Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Ryan Really is Cooper 2.0

+2 HS
stantmann's picture
January 1, 2024 at 9:42am
99 Comments

I was responding to a post, and was looking at Day vs Urban, or Day vs Tressel. Then I realized we are comparing Day to the wrong coach. For the record, I like Ryan Day, but with the talent he has, he has underachieved the last 3 years. As with any OSU coach, I want Day to continue to win, because if he succeeds, OSU succeeds.

For now, there is no comparison between Day against Meyer or Tressel. Meyer and Tressel dominated Michigan and kept them down. They were both multi National Championship coaches and both won a National Championships at OSU. Until Day does both (beats Michigan regularly and wins a National Championship), then he will always be a step below. No amount of fanfare can change that.

We all know Um cheated in 2021 and 2022, and the victories are tainted. Cheating aside, a better comparison for Day (2021-2023) would be to Cooper in 1995-1997. Cooper was 32-6, Day 33-6. Cooper's teams finished #6, #2, and #12. Day was #6, #4, and #10 (probably) this year. Both were 0-3 vs Um. Both were 1-2 in bowl games. Both won a Rose Bowl. Coopers worst loss was to 5 loss Iowa, Day's was 4 loss Oregon. Cooper (11-1) did share a Big 10 title with 9-3 Northwestern in 1996 though.

I realize 2019 and 2020 happened. We could expand this for Ryan's 5 year tenure (53-8) vs Cooper 1994-1998 (53-11) too, and the results would again be very similar. Same wins, 2 B1G championships, 2 bowl wins, 2 times could have won the NC, Cooper was 2-3 vs Um, Ryan 1-3.

One thing I do not want; Michigan won a National Championship during Cooper's time. Let's hope that doesn't happen to this year's Um team.

photo courtesy of eleven warriors

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 99 Comments