Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Who is going to surprise us with their performance this year?

otrain2416's picture
April 29, 2014 at 2:51pm
41 Comments

Last year I feel like Guiton and Bosa were our surprise players who had break out seasons. This year I'm going to say offensively Corey Smith and Zeke while on defense going with Vonn Bell and Josh Perry.  What do you guys think? 

m5987usus's picture

Curtis Samuel.  He was explosive in the Spring and I really think he might be too good to keep off the field sometimes.

O-H!

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Rod Smith, Jeff Greene, and Gareon Conley. 

+3 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Samuel and Burrows.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

WhySoSerious's picture

Samuel for the newbies. M. Thomas for the old heads. Defensively Kwon and Worley. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

Earle's picture

I could tell you, but then it wouldn't be a surprise now, would it?

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

Jalin Marshall gets my vote, if he comes back ready to work it will be fun to watch. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+5 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

More excited and hopeful for his success than any of the other 2013 recruits.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Rod Smith. There's no way I can be wrong 3 years in a row. DX

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+10 HS
johnny11's picture

LMAO. I know man I know. This has to be the year Rod finally does it.

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

The output of others depends on the confidence and growth of Braxton. If Brax improves his reads, short passes and ball distribution skills we have players like Zeke, Wilson, Samual, the Smiths, Thomas and even Spencer who can have stat stuffing years. The player I am most excited for is Heureman. He and Brax developed a nice rapport late last season. If Brax doesn't grow, I think our offense will be limited to 2-3 playmakers or something similar to last season - Brax, Zeke and a player to be named later.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Corey Smith, Tyquan Lewis, Kyle Berger, Armani Reeves.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

TheBadOwl's picture

Oops, double post.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

Sean Neurnberger! He will be the starting kicker and he will hit a 55 yarder, possibly a game winner!

can I just pick the defense in general. That would be a surprise!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Johnnie Dixon, Pat Elflien, EzE

Perry, Apple, Bell

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Defense - Curtis Grant will finally fulfill his promise and McMillan starts by the end of the season

Offense - Dontre Wilson breaks out with 700, 400, 10 TD type performance, and Braxton Miller is even better than we thought, winning the Heisman.

Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Killer nuts's picture

How does Curtis Grant fulfill his promise and still lose his job to McMillan?

+5 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Rotation, I think. Remember, I said I could dream right?

More realistically, I'd say the Josh Perry ends up playing really well, McMillan starts, and Grant still makes an impact.

1MechEng's picture

Fearless - way to early prediction: Eli Apple. An Injury opens the door for him to join the starting lineup and he excels by year end.

+1 HS
MikeNugents BigToe's picture

I feel like a lot of the names mentioned earlier in this thread are more players with "high expectations/potential upside", but not actual "surprises" . With that said, somebody like Warren Ball becoming the starting running back, now that would be a surprise. 

"Remember that 55 yarder against Marshall?" -Not Mike Nugent

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

I believe Lee and Worley are going to be very good. And the great thing is it just shows how strong 2013 class was they were on the lower side for the star gazers....

Gooz-fra-bah...

ohst8buxCP's picture

Offense: EzE, Samuel & M.Thomas

Defense: Bell, Conley, Worley

If you mean someone completely being overlooked i'm going with James Clark.

teddyballgame's picture

Hopefully Devin Smith

IH8UOFM's picture

Just have this feeling that a Dontre Wilson that is a little more in-tune with the playbook, will be a superstar

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I don't think that would surprise anyone here.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

Braxton. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Dread's picture

I see Doran Grant having a break out year. He quietly out performed Roby last year, and did you see him smoke Dontre in the race off. He is a big physical corner with speed. I can't wait to see how he performs in this new look secondary.

Dread's picture

Oh, and my sleeper is Rashad Fraizeir. He looked good in the spring game. He had to sit out last year due to transfer rules. That probably helped him gain strength and hone his craft. 

Judging from the spring game alone, it looked like he should be the guy to replace Spence the first 2 games. 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The secondary.

Gimme back my (silver) bullets.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

I think Jalin, Cam and Clark will surprise. Not because they'll over achieve or there are low expectations, but because I think a lot of people kinda forgot about em due to em being sandwiched between the monster stacked incoming class and Dontre, Von, Bosa and Bell's PT/ high profiles last year. We saw Worley and Lee from that class blossom this Spring. I'm guess those three blossom this fall ...

Soooooooo many toysssssss ....

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

+1 HS
Buckeye4life23's picture

Jalin Marshall and James Clark are the two guys on offense who in my opinion could surprise this year.  On defense I think Eli Apple is going to be a force, not sure if he really counts as a surprise performer though.

Muck Fichigan that is all.

WesPatterson23's picture

Dontre Wilson (Although I wouldn't call him a surprise), Jalin Marshall, Brionte Dunn, Chris Worley, Darron Lee, and Donovan Munger

Seattle Linga's picture

Samuel and Berger - So excited to watch them unfold 

tussey's picture

Marcus Baugh - I said it on the black stripe guessing game last season.  Dog house to Penthouse 

Osurrt's picture

Freshman: Kwon , Samuel and Dixon

Offense: Meechy, Elliott and Thomas

Defense: Bell, Lee, Apple

James Mee's picture

I would really like to see Eli Apple step up and be a big contributor. I think he has a huge amount of talent and could be a great defensive asset. I'd also like to Spencer improve his hands, since he's a great blocker and Michael Thomas become a big contributor. And Jeff Greene be the greatest kick blocker ever. 

JDunc686's picture

Trey Johnson, super hyped coming in, an afterthought this spring, to MAJOR contributor by the time conference games get going.

Buckeye Knight's picture

From the sound of it, Darron Lee would really surprise me if he started this fall.

I already expect big things from Curtis Samuel.

KBonay's picture

Man, I know it's a football question.  But I am going out on a HUGE limb and saying Amir Williams.  I think with the transfers coming in, Thad has made a statement.  It's your time big fella.  Dig deep and prove us doubters wrong.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

And make us few supporters look a little less stupid. 

+1 HS