Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Dream Ohio State Defensive Line

0 HS
UniotoTank55's picture
May 6, 2015 at 10:24pm
23 Comments

About three weeks ago, I wrote a forum called "The Dream Ohio State Offensive Line," and those that commented seem to have enjoyed it.  So now I'm going to flip to the other side of the ball.

By the way, the link to that original forum is here.

Note - I use consensus All-American Selections, not any other source.

We will stick to the standard four man front, and for all you Bosa fans out there (of which I am one), I am only considering players whose Buckeye careers have ended.  

Strong-Side Defensive End - This spot goes to none other than Mike Vrabel.  In his famed Ohio State career, Vrabel amassed career records for sacks (36.0, 8.5 more than any other player) and TFL (66.0), as well as the single season mark for TFL, with 26.0.  He was an All-American and a two-time Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the year, good enough to be selected in the third round of the NFL draft.

Weak-Side Defensive End - It's gotta be the sixth pick in the 2008 NFL draft (even though the NFL never panned out for him), Vernon Gholston.  Ohio State's single-season sack record holder also managed to pile up 30.5 TFL in his career, part of 87 total tackles. He was first-team all Big Ten and Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the year in 2007.

Three-Technique Defensive Tackle - Coming into Ohio State, this 348 pounder was redshirted his Freshman season at tackle, before shedding 48 pounds and switching to defense.  It is none other than Dan Wilkinson.  Totaling 23.5 career TFL in just two seasons played, Wilkinson was two-time first team all Big Ten, completing his final year with the buckeyes by becoming an All-American and winning the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.  By the way, he was selected first in that year's draft by the Cincinnati Bengals, and had 57.0 career sacks in the pros.

Nose Guard - Clearly the most decorated and one of the meanest Nose Guards Ohio State has ever possessed, this spot definitely belongs to Jim Stillwagon.  All that the Super Soph did in his career with the Buckeyes was become a two-time All-American, win both the Outland and the Lombardi awards his stellar 1970 Senior Season (he may have won the Lombardi more than once if 1970 wasn't the first year of its existence), Captain the team that same 1970 season, and was the Team MVP of the 1970 defense that allowed just 93 combined points.  Not too shabby.

Honorary Mentions -  Bob Brudzinski, John Simon; Michael Bennett, Quinn Pitcock

Whether you agree or disagree share your opinions below.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments