Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Who would be your all-time Buckeye QB, 2 RB's & 2 WR's?

Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture
July 3, 2014 at 11:34am
77 Comments

I was originally gonna go with all time starting offense but it would have taken too long. As a lifelong Buckeye fan I have been to many game at The Shoe & have seen countless great Ohio State players. Actually there are too many to list so here are my five selections...

QB: Troy Smith (he was 3-0 vs. meeeechegan, enough said)

RB's: Archie & Eddie (three Heisman's between 'em, not too shabby)

WR's: HOFer Cris Carter & Terry Glenn

Honorable Mention: Craig Krenzel, Beanie Wells, Keith Byars, Terry Glenn, Santonio 'OhNo!' Holmes.

OH-IO...GO BUCKEYES!!!

m5987usus's picture

Which of the Terry Glenn's is Teddy Ginn. Haha.

O-H!

Could have mentioned Ginn but just decided to go with those WR's instead.

TCOB_6's picture

I think he was referring to the fact you have Terry Glenn on there twice.

WR's: HOFer Cris Carter & Terry Glenn

Honorable Mention: Craig Krenzel, Beanie Wells, Keith Byars, Terry Glenn, Santonio 'OhNo!' Holmes.

kmp10's picture

QB: Schlichter (and it's not even close. He could do all that Troy Smith could do and he was 6'3" 220)

RB: Griffin, Byers

WR: Glenn, Carter

+4 HS

While Art had a damn good career at Ohio State he didn't beat Tsun as many times as Troy did.

kmp10's picture

My answer to your hypothetical question does not take into consideration weather or not these guys were good people and/or admired team mates. You asked who I would choose, not who beat TTUN the most or who was the best citizen… and Schlichter is who I would pick. I've seen all of these players in person. I was at Ohio State with Art, and he was better than Troy Smith; Schlichter was the 4th overall pick in the '82 draft. As far as his "personality", that wasn't a consideration. My decision is based on who can line up under center and give Ohio State the best chance to win. Schlichter, in my opinion, is that guy. Is he a good citizen? Obviously, the answer is no. Is he the standard by which Ohio State QB's should be judged? Yes, I believe so. Again, he was every bit the athlete Smith was… except he was about a half foot taller and much bigger. 

HighBallAce's picture

And a personality to boot...smh Meaning Schlichter

niblick's picture

Joe Germain  (anyone that says Troy Smith was simply too young in 98 to know what they were watching, period, or simply not born yet)

Eddie & Archie

CC and Galloway

+1 HS

Joey is another great selection. One of his former teammates Antoine Winfield is one of my all time favorite Buckeyes.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Wasn't Hoying an even better QB than Germaine? Don't knock people because their preference is a Heisman winner.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

Habu71's picture

Troy Smith

Archie & Eddie

Chris Carter & Joey Galloway

+1 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

QB- Troy Smith

RB- Eddie & Archie

WR- CC & Galloway

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

QB - Terrelle Pryor - 3-0 against ttun, 3 BCS bowls, 2 BCS bowl MVPs. One of the best athletes to ever play at this school, and he came up huge in big games. I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for it, but the guy was simply unreal.

RB1 - Eddie George - Probably not much needs to be said. One of the most physically gifted RBs ever to come out of college.

RB2 - Keith Byars - Deserved the Heisman in 84, if not for Flutie's Hail Mary it would've been his. Huge bruiser that was a load to take down. Underrated collegiate and pro career. Great rusher but also an elite blocker and pass catcher.

WR1 - Cris Carter - If you put him in the 80s SF offense, he'd of done everything Rice did and more. One of the most physically gifted players at the position with arguably the best hands in NFL history.

WR2 - Joey Galloway - Speed for days, played a very long NFL career despite his lack of size (5'11, 195).

+6 HS

I like your list. It's a bummer though how TP's career at Ohio State ended.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

I know it. If not for Tatgate, I liked them to win a title and a Heisman his senior year.

+2 HS

Yeah, what could have been. Isn't TP in Seattle now?

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Yup, sounds like he's in good position to earn a roster spot as Wilson's backup.

+2 HS

Exactly. If I remember correctly TP will make more money this year than Russell Wilson. I'm sure RW can't wait until his rookie contract ends.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Yeah I think you're right. He's only making something like $700k this year or so. He is going to be getting a fat payday, though. Probably somewhere around $15-18 mil or so. Worth every penny. I wanted him on the Browns so badly in the 2012 draft.

