Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Cool Story about Tyler Green's Commitment

Katzfan's picture
June 11, 2014 at 8:02am
42 Comments

If you are like me and wonder what actually happens at these camps and how their schedules are handled, do yourself a favor and read the following link.  It'll also give you some insight as to why Coach Johnson is so well thought of by the young men that he recruits and coaches.  Very COOL!

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/06/how_a_recruit_earned_a_sc...

Dougger's picture

Ari and Doug always put together some cool things for the Bucks. Thanks for the link

I like football

MackHall400Series's picture

Gotta love a motivational story like that first thing in the morning.  Glad he was so motivated to achieve his dream and it's now a reality.  Sounds like we got a good player and a great person!

+2 HS
d1145fresh's picture

Very nice story. He sounds like a young man with a good family and a good head on his shoulders. It is also good to see Coach Johnson's ties to the East coast are still strong. That area is turning into very good recruiting grounds.

+3 HS
EwanJobi's picture

That was a great story. Was it just me or did anyone else feel a little bad for Green after reading this part.

Johnson tracks down Green and pulls him out of the drill. He brings him over and says, "We're not going to offer you because you're not good." Green interjected by saying, "I'm not done working for this." Johnson smiled and said, "But we're going to offer you because you're great."

Well played Coach Johnson. Well played.

+13 HS
Katzfan's picture

It actually brought a tear to my eye cause the kid wasn't taking "NO" for an answer... LOVED IT!

+13 HS
Crimson's picture

It isn't easy, but you really want to see Green's reaction to a statement like that.  Green's response shows that he'll work hard after a bad rep in practice or after getting beat in a game, and I'm sure the coaches need to see that before.  It reminds me of the first episode of The Unit.  I love his response, and with his skills and hard work, he could be one of our favorite players in a few years.

+3 HS
Katzfan's picture

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree... Very impressed by this kid's desire to become a Buckeye...Just the kind of kid we are looking for! I was hoping there were some 11W fans that hadn't seen the article yet.  Glad you guys enjoyed... GO BUCKS!

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Fantastic story.  Thanks for posting it.  

It only makes me cheer harder for this kid.

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
Katzfan's picture

Me too! What's really interesting to me is I wasn't aware of just how bad this kid wanted to be in Cbus... That was enlightening to me....

chitown buckeye's picture

Awesome read! Thanks for sharing!

"I'm having a heart attack!"

Buckeye Knight's picture

Great story.  Love this kid's heart!

buckeyestu's picture

Love having any player with this kind of devotion no matter where he is from.

TCOB_6's picture

Awesome story. I hope there are more kids being recruited by Ohio State that want to take this path and EARN their scholarship offer.

-1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

"It feels good to be a Buckeye." 

It's awesome when someone works hard for something they really want and achieves it. 

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

great time line. He still has a lot of learning to do but he has all the tools to be a stud. Especially love the defiance when someone says he is not good enough.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Gotta love that the kid has already bought in to the program.

I season my simple food with hunger

Hovenaut's picture

I think it's safe to say if they gave star ratings to gauge character, Tyler Green would be a blue chipper.

Great share, Katz.

Hate Week runneth over

+2 HS
Katzfan's picture

You bet Hove!  Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Danify's picture

One of the best details, which made Tyler Green my favorite recruit in this class is...

Green wakes up and heads over to the Woody Hayes Center for the camp. He's the first one to arrive at the camp and had to resort to stretching and focusing in the parking lot. 

Love the come first and leave last type of players. 

+4 HS
niblick's picture

danify you thunder stealin sumbitch, i was gonna post the exact same thing lol.

you give me the guy willing to show up first and i'll finish first in the end 99% of the time.

+2 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

I loved his response of "I'm not done working for this!"   This kid gets it. Congrats to him. 

+4 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Nice find.  Being from Maryland, what was it that made Tyler so attracted to the Buckeyes?  Regardless, glad to have him on board!

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Must have been our flashy uniforms.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He camped here last year and basically decided that it was the perfect place for him, and that he'd bust his ass to get an offer.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Katzfan's picture

And then he went out and DID it! Gotta love that!

BucksFan2000's picture

Cleveland.com needs more video ads, pop-ups and click bait.  I was almost able to read this story.

+5 HS
1MechEng's picture

I find it (as much, if not more) interesting that Coach Johnson is as emotional as he is. Big guy with a big heart apparently.

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I'll take as many Darren Lees and Tyler Greens on our team as we can get. 

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

The fact that he interrupted Coach Johnson and said "I am not done working for this yet" makes me real excited. This kid has a drive that could possibly be rivaled by none, and it was evident in that one sentence. Excited for him. Great read.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
trigg03's picture

I love to hear that a kids dream is to play football for THE OSU. That is what separates OSU from most of the other schools in the country.

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Great to hear this side of recruiting as we are so often left to hear only the negativity, "he said, she said" garbage, games and sideshows. Thanks for posting.

Silver Bullet 10's picture

I love it when recruits have Ohio State as their ultimate goal and not just an option. 

Groveport Heisman's picture

Great story. It is very refreshing to hear things of this nature. Kid has the measurables to be a hell of a Safety.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

hetuck's picture

This is refreshing. No Top Ten lists, no hats, etc. I realize that will go on and is part of the process, but the antithesis is good, too. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

Seattle Linga's picture

Now I am so ready to watch his development over the next few years. Nice article 

1stYrBuckIClub's picture

It's great to get to see this side of future Buckeyes and their families! Strange that before this week, I hadn't heard of Tyler Green, and now I'm going to be rooting hard for him. Seems like he exemplifies what we need in Buckeyes; hard work and perserverance make for a great team (sorta like another under-the-radar guy, Darron Lee). 

MN Buckeye's picture

Amazing that this kid dreamed of playing for OSU for 6 years! 

BassDropper's picture

For many years, I have always wondered what the allure of Larry Johnson was....this sentence tells me everything I need to know about the man.

"Coach Johnson starting crying," Green said. "It was such an emotional moment, everyone was so happy and everyone was hugging each other. It was the moment I have been working for the last six years as I dreamed about going to Ohio State." 

I would walk through hell to play for that man right now. Put me in coach.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Find it absolutely ridiculous someone dv'ed you for that comment. Got your back.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

I thought you were gone. Welcome back

I season my simple food with hunger

keep_it_down's picture

Speed, height, weight are very measurable but this is pretty good gauge of one of the most undervalued metrics...heart. He seems to have it!

Defending the boarder

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

This here shows that it doesnt matter where you look...theres kids eveywhere who dream of donning the scarlet and gray. Ohio kids dont have the market cornered on that dream. These are the kind of kids that every team needs. Guys who may not have the star rankings or wow factor as far as in the eyes of people who evaluate recruits. But they have something more important...desire and a dream. Ill take as many of these kind of guys the staff can find. Takes a little bit more to be a buckeye.