2 to tie, a 3 to win it; Sylvester for threeeee... OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHH WITH FIVE POINT ONE TO GO!!!

+4 HS
Becool12's picture

I was just ranting It's good to let out the frustration. I never said we couldn't finish strong, I was just upset that we haven't had a commit (outside of the guy who just decommitted) in almost 5 months. Many of the top prospects we had committed last year were already committed by now. Well, about 1/3 of our class was committed by this point last year. 

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

As I'm standing at the side of the building I decide to look up........yup, the ledge is filling up

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+1 HS
CC's picture

In college football, the coach wins games without putting a helmet on.  That's why he gets paid $5m and has the eye of everyone in Ohio.

+1 HS
B1G 10 Buckeye Stuck in SEC Country's picture

Guess it's time to close up shop...smh

" Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne 

jamesrbrown322's picture

I gotta be honest, it's frustrating. However, I am not getting worried about anything until at least after Gibson visits this summer. If they whiff on the big 3 QBs they want, especially Nunez who seems to really be interested, then maybe there's some worry. But if they get even one of those three elite QBs to commit, I bet they build momentum and end up with at least 7-8 commits before the season kicks off.

LOCK IT UP!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Hayze's picture

Don't be surprised if Nunez verbals to South Carolina soon.

jamesrbrown322's picture

That's the game you play I guess - that Gibson heals all wounds - in recruiting.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Bump just to remind everyone we get to go through this again next year. Yay :\

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+3 HS
irishfury's picture

We got 2 top 100 recruits already I hope not.

Calgarybuck's picture

ESPN has them as top 20, for now...........

+1 HS