Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Best/Favorite Buckeye Offensive Lineman (not named Orlando Pace)

Fly Patterns's picture
July 23, 2014 at 12:14am
27 Comments

A follow-up post to the Wide Receivers from last week.  I don't do my research like Remy does for the jersey numbers as a countdown to the season, but I thought I'd pass the time between now and FNL by opening it up to who you think the best Buckeye Offensive Lineman is who you watched or who was your favorite.  I'm taking Pace out because he is clearly the best Buckeye OL ever and arguably the best OL in college football history.  

I would say my top two are Korey Stringer and Nick Mangold.  I don't know if Mangold won any big awards (I think the Rimington award is for Centers), but he came in underrated by these scouting services we follow so closely and backed up Stepanovich on the 2002 championship team and went on to have a great career with TS10 under center.  Stringer was 1st team AA and did historic damage to defenses with Pace, Eddie, and Robert Smith.

What say you?

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

I was gonna say Stringer too, RIP. I remember when Pace was coming in as a Freshman people said he could be better than Stringer which was like hearing a new holiday was gonna be better than Christmas, it just didn't compute.

Also, I think Mangold may have started in that championship game. I think they moved Stepanovich over or played Mangold at guard or something. My memory tells me that by January he was too good to keep off the field.

+4 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

I think you're right about Mangold. And turned into an excellent pro.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The top three are Jim Parker, John Hicks & Orlando Pace.

The greatest Ohio State offensive line was 1973.

John Hicks went #3 overall in the following draft, then Juniors Kurt Schumacher & Doug France were both selected in the 1st round the next year. Seniors Dan Scott, Jim Kregel & Junior Kurt Schumacher were also drafted.

1994 was arguably #2.

+2 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

Agree about the '73 O-line, Scarlet. I'd put Lachey, in there with Hicks and Stringer... It's hard to pick (after Orlando), cuz there have been so many great O linemen that played for our beloved Buckeyes. Also, if you want to go waaaaaaay back, it's hard to leave "The Toe" off the list - Lou Groza.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Jim Lachey was pretty damn good too.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Jim was the player I modeled myself after while in HS...well as much as a 5'10" tackle can hope for. lol

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I love Jim Lachey.... Mostly because I drank with him at the Gold Pants Social last year.... He gave me blocking advice while I tried to get him to let me wear his Super Bowl ring (he didn't let me).

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
PennBuckeyeNation's picture

Before pace, the late Ohio native, Korey Stringer (1992-1994). 2003 OSU HOF inductee.

Pennsylvania Buckeye

-2 HS
droessl's picture

I'm gonna go with JB Shu*

*oh crap, I hit "save" too quickly! Replay the down. 

+10 HS
Bags5150's picture

We've been blessed with some pretty good centers over the years.  Jeff Uhlenhake and LeCharles Bentley also come to mind.  As for overall best linemen I would have to go Pace, Stringer 1 & 2 with Lachey & Mangold 3a & 3b

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

+2 HS
gobucks96's picture

Big baby Orlando Pace.

BuckminsterFullback's picture

My initial reaction to the question was "Jim Lachey", but, according to the OSU media guide, Lachey had only 4 starts prior to his senior year. It's interesting that, although he was 6'6", he played guard at OSU. He went on to become one of the best pass-blocking LT of all time in the NFL.

The media guide notes that Lachey was "Blessed with unusual speed and strength for a man his size". A friend of mine, who attended a high school in the same league as St. Henry, told me that Lachey ran the 100-yd dash in high school, and was pretty decent.

1MechEng's picture

LeCharles Bentley was very underrated. From the all-knowing Wikipedia:

"Bentley attended Ohio State University, where he was a four-year letterman for the Ohio State Buckeyes football team from 1998 to 2001, first for head coach John Cooper, then for Jim Tressel during his senior year. As a senior in 2001, he won the Rimington Trophy as college football's best center,[1] received first-team All-Big Ten Conference honors, and was recognized as a consensus first-team All-American.[2] He was a human development and family science major."

I would also nominate Jim Parker. Back in the mid-1950's, Jim Parker was a beast. Played Offensive Guard, and was 6'2", 240# at a time when linemen were much smaller. Dominant individual. In both the Pro and College Football Hall of Fame. 2 time 1st-team All-American. Often considered one of the best lineman ever.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture
-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Guys...Taylor Decker is our next great and will be a top 10 pick.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I really hope you are right Heisman - we need a good solid leader on the line

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I loved that 2002-2003 OLine that had no business being that good. They were phenomenal.

That being said, I'll throw in two guys that no one mentions. Juan Porter, the center for the Bucks in the mid-90s, and Mike Brewster. Brewster got a bum wrap for the OLine performance in 2012, but he had a mean streak a mile wide, and was pretty athletic for the position IMO.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

osu07asu10's picture

Tyler "Tank" Whaley. 

Led the first touchdown drive at Texas in 06 as a center. Few more inches and he'd of been a stalwart on the line.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
512buckeye's picture

Lined him up at fullback as well. 

Let's party, Columbus.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

They sure did. During his time he was probably one of the more gifted lineman we had, had a motor like none other but just didn't have the measurables (read: height). Still, when they lined him up at FB and ran Beanie at teams, it was tough to stop that power!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Seattle Linga's picture

Looks like he's hiding something.

+1 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

In my lifetime other than Pace it'd have to be Korey Stringer (not just because I'm from Warren)

Hovenaut's picture

Stringer and Lachey.

Lachey was Mark May's teammate on some very good Redskins teams in the late 80's. I still think Mark May is huge doocher though.

OscarSierraUniform's picture

So many good ones to choose from.  Hicks, Stringer, Lachey, Loudermilk, DeLeone, et al.  Of all them besides Pace, my vote would go to Hicks.

See ball, get ball.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Nick Mangold and ... JB Shugarts

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Grande Gustavo's picture

Marcus Hall. 100% for the double birds of death. That is my #1 buckeye moment of my lifetime and I honestly doubt something will ever top it. 

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check.