Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Level of Confidence?

The Thrill is Gone's picture
May 8, 2014 at 5:28pm
20 Comments

I asked a friend a few weeks ago his level of confidence that the Buckeyes would win a Nat'l Championship under UFM. "OF COURSE," he said, as though I were some kind of lunatic.

But seriously...we weren't the best team in a bad conference last year and this year we lost almost our entire OL and our best defensive player (on a bad unit, no less). And next year, new QB.

So...1 to 10...level of confidence among the faithful that Meyer knows what he's doing and has championship fire in him at this point? Mine's low, I'm sorry to say. I'll give it a 3.

What say you?

FROMTHE18's picture

this again…it'll be between 6-10 for me. I think, if we can make strides defensively this year, we can compete for a national title, but Ive thought, even back in 2012, that 2015 would be Urbans best shot at a title. He will have experience all over the field, the only issue will be QB which can be a big problem if there is no development from the back up guys this year. Ill throw out a 7. I expect a lot more wins, and I want a B1G title before I really start thinking about a national title in great detail. It'll be very difficult for him to go unbeaten again at OSU and a 1 loss OSU team is likely to be left out of the college football playoff, so thats where my doubts lay, in the fact it'll just be hard to go unbeaten. 

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I disagree. A one loss OSU team that wins the big ten will never be left out of a four team playoff. 

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

You are optimistic.  I like it. 

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I definitely think we'll win one at some point. This upcoming year is a big question mark for me. Our defense will be A LOT better, but I don't think we'll score as many points. Offensively my big question marks are the offensive line and can Braxton stay healthy and consistent for an entire year. If those things come together we'll be making a run.

-1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Before 2017, I think this is the year it'll need to get done—and it could happen. I'm expecting next year to be a little more of a hiccup as it relates to Meyer at OSU thus far (not a struggle, but I'm doubting we'll see an undefeated regular season).

jonping67's picture

Our offense may struggle next year, but our defense will be in the top 5 and maybe even top 3 in the nation. Defenses win titles, so I am not concerned.

Byaaaahhh's picture

One of the best head coaches in the country. Some of the top recruiting classes in the past two years and expert recruiters continuing to plant flags (yes I think we will have a great class this year, and even if we don't, it's alright, we'll bounce back). Recently set the longest win streak in school history. One of the fastest teams we've had in years, some of the most dynamic skill players we've had in years, an unstoppable force on the defensive line, and a young, hungry linebacking corps.

Yes, I believe we will win a national championship under Urban Meyer. Much of our potential has yet to be realized. Sadly, it is still merely potential, but it can't stay like that forever. For the foreseeable future, I see no signs that Penn State will ever "dominate the conference" as long as UFM's around.

-1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

8.5, just because it's not easy to do, and a lot of things have to go right, just to get there, especially now with the playoff and an added "Big" game, that UFM hasn't proved he can win yet with tOSU.  2-0 against a struggling UM team is nice, but it's not the same as beating a UM team from the 90's or early 00's.  

InvertMyVeer's picture

We were a couple plays away from playing for the crystal with the worst defense I've ever seen at Ohio State a year after being a bowl ban away from beating the snot out of Notre Dame in the national championship. We are and will continue to be contenders under UFM.

Football is complicated...

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Salisbury sweater? The way I chase cheddar?

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Hovenaut's picture

While I wasn't alive yet when the '68 squad won their NC, I grew up listening to all the stories of that great team (as well as all things Buckeye football).

I waited nearly three decades to see Coach Tressel and that 2002 team raise Ohio State back to glory.

I'll give UFM a strong 8. Winning the NC is damn difficult, but he's passionate, experienced and a son of Ohio.

Why not Ohio State? Go Buckeyes.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

The Thrill is Gone's picture

No troll here, just skeptical. For all the swagger and tough talk we really haven't seen much that tells me Meyer's the same guy he was at Florida. I sincerely believe Mich St's for real, for the long haul and we lose Miller next year. This is the best shot we're likely to have for at least a few years and this is a team that was a goal line INT from losing 3 straight to end last year. "Last year is last year." True, but in the games that have mattered most here, Urban's 1-2...barely.

-2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Wrong. In the games that matter most, he's 2-0. 

Tampabuckeye85's picture

I would say that I am at about a 7. Looking at all things how they stand, I don't think Mich. St will be the team they were last year. Just because Penn. St. Has a great class going right now how many are going to come in and play right now? For those that do play how much of an impact are they really going to have? They lost their top receiver which was the only one doing anything and his production is going to be hard for someone to step up and replace that. Yes, technically sparty and Clemson beat us but really we beat ourselves. Few bad play calls away from winning both games we lost and had they been right the second one might not have happend, at least not to Clemson. Our offense gave us every chance for the most part to go all the way to the top. Beside el guapo everyone everyone we have on that side of the ball that we will have are better than the ones they are replacing and Eze could end up a beast as well. My opinion is the increase in weapons we will have on the field will make up for the drop off from the o line until they gel. Might have less rushing yards at first but passing should increase. As for def. it's almost impossible to replace RDS but I would think 2 good lbs = 1 RDS. For the back end looks like they are going to be better. All that equals similar off. production and better def. Which should mean champion's this year as long as Braxton stays 90% healthy.

Buckeye06's picture

I'm probably at around a 7. I know Meyer can get it done when he has the talent, and OSU has the talent.  The problem I see is that we haven't had a group come up together on O and D to where both units are good at the same time.  When do we think that will sync up?  Not in 2014 likely unless the D takes a step from 110th against the pass to top 40 or so, then no Brax in 2015.  I would say 2016 would be our year, but that's so hard to predict. 

logamaniac's picture

What would anyones level of confidence of a title have been before or after the 2011 season?