Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

I WANT THE SEC!!!

Jbucks's picture
August 26, 2014 at 1:07pm
24 Comments

Note: This is my first Forum Topic post so critisize it, hate it, love it, take it with a grain of salt if it pleases you.
Im watching B1G and beyond on BTN and they're having a discussion about the SEC and B1G, i didnt know this but i guess weve been going at it with them since the 1930's. From 1936-1997 (The Poll Era) the SEC claimed UPI Coaches poll 12 times while the B1G claimed it 11 times. So as the SEC Dominated this last decade of Football the time has come for the B1G to move forward and hit them hard. We have an early chance to do it as early as this saturday when The Badgers take on LSU and a very young inexpirienced QB. out of the 3 Bowl games that pitted B1G against the SEC this past year we went 1-2 with the 2 losses being close. Iowa a middle of the Pack B1G team was in it till the end against LSU an SEC powerhouse. This is the year to assert ourselves against the SEC, and as a Buckeye I WANT THEM BADLY! This is the year the SEC crumbles and I want our team to be the one to drive the stake through, and i want Bama in that championship!

route4buckeye's picture

Yeah... The SEC is not crumbling any time soon.

+9 HS
lljjgg's picture

I imagine you got your downvote for being honest haha. I think the B1G can thrive, even stand up to the SEC here and there, but I don't think you see the B1G really challenging the SEC anytime soon outside of OSU, MSU, and UM/PSU (UM & PSU if they find a way to bounce back from a decade or so of mediocrity). The recruiting is too good down south at the moment. Ohio and Pennsylvania are two of the only states in B1G country that can stand up to most SEC-based states in terms of producing talent year in and year out. OSU is a national name, PSU is perfectly located to thrive on recruiting in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. MSU is a bit flukey in the sense that they'd done it the old-fashioned way (fantastic coaching maximizing the talent they get). UM is also a national name, and they have historically never had an issue managing top-10 classes annually.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an SEC fan. But sadly I don't see the SEC crumbling anytime soon. With Texas A&M now in the fold, they dominate recruiting in the talent-rich states of Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, and South Carolina. I was very resistant to the "SEC is the best" rhetoric for the first 3-4 years, but when you look at recruiting over the last decade, it's hard to argue that they don't out-recruit every other conference regularly. OSU, UM, UTexas, USC, FSU, ND, and (arguably) PSU are some of the only teams outside of the SEC that recruit on par or better than the top half of the SEC aside from Alabama. I don't need the SEC to crumble though, I just need OSU to keep recruiting well in Ohio + a few of those states, and to smack these SEC teams in the mouth when they get the chance.

+1 HS
Tibor04's picture

um, walk back from the ledge there Jbucks. you may have noticed that SEC teams exist in talent-rich environments while midwest B1G teams have to get by on a veritable desert. not to mention the inherent advantages of oversigining and non-existent academic standards (SEC West in particular).

it ain't gonna happen for the B1G this year. recommend you delay this request--when PSU and Michigan regain their competitive standing, then the B1G can try to move from Loss column to the Win column more frequently. a more realistic objective would be for OSU to finally beat an SEC team in a bowl game that was not disqualified.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Criticize*

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Rill Dill, is this your other account?

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Losing 6 of their top 7 QB's is going to make this the year to get them. I personally feel like most people are sleeping on Auburn. I think they should be ranked ahead of Bama by everyone and yet everyone has them behind. Bama still hasnt declared a starting QB.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

I'd like the B1G and the SEC to schedule a series similar to what the B1G has with the ACC in basketball. Have every B1G team play a different SEC team every year

B1G! B1G! B1G!

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+1 HS
Jbucks's picture

If you think about it theres not as mich seperation as media hypes would want you to believe. Somehow the Pac 12 surpassed us with 2 teams being good and faultering in big games. The SEC's top 3 teams (Bama, AU, LSU) went 1-2 in the Bowl games last year. with LSU' 7 point win over IOWA was the only win. We wont surpass the SEC this year, but gain ground we can. IF Wisky beats LSU, That would give them some credibility in the national stage. If MSU beats Oregon then People would have to recognize power in the B1G, Also the teams playing ND this year have got to get a convincing win. I'd say that at the end of the year OSU, MSU, WISKY, IOWA, NEBRASKA (PSU could be but without bowl game there nothing to show for it) will all be ranked, not trying to get too far ahead of myself here but its very possible this is the year we re-assert ourselves we all want it and we all NEED it. also the B1G's recruiting can take off after winning a few big games.

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

-1 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

Actually, if you use the actual rankings, the top three SEC teams last season were Auburn, South Carolina and Missouri. (Ranked 2nd, 4th and 5th in the final polls.)  The top three teams actually went 2-1 in their bowls, with the only loss being a last second loss to the national champion.  South Carolina and Missouri both beat ranked opponents by double digits in their bowl games.  The SEC went 7-3 overall in their bowl games.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Bama was a 1 loss team before bowl season and were most definitely  in the top 3 in the sec. Their top 2 teams lost their 2 biggest games.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

rock flag and eagle's picture

I guess that's the point.  Even when one of the SEC's top teams stumble, other teams are right there to step up and knock off ranked opponents.  That's why they are the best conference, because they have 2-3 elite teams, and 2-3 more nipping at those teams' heels.  That's why they always finish with so many teams in the top ten.  Because they have lots of good teams. 

