Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Can the Horseshoe beat the Big House?

703Buckeye's picture
July 7, 2014 at 2:16pm
17 Comments

I came across another article comparing OSU's phenomenal tickets sales against the abysmal sales in Ann Arbor. What made this article interesting is the main question presented; can the Horseshoe beat the Big House in season attendance?

While Michigan has reigned as college football’s attendance leader for 39 of the past 40 years, a perfect brew of events has positioned Ohio State to swipe the crown.

At the same time, OSU is bracing for record six-figure crowds at newly renovated Ohio Stadium — one prominent ticket broker calls the Buckeyes the hottest team in the country — Michigan faces its toughest sell in decades. Thousands of past ticket buyers are saying no thanks amid increased prices, decreased results, and a blah home schedule highlighted by a prime-time visit from Penn State.

Most telling is the veering paths of the rivals’ usually most loyal faction: the students.

While Dave Brandon is blaming ticket sales on flat-screen TV's, OSU is blowing past their student season ticket allotment. It will be interesting to see if the Bucks can lead the nation in attendance this season.

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/400565?referrer_id=878183

BierStube's picture

yes

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+3 HS
OSUClub_Baseball27's picture

He should blame it on the terrible design of the stadium. One level for bathrooms. Almost pissed myself 3 times last season I had to wait so long in line

TheTeam16's picture

There are actually bathrooms below the stadium as well, massive ones. If you go to the game next year use those, longest wait I have ever had for those bathrooms is 10 minutes top.

OSUClub_Baseball27's picture

Won't be back until OSU plays up North again but next time I will take your advice haha

OSUStu's picture

Actually, the entire place is pretty much one massive toilet.  

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+7 HS
Fatpants's picture

Don't feel bad. I nearly pissed myself watching it from home. 

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Where's PSU in the conversation? Don't they have a bigger stadium that us? I'm just wondering, I don't know a damn thing about their ticket sales.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+2 HS
luckynutz's picture

Yes, Beaver Stadium is either the 2nd or 3rd largest stadium in the country. And the buzz and excitement around the Franklin hire could generate some solid juju for their sales. That will probably be enough to fill it early in the year until the reality of their roster situation sets in and losses start piling up.

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

PSU is 2nd, they surpassed us the year we were finishing construction on the totally unnecessary press boxes. 

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

The PSU website has it at an official 106,572. That said, they have had gradually decreasing showings for the past few years, dropping to 96,587 this past year. So though it is possible due to the new coach and all, they would still have to make up close to 10,000 to compete for the top spot most likely. Again, entirely possible but not as likely as it is for tOSU to snag the title.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Tennessee also has a bigger stadium, I believe.  Of course their program sucks right now, so...not sure about attendance but I imagine similar to PSU/TTUN.

Class of 2010.

TheTeam16's picture

All the tickets that were turned down by students were opened up to the general public, but with our home slate this year...I wouldn't doubt it if this is the first time in many years we are surpassed. 

In the end though, I do not think it will happen relating to the hiring of Doug. All I heard about last year at games was how people were not renewing their tickets if Borges was still OC. If we suck though, it wont matter if the reincarnate Bo to be the OC, they wont sell out games. 

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Read below... The Shoe wins all day every day! If you max out your stadium every game then overall numbers don't matter it's are you sold out or are you not. BTW based upon that Nebraska has sold out like 330+ games in a row.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-stadiums-college-football-e...

+1 HS
Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

Nebraska's streak is very impressive. If I remember correctly it goes back to the '62 or '63 season.

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

1. Don't forget OSU added 2500 seats this season. 2. The luxury boxes can buy standing room tickets. It would be great if an all-time record Michigan crowd put OSU over the top for the season attendance record. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS