Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

BTN on OSU defense this year

Sims_tOSU's picture
August 7, 2014 at 12:43am
39 Comments

One of the members of the BTN crew today on the big ten live at OSUs practice today said that ohio states defense will be a lot like Michigan states defense. If he is right then there is no doubt in my mind that we will be national contenders if not the favorite. Personally I think if he had MSUs defense last year then we would have won the national championship. So I'm hoping that he is right !

Rob Reese's picture

Personally I think if he had MSUs defense last year then we would have won the national championship.

I'm going to go with No Brainers for 800, Alex. 

In any event, I sure as hell hope they're right about that.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+21 HS
Knarcisi's picture

If they're half right, we are in good shape. 

+3 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Lots of positive tweets from the BTN crew today. Gotta like getting love from folks who are seeing these kids live for the first time since January.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Sure does seem like the expectation bar has risen with the Buckeye community. If the defense doesn't show much improvement, I sense there will be some angry folks out there. But, there is no way the D won't improve right?

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

112 out of 125 teams? Can't get much worse. 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Uhh I think he was talking about scheme.

+4 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

I'm hoping for the O-line to develop into a solid unit. I am relatively confident in the defense. The secondary can't be any worse.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+1 HS
CC's picture

That's funny, I look at it exactly the opposite.  No concern about the o-line, I'll beleive it when I see it re: db's.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

DiNardo once again harping on the run game.-_-

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
faux_maestro's picture

He's been concerned with our lack of a "downhill running game" for 3 years now. That dude has no clue. 

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+4 HS
mtrotb's picture

Trivia-who fired Dinardo at LSU?  A-Mark Emmert, who was the prez back then.

mtrotb

+3 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Huh?  He actually says that?

faux_maestro's picture

He's been saying that before each of the last 3 seasons. I think he doesn't like the spread and equates it to non-physical football. This version of the spread has been some of the most aggressive physical football I've ever seen in the college game.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

Fatpants's picture

That's why the dude is on BTN and not coaching.

My concerns for this year, in order:

Defense

Miller's health

Receivers

Kicking game

Finding time to watch all the games

Is time warner going to drop BTN

Will my wife keep trying to talk during the games

The run game

+7 HS
funtubs's picture

No concern for the OLine?

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

No. If there's been one constant over the last two years it's been Warriner's bunch.

BassDropper's picture

because it was the same bunch.

DIRECTIONER

BME_Buckeye's picture

That's nice and all but I hate how Michigan state is now the standard for what we want. Let them have their identity on defense, I rather have ours and a true Silver Bullet defense.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+5 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Huh? So even though they had a good defense and ours resembled hot garbage on occasion last year you don't want to look like them?

+2 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

No because I want our defense to be better than them. Ohio state standard for defense should be to be a trendsetter not a follower and want for what another team has. No discredit to State and the defense they've had over the years because they are solid. However, with our talent we've brought in and coaching I think we can field a excellent defense or one comparable to them.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+3 HS
Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

I believe this is a matter of steps. They have set the standard, and we are below it. Before you can surpass it, you must first worry about meeting it. Once we can come anywhere close to saying we meet their standard, then we can, and I believe will, surpass it and set our own standard. One step at a time, brother.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

I think BME_Buckeye is missing the point.  Last year's MSU defense looked like an OSU 'Silver bullets' defense.  No one is saying MSU is now the standard for defenses; rather, people are giving (& righlty so) MSU the respect they deserve for just how staunch their defense truly was last year.  It was very OSU like, and that should come as no surprise seeing as how the guy who's leading it is an OSU guy! (Mark Dantonio).  He knows a thing or two about what a good OSU defense is supposed to look like.

+2 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

NO, those in CF, who need to be different are the ones that need a gimmick to be noticed.

The Rill Dill's picture

They were an above average defense.  They were not world beaters, or the 85 Bears.  Damn.  Enough.  November 8th.

+5 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Top 5 defense. Top 10 offense.

1stYrBuckIClub's picture

Top 5 defense. Top 10 5 offense. 

There, I fixed that for you.

+2 HS
Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

Top 5 defense. Top 10 5 offense

Now, it's fixed!

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

Seattle Linga's picture

Can't wait until they start clicking on all cylinders - we will get better game after game after game.

+1 HS
Brutus1972's picture

I'm way more worried about the OLine's ability to run block between the tackles and the OT's ability to keep an elite pass rushing DE or OLB off of XBrax. The defense will start out with some hiccups, be strong by the time the conference slate starts and be dominant by the time they roll to East Lansing and beyond. Mark it down!

Ahh Saturday's picture

The gap between MSU and OSU on the defensive side of the football is a consequence of coaching, period. While Sparty has some talent they do not have more talent than the Buckeyes. When the Buckeyes had Dantonio as DC in '02, we were truly an elite defense. The Heacock D that throttled Oregon in the Rose Bowl and Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl was pretty good too. Since then our defense has been an embarrassment. I really hope that bringing in Ash will be enough to return us to the Silver Bullets of old.

+1 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Hmm, seems I missed the airing of this. Anyone know if it is on the web somewhere? I looked at BTN's schedule and it doesn't look like it will be on again anytime soon.

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I'll take any improvement in the secondary. 20 spots in the rankings would be enough. I don't think that is an unrealistic goal.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
BGSUBucksFan's picture

Bleacher Report giving high praise as well.  It seems they need to simmer down a bit with all of the unknowns yet to undergo a live snap, but it's nice to see a number of media hopefuls.  Go home, Mark May.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2152328-ohio-state-football-2014-comp...

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Wow these guys are really going out on a thin branch. Top defense in the Nation? I think if Roby and Shazier had returned and played full speed we would  have  that possibility. I believe we can finish top ten and I think our hurry up offense kind of prevents us from the ability to put up top 5 statistics. Also the B1G returns basically every  major starting QB from last year while the sec loses their top 5 or 7 QB's. Pac 12 also returns  all of their top QB's. Because of that fact combined with the grind it out style I think we will see the sec field most of the top defensive stats with Florida,Bama,LSU,and USCe all being top 10 units. Sometimes the best defense doesnt put up the best stats because of other factors and I feel we should just be very grateful if we can field a top 10 statistical unit.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Him1stftballl8er's picture

My biggest concerns are as follows, in order:

1) Our back 7

2) Receivers

3) Braxton's health/development

4) Backup QB

5) OL development

Warriner will have them ready. Several comments have been made that state we are in better shape on the OL then we were in '12 and look at what Warriner did with them that year. Our OL will be ready. 

The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the promotion of fools. 

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

They seriously got all that from a practice?  I hate to be debbie downer but it's a practice; they're killing me.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
hardkorethree's picture

No kidding.  I think we ought to take this with a huge grain of salt and wait til we face some good opponents.  These guys are probably talking up every single team in the Big 10.

+1 HS
southbay's picture

I think they are mostly looking at the overall talent level, and assuming the talent play up to their potential, then the Buckeyes will have a very good defense.  In other words, they look good on paper.  A lot depends on new guys who haven't had much PT though.

We'll know soon.

buckeyedexter's picture

I think he was talking about having a similar scheme and using press coverage.  I don't think he was predicting they would execute it as well as Mich St did last year.

+1 HS