Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Urban: I Tried Being the CEO, Didn’t Work.

+9 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
December 5, 2018 at 9:34am
49 Comments

The style of coaching that I’ve done for 33 years is a very intense, very demanding,” Meyer said. “You can ask our former players the expectation, the way I’ve been. And I’ve tried to delegate more and be CEO-ish more, and the product started to fail.

This quote from Urban was the most interesting/revealing tidbit of information yesterday (to me).

As we saw with Dolo’s quote and even Zach Smith saying he had a story to tell about Ed Warinner in 2015 and why a great CFB team didn’t win it all... Urban tried to be hands off but couldn’t because he’s too competitive and also, didn’t have the right people.  

If we take him at his word that he almost quit in 2014... he adjusted and tried different tactics in 2015.  

But the “product started to fail.” It couldn’t be done... with Urban as head coach. 

Question is... can any head coach worth their salt pull this off? Bobby Bowden tried (and largely failed). I think Bill Snyder and Joe Paterno tried too, and their programs suffered at the end.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments