Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Who is your pick for Top WR this year?

WayCraKen's picture
July 31, 2014 at 8:43pm
40 Comments

Im not sure I could name a top 3 right now. 

Wilson, ........ And .......  I think 2 of the top 3 may be a surprise.  But I couldnt begin to name them based on the Spring game. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

RodCorey Smith.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I agree.  I feel the kid from Akron Buchtel by way of junior college is about to explode.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

I was at a state semifinal game few years back and Corey Smith owned Dymonte Thomas. Hope to see that again soon.

+2 HS
tgreenbuckeye92's picture

Michael Thomas, this is going to be his breakout year.

+4 HS
lljjgg's picture

I'm REALLY hoping so. I feel like with his size and athleticism, he could really be a difference maker in the offense. I'm quite curious about the GT transfer Jeff Greene, as well.

funtubs's picture

I'm hoping Jeff Greene does well, that'll show recruits that tall receivers can work in Urban's system

+1 HS
tgreenbuckeye92's picture

I would really love to see Jeff Greene make a big impact too. He seems to be flying under the radar a bit but his potential is undeniable.

Hovenaut's picture

Agreed, I think he's due.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

-1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Devin Smith and Evan Spencer are still on the roster.  I think Thomas can fill that Chris Fields as a 3rd/4th WR.  I can't picture Wilson being what Philly Brown was down the field.  They are electric in different ways.  

+1 HS
bassplayer7770's picture

It's difficult not to say Devin Smith, but it's almost an embarrassment of riches (or at least potential) at the position with Dontre, Mike Thomas, Corey Smith, Johnny Dixon, Jalin Marshall, not to mention Jeff Heuerman.  This really should be an exciting year to watch assuming the OL steps up and the DBs are greatly improved as expected.

WhySoSerious's picture

Devin= Catches. Thomas 2nd

Wilson= Yards Devin 2nd 

Heuerman= Tds Devin 2nd

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Devin Smith, Heuerman, James sturdy knees Clark

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The cool thing is that your the link you spammed doesn't even discuss the WRs.

+8 HS
IslandBumBuckeye's picture

I honestly feel that Braxton will play a large part in determining the answer to this question. Philly was his security blanket last year, and whoever he "mind melds" with this year (I'm looking at you, Jalin) could be the guy.

"...because they wouldn't let me go for three."

bakerjon's picture

Yeah, I think your are right here.  Whoever he finds a comfort level with. I think I heard that Miller rooms with Michael Thomas at least on the road. That's some level of comfortability. You saw what happened when Smooth Jazz needed one last year. He went to Fields who was his roomy.  QBs go where they have confidence. 

"He Good!"
"Good and terrible..."

BroJim's picture

I'll go with Mike Thomas

I season my simple food with hunger

OSU069's picture

Devin Smith or Michael Thomas for catches. Devin Smith or Dontre Wilson for yards. Heuerman for touchdowns.

Codeezy's picture

Dontre Wilson won't lead in catches, because he's gonna take it to the house 50% of the time he touches it. This dude is gonna rewrite some history before he's done. 

+1 HS
bbb's picture

50% of the time. I know he's good, but no one is that good

+3 HS
Jabba the Hoke's picture

You're right that should read 75%.

+3 HS
bbb's picture

that might have been mildly humorous if it made even a little sense in the context of my comment

-4 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Evan Spencer

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

Seattle Linga's picture

Smitty and Clark will be amazing this season

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Dontre is going to have 70+ catches

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
Jabba1977's picture

Jeff Green,Micheal Thomas,and James Clark!!!

SECHATER77

kicks's picture

Wilson, Smith, Thomas, Greene, Smith, Spencer, Marshall, Dixon, Clark.  Don't care about a top 3, get them the ball and enjoy the show.

WesPatterson23's picture

I hate to say this, but I just don't think Jeff Greene will have a huge receiving year. He is, in fact a walk-on, and someone fairly new to the program. I know he gives us a dimension that we really need (height), but I just don't think he will get too much playing time. Now, I hope I am wrong, but with all the other talent, pt will be tough to get. Unless he has a huge camp, he may just be have a limited role including blocking FG's. But again I hope I am wrong because he could be a huge red zone threat and a big-time mismatch.

+2 HS
SAK's picture

I agree. It seemed that OSU could have used a tall receiver in the red zone last year. I can see Greene being used there.

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Devin Smith, Dontre Wilson, and Mike Thomas with Spencer close behind.

cinserious's picture

Devin Smith and Evan Spencer are the incumbents. Smith will get his but Spencer, I feel will get supplanted by Corey Smith or Jeff Green. Spencer is a real good down field blocker but if Corey or Green can block, they have more receiving upside. Minus Carlos Hyde, the emphasis on down field blocking might be diminished in 2014. 

Michael Thomas= situational receiver (Mike the Situation) 

James Clark, Johnnie Dixon, and Jalin Marshall are all beasts in their own right but I don't think 2014 will be their year.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
PAWEST1202's picture

Mike "The Situation" and the entire Jersey Shore experience is something that I wish could be erased from American Pop Culture history

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Instead of me picking a WR, I just want to say that I hope all the WR's and Flankers, etc., as a unit perform well and consistently get open and give Miller options to quick strike all year long.................oh, and I really hope the O-line can keep Miller healthy and upright!! Go Bucks!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
1MechEng's picture

Ryan Timmons?!

Just kidding, Waycraken.  ;)

Going to say Heuerman, D. Smith, and Evan Spencer. Spencer has been primarily a (very good) blocking receiver the last couple of years, but I expect him to step up more this year.

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

Devin Smith for sure. Meyer has been getting on him to be a more consistent receiver and I think he will make strides in that.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

Gametime's picture

The names Urban has mentioned have been Wilson, Marshall, Corey Smith, & Dixon as far as these young guys go. I try not to hate on Devin Smith, but when you look at that tweet by Mike Thomas, it's completely legit, but it's also a double-edged sword primarily because MT didn't get enough of the offense.

I think I just heard Urban say the same thing about Mike recently either during his car wash on ESPN or the B1G Media days, that "Mike Thomas doesn't completely grasp what we're trying to do".

I haven't heard much talk about Evan Spencer at all, but if it was up to me, I'd like to see Wilson, Corey Smith, Marshall, & Jeff Greene w/ our TEs working the middle of the field when we go 4-Wide. 

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
WayCraKen's picture

Interesting. The responses are all over the board. It seems Wilson, Thomas and a Smith is most often mentioned. Surprising to me is the mention by many of Green and Clark. 

I would have to go with Wilson Thomas and Huerman. 

+2 HS
southbay's picture

Can't guard Mike.

-1 HS
GreatLakesMike's picture

Shot in the dark, but I'll go with Marshall. I do think one of this bunch steps up and plays like a future pro.