Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Horrible "D" in 2013 and Roby and Shazier 1st Rounds picks?????

jonping67's picture
May 9, 2014 at 9:10am
20 Comments

Our 2013 defense had........

One of the best defensive lines, 2nd best linebacker and a top 5 corner in the country and our defense ranked 47 nationally? Withers was a BIG problem and I hope Ash can get it fixed.

AngryWoody's picture

I do agree but...

Our Honor Defend!

+19 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The best thing about your post is that it refers to that defense in the past tense.

I think this unit makes big strides forward this year.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

cdub4's picture

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

+1 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

Yes - and this goes for any given play.  Too often, just one or two guys missed an assignment on a play and this defense got burnt because of it.  All the talent in the world cannot make up for missed assignments, blown coverages, etc.  Step 1 is to simplify the D to a point guys know it as well as their own name.  Sounds like Ash is heading in that direction.

BuckeyeJ's picture

Agreed on both

and have to throw in y in the world we had soooo many redshirts!?!? Who makes that call? Would Mitchell still be here if he would have played??

Byaaaahhh's picture

Can't really say if he'd be here or not, but if he were, that would mean that he would be away from his ailing father.

USMC11917's picture

True enough. I find it strange that Mickey is still commited though.

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

There's always a lot of redshirts.  They obviously felt that if they couldn't compete for starting jobs, better to have them sit.

BoFuquel's picture

Always remember UM said his best players last season were not hard workers. I did not say that UM did. We will see going forward if the players buy what he is selling? GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Unfortunately our other two LB's were very average and the rest of our secondary was horrible(esp after Bryant went down). The defense consists of 11 players....if 6 are outstanding and 5 are very bad something has to give.

-1 HS
niblick's picture

god himself couldn't make up for how bad our pass defense was.  We could have had Deion Sanders back there and it wouldn't have helped.

-1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

actually, having Deion would have helped.  How could having Deion not?

+1 HS
danbrown7665's picture

Roby was awful.

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

-3 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

Roby played safe for the NFL.

I think he knew Wither's didn't have a clue and the defense became frustrated and disgruntled with the scheme.

That's no excuse, he was a disappointing player this past year. Questionable integrity issues. You know the type that's always hurt til his contract year is coming up, then turns into a world beater.

"The Past Builds the Future"

rdubs's picture

This is a pretty contradictory statement.  This year was his contract year.  Assuming he has top 10 talent, he cost himself millions by coming back and "playing it safe" instead of going pro after last year.

+1 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

You make a good point there.

I can't remember why he came back to play so lousy. I guess the NFL will be his judge and jury now.

Was really disappointed he bailed on the orange bowl. Wish the Best. Ounce a Buckeye...

"The Past Builds the Future"

alust2013's picture

The draft analyzes players as individuals and how they play and fit into a given team's system or what a team thinks they could do with them. Buffalo wasn't a particularly great team, and they had a decent, but not great defense. That doesn't make Khalil Mack any less of a player. Without a cohesive scheme, even all the talent on the OSU defense last year didn't amount to a good product. Shazier was still a wrecking ball, and Roby had at least a serviceable season, and the scouts know how good he is from last year.

...and Michigan still sucks.

GoBucksOSU's picture

Does this count as another Fire Fickell thread?

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I was just amazed that it took this long for someone to mention him.  Maybe we have finally turned the page.

Italics are for emphasis.

Buckeye Knight's picture

Playing db looks tough, especially when you are a corner playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage.