Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Torrance Gibson's Recruitment is Like NASCAR...

jamesrbrown322's picture
April 30, 2014 at 8:32pm
50 Comments

...you really only need to watch the last 5% of the race, because that's all that matters.

Kid is relishing the attention, and I cannot blame him. What if you had this many adults fawning over you, and begging you to follow and re-tweet them?

This tweet I found quite entertaining - (yes, I checked his Twitter, because, well, it's HILARIOUS!)

Didn't he just have "big news" a few weeks ago? Also, apparently the list will be "in order," so whatever significance that is for a kid who has yet to visit OSU and is only 17 years old.

I just it pretty funny. He also tweeted this - 

And the reactions to it are pretty amusing. To be clear, I understand Tweeting a kid if you're around the same age, or it is your job to update and follow his recruitment. Otherwise, I find it quite funny. 

m5987usus's picture

If we land him, awesome, if we don't, awesome. We will be fine either way with the way urban recruits.

O-H!

+7 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

maybe it means something maybe it doesn't. Either way OSU is always on his mind. Let's go TG

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
Wesleyburgess1's picture

Id rather have Wimbush any day but from what I can tell from listeniing to his interviews it seems he is all Penn State. Seems like he is just trying to make sure thats where he wants to go. IDK, sick of the suspense though. Ive been following recruiting since the day Urban was hired and im kinda learning that following it between Feb-Oct is kinda stupid. Youll get kids commit then decommit within a week. I could especially care less about the drama queens tweets during may. Not saying anything bad about the poster just my opinion on the matter.

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

If you could in fact care less, I reccomend you do so. Unless you actually meant you couldn't care less, in which case I agree. 

+16 HS
jkrk's picture

Upvote for correcting misuse of an idiom without getting downvoted by everyone. How you do that?

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I've taken my share of downvotes. I learned how to walk the fine line, occasionally anyway. 

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Yea it is what it is unfortunately. I'm 50/50 on a early signing period for football. But wouldn't that take away from this great thing we call recruting. Lol. I like Stevens a lot, the kid is going to be a baller.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

At this point TG is in the same category as Clark for me. I'd love to have both, but for now i'm done with news on them until they sign with Ohio State.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

His recruitment is like Nascar? You mean there's a bunch of redneck white guys running circles around him over and over again in such a way that's so damn boring it numbs the mind?

+12 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Must be why Tennessee fans are swarming his twitter page.

LEBRON

+12 HS
daytonbuckeye's picture

Do you know what Nascar stands for?

Non

Athletic

Sport 

Centered 

Around 

Rednecks

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I'll bet anything OSU is #1 on his list next week.

+2 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

He needs to visit first... A commit without a visit is such a rarity,especially for such a highly ranked recruit.  If we are in the top 3 it's a good sign.  Has Wimbush visited either?

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

Crimson's picture

Yes, and hopefully coming back.  Penn St is trying to get him to commit before returning.

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

As they should... If Franklin is even coaching still... (Sort of serious?)

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

Knarcisi's picture

That's a nice Block O shirt. 

Danify's picture

At first, it can seem funny to see all those desperation and weird 30+ male and female people kissing butt over 17 year olds. However, after an awhile it gets right down distributing. I know some people would consider us weird as well for reading consistently on updates, but at least we know it isn't the end of the world, if these guys don't sign with OSU, as we will have top 5 classes year in and out. However, some of these "fans" spend hours on twitter (almost stalkingly) commenting at recruits, which is quite odd ... (Dylan Sparks is the leader in this example)

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I think much of our desperation just comes from a lack of positive news regarding OSU recruiting in an ear of 24 hour news cycles. I mean, would we be talking about it as much if OSU had accepted commitments from  maybe 2-3 recruits in March and another 2-3 in April? No, we'd probably be talking about how stoked we are about the likely new additions. I know I would!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

FROMTHE18's picture

that T shirt is crisp and awesome, need to get me one.

Braxton2Devin's picture

Top 15....? Really!?!

+2 HS
DenBuck's picture

I've decided to skip reading much of current recruiting news because it means ZERO right now, Top 10 or 15 schools, whatever. The media has set such a grand stage for this crap and we lop it up. Give me the Conrads and Connors who are dying to come to OHIO STATE.

Buckeye For Life

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

I am pretty sure he is just trolling people with that "top 10-15" tweet.

buckeyebobcat

FROMTHE18's picture

dude needs to get on campus and it'll be over with.

hobochops987's picture

I don't think I can go on twitter on Tuesdays and Thursday.  For Tennesse that's Torrance Tuesday and Torrance Thursday and my freaking screen gets bombarded with tweets.

Trust in UFM

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

A few reasons why I think Gibson is just messing with people and I think he already has made up his mind, he is saying all the trollish statements a recruit could make to get the masses stirring. He is just being too good at it for it to be real. I doubt his ego is that ridiculous. He is already recruiting behind the scenes because we see him talking with others on twitter, which I'm certain he talks too in private as well.

I'm not saying he is definitely going anywhere but to me it sounds like he knows exactly where he wants to go and is bringing players with him. So he is leading, just not out in the open.

The only thing that gives me the idea it could be OSU is that he is talking to a lot of OSU targets that aren't all targets of other programs (most, but I don't see Tennessee for all of Harris, Burrell and others) and........Urban got to him early. It could be a mutual agreement that Gibson is coming to OSU, is recruiting for OSU but will still get all the attention he wants by not making it public. I mean the kid does have an ego, I just don't think his ego is that huge to be such a troll on everyone!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+3 HS
Barnsey69's picture

Who is that chic, and what movie is that?

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

tennbuckeye19's picture

Alison Brie. The clip is from the show Community. She was also on Mad Men.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I'd love to know the amount of times Alison Brie has been Googled immediately after a visit to 11W...

+4 HS
Barnsey69's picture

Yeah, I can only confirm one, but man how did I miss this one?? I need to watch more TV!

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I looooooooove me some Alison Brie! Maybe more than J-Law (oh the humanity!!)

+1 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

1)  This is why I want Wimbush on board.

2)  Didn't he just release a top 3 of OSU, Auburn, and UT a few weeks back?  Now he's releasing a top 10-15.

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Top 3 ≠ Final 3

I'm assuming this is more or less a final 10 schools.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

Tomorrow I will be releasing my TOP 63 schools, I will be releasing them IN particular order. Stay tuned!

SMH

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Uncle 9er will be then announcing your list 3 hours after you do.

+4 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

I'd really like to see TG come in and get a red-shirt. We would have a year of Cardale and a year of JT, or just two years of JT. And then we could bring Gibson along as our franchise QB starting his sophomore year.

That isn't going to happen though. Thanks Jameis, you ruined everything.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Isn't Jameis a red-shirt freshman? How does that ruin anything?

GVerrilli92's picture

True. 

I was just referring to first year starters winning the heisman, but you're right that the argument kinda folds on itself because he's a redshirt.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

That's when you know that corporate sponsorship has gone too far (not that it isn't hilarious).

On a side note, though, if you believe that there is actually a God that hears you when you pray, and that he has the power to do that which you ask of him...  maybe you should pray in such a way that is somewhat reverent and wouldn't make him angry.  Otherwise, why bother with the prayer?  Just a thought.  

tennbuckeye19's picture

You don't think God has a sense of humor?

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Of course He does, just look at the duckbill platypus!

+1 HS
lsjSnail's picture

or my nipples. Creepy video.

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

TG wants to play for Meyer, that's my take. But the closest thing I have to a crystal ball is an old fishbowl in my garage full of old golf balls.

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

you do have to find it funny when a player comes out with news they will be cutting their list down to double digit schools...

niblick's picture

I've never wanted a kid to NOT sign with us in my entire life as bad I do with this kid.  Pile the down votes on me all ya want, I don't care.  This kid is going to make TP look drama free.

-2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture
+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Just my opinion but I think he fell in love with Tennessee on his visit and with all the crazed fans following him on Twitter it just seems like there is a big gap between Tennessee and the field. The way I look at it is the wife or main chick is Tennessee and Ohio State is the mistress or side chick. He flaunts all this Tennessee stuff nonstop on social media, shows them off and every now and then he throws a bone to Ohio State just to keep their attention and to keep the fans or "followers" around. 

Too bad Ohio State is better looking than that bitch Tennessee.

Gimme Wimbush and this kid Dwayne Lawson and call it a day. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

2 things:

1)  My wife and I had some friends over for dinner last night.  They're both UT grads.  He is convinced that Gibson is UT bound.  When I told him I thought Gibson was headed to OSU, you should've seen the look on his face.

2)  Gibson is a WR at the next level.  A program will give him a shot at QB to start with, but he's bound for WR.