Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

We've Gotta Get (Insert Player's Name) More Touches

0 HS
DLV7709's picture
October 5, 2015 at 9:23pm
76 Comments

Is this comment from the coaching staff getting tiresome to anybody else, or is it just me? There should only be 2 plays in our offense where a player is guaranteed to touch the ball. Here ya go, Zeke, and the pop pass/jet sweep to the H-Back. Every other play would be a pass, and, while I understand certain players are designed to be open in certain route trees, sometimes your preferred option is covered, hence options and checking down. 

When they talk about getting the ball to Braxton I just shake my head. Urban said specifically in a presser that Braxton in the wildcat "isn't going anywhere." I understand that he is a phenomenal athlete. I get that he holds a special place in Buckeye nation. That being said, until he throws a pass it isn't going to work very well. Also, can we agree that he has not earned the touches in game? Yes, he had 2 huge plays that broke the VT game open, and one of them was an open pass. Wildcat has worked on 1 play. In one game. All season. He also has more fumbles than touchdowns.

On the jet sweep to open the game IU had 9 defenders in the box. Let's do some math: 5 OL + 1 TE + 1 QB + 1 RB = 8 offensive players. 9 > 8. Now take into account the neither the QB, RB or TE make blocks that are relevant to the direction of the play. That leaves 3 LB and 2 S to float over the top to the ball, especially when they've scouted the tendencies and don't bite on any misdirection. That play should have been scrubbed by Cardale, but fuck it. Let's do it anyway.

Staying on 9 in the box: why did we continue to hammer away with Zeke? I get it. It paid off. But, 6 blockers vs 9 defenders, we should not have been successful. With the entire defense playing within 10 yards of the LOS, where was the deep ball? The playcalling has me at a loss, and the insistence on using failing plays and formations just seems stubborn. Outside of Zeke, Samuel, and sweeps we can't guarantee anybody anything. If WRs want the ball they need to get open. What do you guys think? Am I just off base?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 76 Comments