+1 HS

He should get a contract greater than SF's QB got I would think. And just to think about all the potential players the Browns COULD have drafted simply makes me sick. When the Browns drafted Johnny Foosball I wanted to drive all the way to Cleveland & sucker punch whoever was responsible for drafting that clown.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Well evidently it was a homeless guy, so that'd of been mean... 

+2 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Fun fact: Cris Carter is the NFL's all-time leader in one-handed receptions. I read that somewhere a little while ago, but it proves your point he has the best hands.

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

QB would be TP. That dude was just a beast and I still feel like he barely scratched the surface.

RB1 is Keith Byers. I loved watching him just roll over dudes, with or without cleats

RB2 is Carlos Hyde. I still feel that if he had an entire season, he would have won the Heisman.

WR1 would have to be Cris Carter. That guy could catch everything.

WR2 would have to be Joey Galloway. I would do what I could to line this dude up in the slot today. With that speed, he would destroy opposing offenses.

-The Aristocrats!

+5 HS
tussey's picture

QB:  Joe Bauserman 

RB:  Maurice Wells, Jaamal Berry

WR:  Taurian Washington, Bam Childress

+13 HS

What no mention of Maurice Clarett or Roy Small?

-1 HS
exnwohiobuckfan's picture

Do you mean Ray Small, or Roy Hall?

+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

I need to go with the all sanction team:

QB: Terrelle Pryor

RB: Dan Herron

RB2: Maurice Clarrett

WR: Devier Posey

WR: Ray Small

LEBRON

-3 HS

And Tricky Tressel the HC?

-2 HS
lamplighter's picture

Any list that fails to at least mention Rex Kern is incomplete.  Different era and different game, but there has been none better,  Oh, and he won a NC as a sophmore (remember, freshmen were not eligible back then) (should have won another - 1969 - another excellent reason to hate TTUN and Bo)

+4 HS

Then in 1970 it was that damn Jim Plunkett & Stanford.

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

The ones I enjoyed watching most were QB Chad Henne, RB"S Mike Hart-Kevin Grady, WR Steve breaston - Mario Manningham. O Wins was so fun with these guys.

+7 HS
BigZ's picture

QB: Troy Smith

RB: Eddie and Mo C, Beanie Wells and MoC are close, but Mo won me a NC (born in 80 so never got to see Archie, or else he would probably be on here)

WR: Joey Galloway and Santonio Holmes (maybe my two fav Buckeyes, again too young to remember Chris Carter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gotta give the edge to Beanie over Mo. Yes Mo did help shock The U back in '02 but Beanie never embarrassed himself like Mo did. Plus I watched Beanie play in HS.

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Are you an Akron guy, zaph?

Yes I am, from Firestone Park. How about yourself?

sox33osu's picture

Nice. Not born and raised, but I moved to Cuyahoga Falls in 2012.

Good deal, home of the Tigers. I got outta Akron once & for all back in Jan. of '06. Can't say I really miss it.

sox33osu's picture

Home of the Black Tigers, to be exact. Don't know why they wouldn't just make it the Panthers. Is there even such thing as a black tiger?

And all these years I have just been calling them the Tigers. Although I have no idea if there are any black tigers in the wild.

QB - I'm going with Krenzel. Smith and Miller were probably better QBs, but they never won a 'big' game between them. Maybe Kern? Way before my time, I don't know exactly what he would bring to the table. And I won't need a playmaking QB when...

RB1 - Eddie George, aka the Prototpye. Exactly what I think is good in a RB, strength, size, speed. I'll take a guy who can bully his way to 3 yards rather than someone who has a chance to take it to the house every time. Just churn out them first downs!

RB2 - El Guapo. People talk about subs being a 'change of pace' kind of player...naw, forget that. I want that defense punished by possibly the second most imposing RB in OSU history.

WR1 - CC. Got to. He played before my time, but he caught the passes that you threw to him, no matter what. When I have a game manager QB, I want someone at WR who is a security blanket, someone who can make the catch even if he's blanketed or not the 1st option.

