Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Athlon Sports Ranks the Top 25 College Football Dynasties of the AP Era

Posterchild's picture
May 5, 2014 at 3:04pm
5 Comments

And our beloved Buckeyes make the list twice, 19th and 22nd 

19. Ohio State Buckeyes (2002-10): 99-17

Jim Tressell returned Ohio State to the pinnacle of college football with an unbeaten 2002 team. He then won six more Big Ten titles and produced a Heisman Trophy winner (Troy Smith) over the next seven years while playing in two more BCS title games. - 

See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-footballs-top-25-dynasties-ap-era#sthash...

22. Ohio State Buckeyes (1954-70): 118-34-5
Woody Hayes had two five-loss seasons during this span but few coaches can claim five national championships in any amount of time, much less 17 seasons. -

See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-footballs-top-25-dynasties-ap-era#sthash...

RedStorm45's picture

Woody's dynasty should be way ahead of Tressel's teams.  It's not even close.

I have an issue with the Tressel era being on the list at all - the "dynasty" listed occurred at the same time as no less than six other "dynasties" (Alabama, Miami, USC, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas).  I think we're throwing the word around a little loosely, at least according to that list.  Then again, if we're going be the true word of "dynasty," there probably aren't 25 of them in the AP era.

+3 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

oh man, Athlon ... spelling Tressel incorrectly

buncha freakin amateurs

-2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Not really understanding how they lump together Woody's first 17 years - the '68 - '70 squads deserve a top ten ranking imho (27-2, two recognized national championships).

His '73, '74 and '75 teams were pretty damn good as well, I understand they didn't win a title, but still.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Still pissed that Cooper's '93-'98 teams came away with no national titles (and pretty sure only 1 outright B1G title)...can you imagine if Tressel had all that talent?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

jamesrbrown322's picture

That OU dynasty in the 40s-50s had quite literally the best players that money could buy. No one really talks about that all.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill