Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Favorite Coaches Across College Football

otrain2416's picture
June 4, 2014 at 12:00pm
36 Comments

Just curious other than Ohio State who everyone's favorite coaches are across college football. I'll do mine by the big conferences.

ACC- Frank Beamer- Virginia Tech

Big 12- Bill Snyder- Kansas State

Big Ten- Pat Fitzgerald- Northwestern

Pac-12- Chris Peterson- Washington/ David Shaw- Stanford

SEC- Hugh Freeze- Ole Miss

buckeyestu's picture

I only have one coach I like, and his name is Urban Meyer. I do not like any other active coaches.

-3 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

SEC: Bert Bielema

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

He is quite the stud

+6 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Hilarious, and very disturbing.

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

ACC- Randy Shannon

Big 12- Mack Brown

BigTen- Jim Tressel

Pac 12- Pete Carrol 

SEC- Bobby Petrino 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Thank you for your 2010 favorite coaches list.

Are you forgetting your sarcasm font on Carrol and Petrino?

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

ACC: Beamer or Swinney

SEC: Les Miles is a freaking badass.

Big 12: Kliff Kingsbury and Art Briles

B1G: Besides Urban, I love Dantonio and Andersen

PAC: Whittingham and Shaw

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

In the old "who'd you like to have a beer with" test, I'd have to go with Les Miles. 

+6 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

I don't know about that one.  He's a pretentious asshole.  I don't like drinking beer with people like that.

I'd have to go with Mike Leech.  I feel like he would drink 20 beers and then punch a horse in the face.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture
+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

For some reason, I get the feeling that hanging out with Les Miles would look something like this:

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Agreed.

Bobby Bowden too, if we count retired.  He's like the bourbon-soaked, Southern drawl-having grandfather I never had.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

He may be a Southern boy, but I like Spurrier. Just don't take your shirt off, coach!

+1 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

ACC: Beamer

Big 12: Snyder

B1G: Kill

Pac 12: Mike Leech

SEC: F*ck 'em all

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Snyder is well respected across the land - One of the few coaches that really understands his role. 

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I would have said Fitzgerald, but after his antics in last year's game I change my mind.

+8 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Jerry Kill is a real players coach

buckeyedude's picture

U just killed it, bro.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The lack of Kingsbury in this thread is disturbing. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

He's definitely solid and up there in my book. Bill Snyder is just such a class act though. 

DrSpaceman's picture

ACC: Beamer I guess.. never really had much of an opinion of any ACC coaches.
Big 12: Definitely Bill Snyder. Partly because he's a nice guy and partly because I think it's hilarious that he coaches games played in the stadium named after him.
Big 10: Gary Andersen, because he's such a step up from Bert.
Pac 12: LANE KIFFIN - I don't care if he's at Alabama I'll always remember him as the screwup that somehow ended up as head coach of one of the most storied programs in the nation.
SEC: Gus, because we all know he got his clothing style from Tressel...

"Medicine is not a science" - Leo Spaceman

TheBadOwl's picture

Gus, because we all know he got his clothing style from Tressel

Love the vest, but I think he was channeling Ditka, not Tressel.

+5 HS
DrSpaceman's picture

Should've picked up on that as a lifelong Bears fan! I'm hanging my head in shame.

"Medicine is not a science" - Leo Spaceman

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Guess I'm not needed here...

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+7 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Bo Pelini 

- Meow

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I'm 40.......... I'm a man!

+8 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Beat me to it Seattle,I'd like to see what kind of beer a grown 40 year old man orders.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That's easy Grove 

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

After any Bobby Knight gif/rant, this is my all time favorite gif. I never get tired of it, and every time I watch it, it brings a smile to my face. And, he looks and acts just like one of my best friends. Pure gold. If there was a Hall of Fame for College Football  gifs, this would surely make the top 5.

Danify's picture

I'm going with a top 5 (like the recruits do)...

1. Kliff Kingsbury (Young, Exciting plus, I must admit he was my favorite college QB while in high school (sorry Krenzel))

2. Jerry Kill (His attitude and golden I formation have won me over)

3. David Shaw (Love me some old-school power football, better yet in the words of Jesse Palmer, they play "Stanford Football")

4.) Rich Rod (For obvious reasons during his time at Michigan, he made Ohio State looks so good)

5.) Chris Petersen (If we weren't able to get Urban Meyer, he would have been the choice I would've wanted, plus his trick and unique plays are enjoyable to watch.)

Honorable Mention: Les Miles (The guy is hilarious, don't know why, but everytime he has post-game interview I'm tuned in)

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Correct about Petersen - he is really well liked out here in the PNW and he knows the right medicine to beat Oregon. 

HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Does it have to be D1? Larry Kehres from Mount Union. Even though he retired, he still won 55 straight games.

+2 HS
seafus26's picture

Big Ten- none beside Urban are to exciting.  The rest of the conference has not gotten too aggresive and knocked it out of the park or opened their wallets the way we have.  If I had to pick, I can't say I like him but I respect Dantonio.

Big 12- I don't agree with many on here about Snyder.  I met him once and had a great conversation about his attention to detail for special teams. However, I don't like how he builds his teams on JUCO transfers and takes advantage of a state admissions that after one semester at a Kansas college (any level) you are admittable to their state universities.  Allows for the not so studius Student-athletes to contribute until they fail out and then recycle another in. Art Briles is my choice here.

ACC- I don't have many dislikes here but no likes either.  Id have to say Georgia Tech's coach Paul Johnson. He does compete with student athletes.

SEC- I can't stand any of them, but if I had to pick, I'd pick the guy I was hollaring about getting as our OC back when he was running the Wild Hog at Arkansas and to can Jim Bollman. Gus Malzahn

Pac12- I'd take David Shaw in a heart beat.  I met him before, too and was a great guy.  He was suprisingly very soft spoken but was pleasantly one coach that the conversation or everything didn't have to be about him.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
CC's picture

Franklin, Leech, Peterson, Edsall, Strong, Spurrier

+1 HS