WR2 - This was the only position I had to think about. Ginn and Jenkins were obvious choices. I considered Sanzanbacher, Gonzalez, Hartline (you know, the smart and scrappy players). David Boston. Damn, being WR U is tough...but I think I have to go with Terry Glenn. We've had dynamic playmakers who were WRs, but I think Glenn is the most complete WR we've ever had. Ginn was fast, routes and hands were okay. Jenkins had great hands and size, but wasn't the type to take the top off the defense, etc. Glenn could do it all.

Someone call Jack Park, see what he thinks.

You don't consider Smith's 3 W's over meeeechegan or the '05 Fiesta Bowl 'big' games?

+1 HS

2005 Michigan was bad. 06 and 07 were top 20 teams. So, no. Krenzel also went 2-1 against better teams? Him earning the starting position the night or two before his sophomore year was more impressive than Troy's sophomore year against UM.

05 fiesta bowl was not a big game, we can't all bash ND then call them a big opponent, come on now! But the 06 and 07 NC games will always be remembered, Krenzel was 1-0 in NC games.

Like I said, I just want a QB that does the right thing and give the ball to the playmakers and not BE the playmaker.

BCS bowls games weren't a big deal? I don't recall ever bashing ND. I hate meeeechegan, not the Fighting Irish. Although both were great QB for Ohio State. If teams like WV wouldn't have chocked at the end of the season that '06 team wouldn't have played for it all. I know there was at least one other team that was upset that year but I can't remember which other team stumbled at the end of the season.

sox33osu's picture

WVU, Missouri lost on the final week which allowed us to jump up.

+1 HS

Thanks. Although for some reason I was thinking it was a 12 Pac team & not Mizzou.

sox33osu's picture

In 06 nobody choked, that was our unbeaten season. 07 was when we jumped up in the final week. USC won the Pac and were upset by Stanford and Oregon, but both were before November.

Really? My bad then. Got the two seasons mixed up.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Where is the love for David Boston?

He's another solid selection.

My earliest Buckeye memory is him sauntering in the the endzone during the 96 Rose Bowl...but I don't remember him. All I remember is that catch and being busted for PEDs in the NFL

+1 HS
Floyd Stahl's picture

And fighting Charles Woodson.

WayCraKen's picture

I have to duplicate Sox33. 

qb Pryor

rb Byars and George

wr. Carter and Galloway

i struggled with QB between Germaine Pryor Hoying and Miller. 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I've always been a fan of yours, cracken.

+1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

QB: Troy Smith (though it was tough not to pick Krenzel here just for the fact he brought home the championship)

RBs: Archie Griffin and Eddie George

WRs: Chris Carter and David Boston

"Because we couldn't go for three"

tosubuckeye's picture

QB: 1. Troy Smith; 2. Joe Germaine (Best pure passer in Buckeye history).

RB: 1. Eddie George; 2. Archie Griffin

WR: 1. Cris Carter; 2. David Boston

Honoralble mentions at each position:  QB: Braxton Miller;  RB: Keith Byers; WR: Terry Glenn

tosubuckeye

stubbzzz's picture

I'm gonna go with the Thunder and Lightning strategy…. 

QB = Troy Smith

RB1= Eddie George

RB2= Archie Griffin

WR1= David Boston (Chris Carter is the obvious choice, but I wanted someone physically dominating)

WR2= Ted Ginn Jr.

redfox's picture

QB-Troy Smith and Art Schlichter

RB-Keith Byars

WR-Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway

Bluke221's picture

I'll go with what I've seen in my lifetime (31 years old).

QB: Smith. Hands down the best quarterback OSU has had over the last three decades. Would be a school legend if they had beaten Florida in 2006.

RB: Eddie George. Another Heisman winner and arguably the second best OSU RB in history behind Archie (who is omitted from my list in this instance).

RB: Carlos Hyde. I thought of putting Beanie in here but I was always frustrated with his apparent fragility. Hyde is a man's man at RB, plowing through tacklers like a runaway train. Some could argue his stats were somewhat inflated due to the system he ran in his last two years but regardless of that I loved the way this kid ran the football.

WR: Joey Galloway. IMO the second best WR in OSU history behind Carter. He was a stud on teams filled with studs.