+1 HS
Vinsaniti's picture

I want to beat the SEC(ESPN) as much as the next guy. I see it happening with Wisky by a little, thanks to NO Bert faceplant. Seriously I hope what ever happens with the season OSU has a chance to play and beat an SEC(ESPN) team. After the comments by Edward Aschoff, I want to crush them and kill!

10. Ohio State will lose to another SEC team: The loss of quarterback Braxton Miller might have spoiled the Buckeyes' playoff hopes, but they'll find a way to meet an SEC team during the postseason and continue their time-honored tradition of losing to the SEC. Come January, the Buckeyes will be 0-11 against the SEC in bowl games.

-1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

If only we hadn't had our memories of the Arkansas Sugar bowl erased...

We didn't "win" that game, so obviously we are still decidedly inferior to the SEC.

NCAA = The Matrix

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
Bucksfan's picture

I've been wanting this for years, and I don't think it is ever going to happen.  There are many reasons why: the biggest being that the SEC cares more about football than anything else.  More than academics, more than research, more than Title IX, more than everything.  SEC schools average maybe 60-75% the number varsity sports per school than the B1G (Ohio State has 34, while Florida has 22, for example.  Penn State has 29, Alabama has 21.  Michigan has 27, LSU has 21).  This means more money for football and football coaching salaries.  It could be illegal, but the feds have a hard time enforcing Title IX (not meant to start a political discussion, but as Ohio State fans I think we are allowed to feel a little self-righteous that we haven't turned our backs on various sports, including women's sports, for the sake of football or basketball).  On the other hand, the B1G has an enormous network deal, and it makes more money off of TV and bowls than any other conference...yet it still doesn't translate into highest coaching salaries.

Therefore, to me it has more to do with coaching than talent (except for QB, where the B1G lags behind even some mid-tier conferences).

+1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

This.

When the B1G decides to spend money on coaching, then there might be a shift in the tide. With the increased connectivity that improved technology and social media has provided for coaches and players, college football is no longer one team's state vs. another. A kid from Georgia is just as likely to end up at Ohio State as UGA because Urban can make it happen. Alabama is not the premier state for high school talent, but Saban wins because he has established brand identity and can recruit nationally. In the meantime, most B1G teams are relying on the 2nd tier talent of their state because they don't have coaching staffs worth playing for, and the 10-12 dominant coaching staffs in the country pick up the first tier talent.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I think a lot of it is just mental.  B1G teams now show up to play a SEC team and they are defeated before ever taking the field.  They go into the game just hoping to put up a respectable showing and keep it close.  It's a lot like when teams were playing USC during the Carroll years.  Those teams were so good, the intimidation alone was worth 3 TDs.  I think until a team from the B1G (IMO, its going to have to be OSU because of the losses in the NCGs), shows up, and pounds an SEC team, nothing will change.  I know about the win against Arkansas, and while that was a good Arkansas team, OSU barely got by, and it wasn't a Bama, LSU, Georgia or Florida.  A beatdown (3 TD margin or greater) has to take place for the conference as a whole to regain some swagger, not just against the SEC, but in all games versus top opponents (I know MSU beat Stanford, but it was, and that Stanford team also lost to Utah).

+1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

I refuse to believe this.

If your team is scared to play another team because of stigma, you don't have a good team (or coach for that matter). 

Not to mention, these rosters are made up of 85 of the most competitive young men in the country at their age. You think they reached that level by allowing other people's opinions to affect them? I could see a few pansies on the team allowing that mentality to set in, but if you asked a healthy Braxton Miller who he'd like to play for the championship, it would be Bama. That's what competitors do, especially in this sport.

Besides, it's just as easy to have a defeated mentality as it is to have an underdog one. It's all about how a coach channels that external buzz towards his team's ears.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

I understand what you are saying, but everyone is human.  If the best team won every week by showing up, there wouldn't be any point in playing the game.  It's the reason there are rarely more than 1 or 2 undefeated teams at the end of the year.  Somewhere along the line, teams overlook other teams, and aren't mentally ready to play.

You can usually get a sense on how a game is going to go very early on, based off of the energy the teams are playing with.  I say it all the time while watching a game, usually in the 1st quarter, either something like, "this won't be close," or "this isn't going to be good."

I have all the faith in the world in Urban and his motivational techniques.  I'm just saying, it's hard to point to any SEC/B1G game in recent memory, or really any other big time match up of highly ranked teams, and say the B1G team stepped on the throat of the opponent and put them away when they had the chance.  The B1G teams more often than not are playing it safe, and hoping to be around in the 4th quarter with a chance to win   A lot of that comes from the coaches and preparation, not necessarily a reflection on the players competitiveness.

TURD_BUCKET's picture

At least we don't have to listen to the Paul Finebaum radio show

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

bucknut1994's picture

The only good thing that ever came from him was when that redneck bama fan called into to confessing to poisoning the trees at Toomer's Corner.

Class of 2016

GVerrilli92's picture

This is how I feel about the SEC.

OscarSierraUniform's picture

I want Ohio State to crush anyone and everyone in their path.  That's what I want more than anything.  If it involves destroying a SEC squad or 2, so be it.  But I want Ohio State to absolutely dismantle its opponents.

See ball, get ball.