Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Power Conferences creating Div.4 Football?

BlockO's picture
May 31, 2014 at 9:40am
11 Comments
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I say why not?  Nobody outside of the power 5  really has a shot anyhow...playoff schmayoff, it's still going to be teams where the tie breaker is money/markets...which is exactly why they won't set criteria and let us in on the selection. Might as well trim the fat. We could still schedule a cupcake or two from another division but most teams look to be circling the wagons and scheduling more power conference matchups. The "mid majors" are going to get pushed aside anyhow. Count me for a vote of "why not."

+1 HS
lamplighter's picture

Personally, I think it is a bad idea- rich gettng richer- driving up studen tuition and costs, opening the door for more bagmen, etc.  While there are some things that they could and should do, this ain't one of them.

Besides, it's coming out of the SEC and it must be something that they think will give them a more competitive advantage.  I have no  illusions about their bottom line

+4 HS
Northbrook's picture

Cornwell likes your name.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Pending the legal matters the NCAA may be preoccupied with I think its a good idea the big boys be proactive. Without being an a$$ about it (see: Slive, Mike).

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

What is happening to college althletics? How did it get to this point?

I season my simple food with hunger

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Greed ...........Arrogance..........Egomaniacs ---------- the list continues

+3 HS
jBarnes's picture

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”  ― Douglas Adams

BlockO's picture

I like the idea because it allows for new rules to be made. I believe the premier bowls would follow and the new playoff would be better as well. As far as the archaic rules that have hurt college football regarding athletes in the past, they would be eliminated.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

-2 HS
SGTREDLEG's picture

I do not like the idea.  Developing a Semi-Pro / NFL Developmental League within college athletics.  Not convinced the academics would remain a priority that the players who don't make it to the NFL will certainly lose.  Just my view.  I also believe the NCAA should strip down the rules a make them simple.  What you can do/cant do.  1 strike=certain penalty. 2 strikes=?  not so many bylaws.  KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid.

SGTREDLEG

+2 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

At this point, I really don't care what they do. As long as firm rules are made and enforced equally, which hasn't been the case in years.

+2 HS