WR: Tedd Ginn Jr. Simply a difference maker. Wheels upon wheels. Every time he touched the ball there was an air of electricity in the stadium. Probably not the best pure technical WR but easily the most exciting.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

Groveport Heisman's picture

Head coach : Woody Hayes

Offensive coordinator: Urban Meyer

Defensive coordinator: Mark Dantonio

QB: T.Pryor

RB: Eddie,MoC

WR: David Boston,Ted Ginn jr.

Go ahead and start writing up the National titles a year in advance.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Damonbuckeye's picture

Qb Bobby Hoying while I like Troy BH was a beast.

2 RRb's. Maurice Clarett and Eddie George

2 WWr's. Terry Glenn and David Boston, Glenn because of his speed and Boston because of his toughness.

Maestro's picture

Kern

Griffin, Harley

Warfield, Boston

vacuuming sucks

+4 HS
Knarcisi's picture

+1 for first mention of Kern, Harley, and Warfield. 

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Chic Harley IS Ohio State football. Thank you for mentioning him so I didn't have to.

For anyone who has never read about Chic Harley, take the time to do so, please.

+1 HS

If an Ohio State fan has never heard of Harley then they are not true Buckeye fans.

+1 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

QB- Troy Smith

RB- Archie Griffin, Beanie Wells

WR- Michael Jenkins, Santonio Holmes. 

Buck Commander's picture

Steve Bellisari...........QB

Robert Smith.....RB

Carlos Snow.......RB

Mike Lanese.......WR

Amir Williams........C

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

You put Robert Smith when you meant Erik Haw.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

If CC is WR1 in most of the picks so far, I would have to side with those who chose Galloway over Glenn and Ginn for WR2.  The latter two were no doubt very good, but in seeing them all play in person, they couldn't hold a jock strap to Joey's electricness and consistency.

my picks:

QB: Kirk Herbstreit... j/k!!!  T. Smith

RB: Whoever we have had - throw a dart because when was the last bad one or mediocre one we had?

WR: CC (don't need David Boston if you have CC) + Joey Galloway

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

buckguyfan1's picture

Troy Smith      - Tippy Dye

Archie Griffin  Eddie George     -  Chic Harley

Cris Carter  Joey Galloway     -  Merle Wendt

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Joe Germaine

Archie

Eddie

Chris Carter

Terry Glenn

The Rill Dill's picture

A lot of you guys need to learn to spell names correctly.  It is totally disrespectful to spell them wrong---as well as lazy.  If you don't know how to spell it, look it up FIRST (before posting).  How the hell can a Buckeye fan NOT know how to spell Cris Carter or Keith Byars??  Damn.

+1 HS
sb97's picture

Troy versus Pryor is an interesting case.  Generally speaking, Troy was a much better QB during the regular season but Pryor's performances in the Rose and Sugar Bowls were amazing.

acBuckeye's picture

Braxton -- After this season, he will own every single OSU QB passing record of consequence and a 3-1 record against TTUN

Archie -- Wasn't around when he played, but this is obvious

Byars -- Should've won the Heisman, faster than Eddie and just as powerful; great blocker and pass-catcher

CC -- He caught everything

Boston -- Owns a ton of OSU receiving records

THEBEAROSU's picture

WELL MY CHOICE IS AS FOLLOWS   FOOTBALL WOODY STYLE.   REX KERN QB.    PETE JOHNSON AND ARCHIE  GRIFFIN RB.   PAUL WARFIELD  AND JOEY GALLOWAY..   PETE JOHNSON AND CARLOS HYDE WERE SIMILAR. PAUL WAR FIELD COULD PLAY IN THE RAIN AND MUD AND NOT MISS A STEP.  REX KERN WAS LIKE CRAIG KRENZEL. SMART, MADE PROPER THROWS AND COULD READ THE DEFENSE.  MY SECOND TEAM WOULD BE KRENZEL QB,     EDDIE GEORGE AND  CARLOS HYDE,  RB   MICHAEL JENKINS AND  CHRIS CARTER. WR. 

THEBEAROSU

-1 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

QB- Troy Smith.
RB- Eddie George and Beanie Wells (he was an electric player to watch.
WRs- Cris Carter, I've never seen a better blend of hands and speed. Also, Michael Jenkins. There would have never been an '02 national championship without his highlight reel. Truly fun player to watch.

CincyBucks's picture

Troy Smith

Eddie/ Archie 

without a doubt David Boston. Dude was a freak.  And Michael Jenkins 

CincyBucks