Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Top 100 Ohio State Players: No. 82

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 17, 2015 at 9:20pm
7 Comments

There are 82 days that separate us from Ohio State's march to Blacksburg. To help pass the time until the Buckeyes put the Sandman to sleep I will countdown Ohio State's top 100 players according to the rubric* listed at the bottom of this article.

Quinn Pitcock

Pitcock had 9 sacks at Ohio State.

NO. 82 QUINN PITCOCK DT (2002-06)
Born:
 1983 (Piqua, OH)
High School: Piqua

OHIO STATE CAREER

• Member of the 2002 national championship team.
  • 3 Big Ten titles.
  • The Buckeyes were 55-9 with Pitcock on the team.
  • Went 4-1 against That Team.

HONORS

• 2006 All-American
  • 2006 Bill WIllis Award
  • 2006 All-Big Ten
  • 2005 2nd Team All-Big Ten

NFL DRAFT
Round 3 to the Indianapolis Colts in the 2007 draft.

MISCELLANEOUS

• Drafted in the third-round by the Colts in the 2007 NFL Draft.
  • Retired after his rookie season due to depression and video game addiction.

PITCOCK AT OHIO STATE PER Wikipedia:

Pitcock attended Ohio State University, where he played for coach Jim Tressel's Ohio State Buckeyes football team from 2002 to 2006. As a junior in 2005, he was a second-team All-Big Ten selection; as a senior in 2006, he was a first-team All-Big Ten selection and a consensus first-team All-American, and was awarded the Bill Willis Trophy.

Pitcock

Quinn Pitcock went on Katie Couric's show to discuss his video game addiction.

PITCOCK'S VIDEO GAME ADDICTION FROM THE DAILY DAYTON NEWS:

The 29-year-old Pitcock was - and still is - a video game addict who ended up losing friends, his livelihood and most of all his perspective and sense of self as he sank deeper and deeper into the world of virtual reality.

“I was living the dream. I was coming off my senior year for the Buckeyes being drafted in the third round by the Indianapolis Colts. So I was on the right path for greatness and then things turned for the worst,” he told Kouric on her show “Katie.”

[...]

“We have off season workouts and some of us do charities during the day and the rest of the day is off to play (video) football games, Halo (and) Call To Duty like myself. In the locker room we had a video game system and we played them there. That’s how my video gaming started. I end up buying a game station for home. Then the online players are what got me because no matter what time of day… there is still someone playing.”

He said he became one of the top ranked players in the world in three different games: “Top three rakings in millions and millions of people, so in my mind I was doing well. So why not keep on playing?”...

...Pitcock said the Colts offered to help him, but initially he slipped deeper into his addiction:

“I was spiraling down where video games were taking over my life. Once I did quit the NFL my addiction got even worse. That’s when I really got into the 18-plus hours a day. Eating one meal a day. Secluded from everybody - my friends, family, everybody. I realized then it was a physical need. It was no longer just a mental, ‘Oh, I want to play.’ It was, ‘I don’t want to play anymore,’ but physically, I had to play. I could not stop.”

It took Pitcock a while to accept the Colts’ offer, but when he did it helped him save his life.

[...]

He said talking to someone about his addictions helped him deal with them and he suggests other people who find their lives spiraling downward into a gamer’s world of virtual reality should find someone to open up to, as well:

“Talk to a third party and just speak your mind. For me, I realized once I got things off my chest, it was a lot easier to get away from the games, because the games are a way to separate yourself from reality (and go into) virtual reality you can control. Once you face the truth of reality, I think you can move forward.”

Read the entire article here.

PITCOCK'S POINTS
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN  
NO. RETIRED / HONORED  
BIG TEN MVP  
TEAM MVP  
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK  
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN  
NFL DRAFT PICK 2
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 1
LETTER 1

TOTAL 15

For more information on Pitcock and other players who wore No. 90:

Sources- WikipediaDayton Daily News and The Ohio State Team Guide

THE RUBRIC
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN 8
NO. RETIRED / HONORED 8
BIG TEN MVP 6
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 3
NFL DRAFT PICK 2
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 1
LETTER 0.25 PER YEAR

ALL PLAYERS COVERED TO DATE

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 7 Comments