Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Alabama compared to Ohio State ?

tOSUperiour's picture
August 30, 2014 at 9:42pm
27 Comments

After watching both #5 Ohio State vs Navy and #2 Alabama vs West Virginia, what does your eye test prove say is the better team? Is West Virginia really able to go toe to toe with the great Nick Saban and the invincible Crimson Tide? Or is Alabama really that  vulnerable? If you were a voter, would you drop a team in the AP or Coaches based off the first game of the season against unranked opponents? Both Alabama and Ohio State are using first year starting  QB's, along with some retooling on the offense and defense so there will be hiccups.  Did Alabama struggle with West Virginia and escape as did OSU? Or was West Virginia tenacious enough to hang with the Tide? All the above questions I ask to get to this point: Ohio State wasn't a world beater today against Navy, but after seeing Alabama against unranked WVU, I'm not that worried.

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Ohio State is the better team. Better defense. That said, we'll drop anywhere from  10-20. Alabama will fall to 3-4.

-3 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Time to focus on VT.

+4 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

I cannot stand Bama, but I think they're better at this point

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

We won by 17 against a much better team. Our defense was more impressive too. Plus, our offense put up more points against a better defense. I'm not sure how you can say Alabama is better.

-2 HS
tOSUperiour's picture

The thing with Navy is that they're such a niche offense. They only had 20 yards passing today, but almost 400 yards of offense. I don't know there is a team in college football that could shut them down, outside of maybe Air Force. It's hard for me to look at Navy compared to West Virginia and say one is better than the other.  But next Saturday we'll be able to really check out the OSU defense against a traditional power team. Military Academies don't give you enough of a sample size to really judge a team's talent.

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

+4 HS
dwiz0918's picture

My thoughts exactly

dubjayfootball90's picture

Yes sir. This weekend will be a much better litmus test to compare the Buckeyes to others

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

magruder80's picture

Ohio State falls regardless because the vote came out before the injury. Now they can regroup. Just win the B1G and good things will happen

GOOMBAY's picture

Meh. Would rather drop and climb instead of enduring endless talking points from talking heads about Ohio State being too high on a weekly basis.

Nick's picture

Don't think we'll drop many top10 teams struggled and I think we played the best team besides A&M.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Not sure about us, but I don't think Bama will be there at the end, based on today (which, I know, is way, way too early). I haven't seen a team yet, including A&M (sorry, Kevin Sumlin has never won an important game) who looks like a lock for the Final Four.

AirForceNUT's picture

I honestly think MSU has looked the best which isn't saying much because of their competition.

Deadly Nuts's picture

OT: The first paragraph of Josh Moyer's recap of the OSU game:

BALTIMORE -- The game wasn’t supposed to go quite like this. 

Ohio State was supposed to pummel Navy for four quarters on Saturday. It was supposed to immediately show life could go on without injured quarterback Braxton Miller, that it could look like a Big Ten contender no matter what. It was supposed to resume last season’s dominating red zone offense right off the bat. 

lol.... what a douchenozzle, how this game went is exactly how a lot of us thought it would go.

Then this:

It wasn’t supposed to show up on ESPN’s “Upset Alert” midway through the fourth quarter. 

It was 27 to 17 at that point, not an upset alert.

LEBRON

-1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

If we drop........The fuckin conspiracy begins!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

-1 HS
BuckeyeOfTheTiger's picture

as long as there is a 1 in the W column I don't really put too much stock in week one.  plenty of time to learn, adjust, and improve

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Well FSU looked like shit at times too. They should drop then.

These rankings are so fucking dumb early on. Fucking Wiscy blowing it....pissed.

Seattle Linga's picture

I think most of us would have written the script a little differently with the way some of these games ended.

NashBuckeye's picture

Calm down.  Bucks are OK in this new system with 0 losses and probably with 1 as long as we win the B1G.  Watch some Hawaii vs. Washington to get your mind off the Wisky choke.

Furious George 27's picture

We covered the spread which most were predicting we wouldn't. 

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Personally I don't see how you can drop Ohio State. I know the rankings came out before Braxton was hurt but did one guy really make or break this team badly enough to drop a team that just beat a VERY good Navy team by 17? I just don't see how they fall out of the top 5. This team just went out and proved it could still score points and managed to somewhat contain a Navy offense that was very good last year and I'm willing to bet will be even better this year. Notre Dame beat a less experienced Navy team 38-34 last year and had to get a 4th down stop to end the game by killing the clock. We just didn't beat a scrub team by 17. We beat a damn good team by 17. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

dornstar's picture

Win, advance and move on.

We take care of our business and everything will fall into place. It's really that simple.

+1 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Exactly...I feel like I am a psychologist today.  THERE ARE FOUR SPOTS available in the Playoff! As much as it seems to irritate Espin analysts, OSUs name carries a lot of weight, so I do not think we will get screwed by the Committee if we deserve to be in the Playoff. 

I rooted like hell for Wisky tonight and was pissed about their choke, but a few drinks later and some Hawaii vs. Washington Football allowed me to get some perspective.  

-1 HS
BuckeyeFanInBoulder's picture

I personally don't think Bama won today... WVU found a way to lose.  Seriously, with the red zone int / failures on 1st and goal, dropped passes, etc. they left 14-17 pts on the field in my opinion.  I would not drop us in the polls but I won't be surprised if they move down a couple spots.  I would drop FSU and Bama from 1,2.  Nobody played lights out today but even against weaker opponents I think Oregon and Oklahoma are more deserving of 1,2.  Sparty Georgia and TAMU should be considered for top 5 as well.

Frimmel's picture

I agree that the Mousketeers left a lot of points on the field. I have trouble thinking that Bama couldn't have just scored all they needed though. I don't see Bama going undefeated though. They seemed sort of contemptuous of WVU. Like they were put out they were having to show up and play. Maybe playing down to their competition?

BuckeyeFanInBoulder's picture

Undefeated would be astonishing for Bama in my opinion.  I see them losing 3+