Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

I want Wisconsin's Defense

HYDEYOKIDS's picture
August 31, 2014 at 1:18am
37 Comments

They lost the game but their defense put on a clinic. Particularly their LBs. They read and blew up plays like crazy. It's too bad that their QB and coaches blew the game. Our LBs should take note. Their tackling and Special teams were excellent too.

NashBuckeye's picture

I agree until the 4th Quarter.  That drive where LSU had 3 runs for 60 yards and a TD and Spielman was telling them what they were doing wrong, looked like they quit.

+2 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

Not agreeing with the OP one way or the other, but two thirds of their starting DL went down with injury during the game. That contributed to the fourth quarter run gashes; along with fatigue.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

No thanks. I'll take our guys for now.

+6 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Yeah, not feeling that idea.

+4 HS
HYDEYOKIDS's picture

By the end of the game I think they had just tired out what with their offense putting them in a terrible position by the end of the game. VT will give  us a better idea of what our defense can do, but we won't see an offense like LSU's until maybe Indiana. I don't think our defense could have held LSU to 28 points, and I have an inkling that there will be lingering problems with tackling and recognizing plays, but it's just my opinion. I was amazed by Wisky's defense I thought they played a fantastic game personally.

Urbz4President's picture

I'll give you that much. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in some of the threads from earlier today, but I was pretty upset with all of the missed tackles during the Navy game. Tackling boils down to basic fundamentals and that is a result of coaching. Not talent. Pure and simple. There is no doubt whatsoever that we have a FAST team. I've said since the end of last season, we need to practice fundamentally sound football. We get to the ball fast, but we need to finish.

Urbz4President's picture

Good news is this: That can easily be fixed and it certainly can get better as the season progresses. Navy's offense is out of this world tricky. I can usually look at formations before the snap and get a pretty good idea of what is about to happen, I was relatively clueless today. I was having difficulty at times following the ball on an 80 inch HDTV from home. Much less on the field without an arial view.

mh277907's picture

We have seriously delusional fans. Ok, we gave up a lot rushing yards. Navy's offense is unlike anything we have ever seen and we will never see anything like it again. And we only gave up 17 points! Go ahead and take Wisconsin's D. I'll take ours.

buckeyebobcat

+6 HS
HYDEYOKIDS's picture

Sorry if I seemed to put down our defense. I was trying to give a sense of how impressed I was with theirs, from a fundamentals, coaching and execution perspective. I thought they put on a show and was saying if our defense showed up and executed like theirs did particularly their LBs we would be in good hands. My phrasing was not the best, I just thought it was an overall great performance by the players and coaches on the defensive side, minus the end where they were exhausted.

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

Fair enough. Though, after one game against a unique offense, I was very impressed with the improvement of our D from last year.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

We have seen Navy's offense before.  

We might see Navy's offense sometime in the future.

We do have delusional fans.

mh277907's picture

What teams are you referring to?

buckeyebobcat

We played Navy  a few years ago

and

we may play Navy in the future

mh277907's picture

Oh yea, the current players really knew what it was like to play against Navy in 2009. When they were in high school.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Navy is much better now then they were. Reynolds is their lynchpin. His decision making is what makes their offense so good. 

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

dubjayfootball90's picture

Yea, I will take our D every day of the week. Navy's offense is so niche it is crazy

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

Baroclinicity's picture

Well...ours hunkered down when it mattered, in the 4th.  Theirs did the opposite in that game.

Never mind we're comparing completely different teams...

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+3 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Wisky did play a great game for 3 Quarters, but OSUs D has more talent and depth. Wisky lost 2 D lineman and kind of fell apart.  We could lose 2 D lineman and still have talented guys in their place.

Wisky lost the game on Offense by sticking with McBausermann at QB the whole game. Bad Coaching!

+2 HS
nikolajz1's picture

I dont get why they didnt play Stave. He at least has had big game experience. He was pretty composed in Columbus last year. 

Urbz4President's picture

I remember hearing something about a nagging shoulder injury during the game.

HYDEYOKIDS's picture

The headline was a poor choice of words. I didn't mean to suggest trading their defense for ours, as much as praising what they did defensively. When was the last time you could say OSU prepared and adjusted to the other teams offense, executed their game plan with precision and poise, and displayed great fundamentals. I want our defense to emulate that type of performance.

+2 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Chris Ash.....give him a chance.  I think you will agree that he can do what you are saying Wisky did today.

To answer your actual question, I thought our Defensive Coaching was very good in the Rose Bowl vs. Oregon. Keeping the ball for 45 minutes helped too.

I think there quite a few linebackers in college football with better instincts and better ability to get off blocks than Perry or Grant.  I think Perry and Grant improved over last year, but still not " OSU good".   Perry lines up 8 yards from the line of scrimmage and still had difficulty figuring out where the ball was...... A lot of Navy's rushing yards happened because the linebackers failed to make a play.   

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Funny thing is, we have the defensive coordinator who first implemented that aggressive defensive system at Wisconsin. Yes we didn't get to see it against Navy but just wait until next weekend when our guys aren't getting cut blocked every play and the defensive line along with the LBs and DBs will actually be able to utilize what they've learned all off season. Press coverage, blitzing LBs and disruptive defensive stunts and schemes taught by one of the best defensive line coaches ever to do it. It was one week, we will be alright. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

^ I'll have what SIVA is having.

+1 HS
robobuck's picture

unfortunately they haven't quite had all off-season to work on that stuff. Urban said they started working on Navy from the first day of training camp. It definitely payed off, but could have slightly hampered development in other areas. Hope not! I'm very hopeful about this defense. Had a different feel than the last few years.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

SOF_Buckeye's picture

Agreed. Stated similar feelings in different thread. Let's see what happens against 'normal' offensive schemes before the 'Fire Fickell' threads go full steam. Relax and breathe a bit until then.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

allinosu's picture

Our defense will get stronger and stronger especially as our youngsters get more playing experience.

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Wisconsin may have looked good against very limited play calling and an inexperienced LSU offense. Wisconsin has usually had players with very good technique and have understood their assignment.

Technique, assignments, and toughness. The OSU defense has the skill and will be much better than the Wisconsin defense. But the OSU D needs all three qualities to go with that skill.

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

braneli's picture

Their fourth quarter showing made me ill. Sigh. Ridiculous. Otherwise, their defense looked sharp.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

bucks4nuts's picture

GA put a clinic on how to not give MG3 the ball.. 

"To The House"

whiskeyjuice's picture

Can't believe that the Badgers lost. I want to see what Anderson has to say.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

The reason they blew the lead is because their defense got banged up, and they stopped giving Melvin Gordon the ball.  It's that simple

Go Bucks!

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Wisconsin lost and blew a 17-point lead. I don't want their D.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS