Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

LOL.  I very much think Michael Bennett is underrated... but to consider/call him a Top 5 pick in next year's draft is simply laughable.

You know a QB will go in the Top 5.  You can probably count on an OT and a DE to go in the top 5.  So that leaves 2 of the remaining Top 5 picks 'available'... and I'm not even sure Bennett is the best DT in the country, let alone a top 5 pick.

2014 saw 1 DE, 1 OT, 1 QB, 1 WR and 1 LB go in the Top 5.

2013 saw 3 OTs and 2 DEs go in the Top 5.

2012 saw 2 QBs, 1 RB (stupid Browns), 1 OT, and 1 WR go in the Top 5.

2011 saw 1 QB, 1 LB, 1 DE, 1 WR, and 1 CB go in the Top 5.

I would be very surprised to see a DT go in the Top 5... you just don't see it that often.

-3 HS
Belliott's picture

Interesting that you stopped there because 2010 had 2 DTs in the top 3 and 3 in the top 10. It's all about prospects. If there are DTs better at manufacturing pressure than any of the DEs then they will go quick. But the pure run stuffers aren't going top 5, that you can say with pretty high confidence. 

route4buckeye's picture

Bleacher Report. That is all. Bet it was a sick slideshow, though.

+6 HS
BassDropper's picture

Matt Miller is one of the best in the business. Just a matter of time (or when his contract is up) until he is with one of the big networks.

DIRECTIONER

+5 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I agree. He is pretty dang good and honest with his work.

+9 HS
BassDropper's picture

^^^^ No idea how your post has -2 DVs 

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
labuck's picture

Probably bc he agreed with you.

+9 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Guilty by association

+6 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Aaron Donald went top 13 i believe. That's at  6-0. The only knock on Donald was his height. If he would have had Bennett's height, he would have been top 10. I dont know if Bennett will go top 5, but top 10 isnt out of the question if he has a big year and stays healthy. Bennett is extremely explosive, strong, lean, muscular and has all the intangibles. I cant wait to see what Coach Johnson does with him.

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

I've seen Bennett in many other mock drafts in top 10 as well.  I've seen drafts with Noah, Bennett pretty sad that could have 5 future first rounders on last years D and be so bad.

+1 HS
irishfury's picture

Well Imagine.

Shazier, Roby, J.Bosa, Bennet, Spense all could have a chance to be first rounders.  Just wild.  

Washington could as well with a big year.

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

Evidence that scheme and coaching matter a lot.  Defensive players get drafted on athleticism more than anything else, but if the coaches can't get them in the right spots it doesn't matter what kind of athletes you have out there.

kareemabduljacobb's picture

McShay has Bennett going as the last pick in the 1st round with his first edition of '15 mock draft. 

On a side note, FSU is going to be loaded as he projects them (as well as other sites I've seen) with having 6 first rounders on their team next season.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

The starting d line this season will consist of 4 guys with first round potential. And after watching some of the younger guys in the spring game, they may have to pencil in a 3 deep instead of 2. Because I saw a lot of younger guys hungry to get snaps.

And unlike last year, when we felt the secondary woukd be the strength, I really dont see a chink in the armor. Meaning I dont see one guy that, if injured, drops the level of play up front like losing bryant did to the secondary. I know it means nothing until games start, but what ive seen is more thann promising.

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

To be honest, I don't see the Bennett in the top 5 or top 15 hype. When I think of a player being selected that high, I think of an overall game changer. He has the great ability for his size, he runs well and pass rushes very well for a defensive tackle, but he lacks power in my opinion. He is great in the pass game and demands multiple blockers, but his ability to disrupt the run doesn't say "top 5 defensive tackle" to me. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Bennett is getting better everyday - just wait until we see how good he'll be at the end of the season.