Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Coombs says some stuff

AngryWoody's picture
April 23, 2014 at 11:50am
53 Comments

Sounds like Coombs had some issues with Withers:

“The style of play we’re playing is different … one of the things I told coach Meyer about when he (Withers) left is we need to start meeting together, we need to start spending more time together as a cohesive unit,” Coombs said of the cornerbacks and safeties spending more time together. “So Chris and I are able to do that and spend time together and that’s worked out really well. He’s got good energy, he’s got good passion … We’re playing a style of defense that is very appealing to me as corners coach and a lot of stuff that I believe in, so I’m very excited about that.”

To me, Coombs is basically saying "Withers didn't work and communicate with me and I didn't agree with how he schemed the defense". Not really a glowing review of his old co-worker. We've all heard these sort of things thrown around here and there from people around the program, but to hear it out of a coaches mouth backs up a lot of the speculation. Am I reading too much into this?

Also I liked this comment on Ash:

“I like him, I call him the mini coach Coombs,” junior cornerback Armani Reeves said April 3. “He’s like a younger coach Coombs, he still has all the energy. I love it. I’m happy he’s here enjoying it and hopefully he stays for a really long time.”

http://thelantern.com/2014/04/chris-ash-kerry-coombs-luke-fickell-formin...

MacG91's picture

Yeah I don't blame Coombs for being frustrated. Heck, it drove me crazy watching the corners play 8 yards off the receiver every play especially when Gallon and Watkins were just running screens. Can't wait to see this new in your face defense this year! 

Mac..yeah

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I think it was maybe more than just playing off the receivers. I think the corners played so passively and didn't trigger quickly enough on screens because the safeties were always out of position and didn't communicate well enough.

Most of the huge plays against us were on blown coverages by the safeties, who were out of position. The corners honestly didn't even play that poorly this year. I think the defensive problems were mostly on the safeties.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Yeah that is true. Losing Bryant was a huge blow. I love Pitt Brown for trying and sticking around for 4 years but the man was in over his head at times. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
jedkat's picture

you mean the ball was over his head?

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Pitt Brown will unfortunately get the Bauserman treatment around here. His play was excruciating to watch, but the man is still a Buckeye, and was here for five years.

With that said, I'm extremely excited to watch the safeties this year.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

you're absolutely not reading too much into it.  sounds to me like the cornerbacks and safeties weren't meeting together, and boy was it obvious on the field.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+3 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I still had faith in Coombs. He is more than just a cheerleader damnit!

+1 HS
daytonbuckeye1983's picture

His 1998 Colerain team depants us...and yes, he was absolutely nuts back then too.

+3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

The Withers hire came after a couple of misses by Urban trying to fill the position, and was the one hire that didn't really seem to fit.  Without being in a coaches' meeting it's hard to say how well he communicated with the other coaches, but the lack of communication on the field was probably the defining feature of last year's defense.  Probably not a coincidence. 

+3 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Honestly, I thought the withers hire was more of a recruiting move then anything else, he was a key cog in getting many defensive recruits to UNC and was opening OSU recruiting into the Carolina's which have been producing solid talents for awhile without having top in-state programs to stop them from being poached 

Buckeye06's picture

As I've said before, it's much easier for fans and coaches alike to jump on the team of the guy who is still around.  Last year, when things were going sour, everyone was jumping on Coombs and Fickell immediately, not EW.

Now a year later, it is all on EW. 

I will wait and be cautiously optimistic it was in fact EW, but I will not do so until I see results on the field. 

+7 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Fans were jumping on Coombs and Fickell, because one was supposedly calling the plays and the other had CBs playing 10yds off the ball. People were not unjustly jumping on them, they just assumed Fickell was in charge due to the Co-DC title. Its evident based on the spring game who is coming up with the scheme now.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I agree that they have to prove it on the field, but this gives me hope that there really are some fundamental changes in the secondary and not a lot of hot air.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

The D has been bad for 3 years and Fickell is the common denominator. That's likely why he's blamed. I'm still not sure why he was brought back.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

-3 HS
Crimson's picture

3 years ago was Heacock.  If you're going to hate on Fickell, get your facts straight.

+3 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Common denominator is the keyword.

It's very clear that I am responding to what a poster said 2 comments up. You Fickell apologists do kill me though.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

-2 HS
Crimson's picture

Call me an apologist if you like, but your comment made no sense.  The D wasn't bad three years ago; it just wasn't great.  Heacock was the head of the defense, not Fickell.  Fickell has been here since 2002, so he's also a common denominator for some great defenses.  If you're going to be part of the Fire! Fickell crowd, at least get your facts straight.

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

He's a little too subtle for my taste.....

+18 HS
OH_IO's picture

Who got that right punch to the gut?  Nice.

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I believe it was Armani. I thought the number at first was #28 but no way that's Warren Ball, too small.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
CaliforniaBuckeye's picture

I also agree with Coombs. In all of my years of playing football (Youth, High School, College) there hasn't been anytime that the CB's and Safties weren't together UNLESS it were position specific drills. Other than that corners and safties are ONE unit at all times. On the field, in the weight room, and especially in the film room. This Chris Ash hire will turn out to be a good one, more cohesion as a defensive unit, and we once again will be playing at the level of SILVER BULLETS

"The only way we'd get beaten was if we got a little fat-headed, if we didn't train right, if we had dissension on the squad." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I mentioned Withers as a possible weak link when everyone was calling for Fickell's head for the secondary sucking last year.  If the spring game is any indication of what is to come, the secondary will be MUCH better than last season, even if only from lining up and a more aggressive style of play.

+8 HS
hodge's picture

Guys, it's blatantly obvious that Fickell was behind this: sowing the seeds of discord between Withers and Coombs to cover up the fact that the defensive woes were entirely on him!!!11!1!

+4 HS
ibuck's picture

Thanks for using the s font.

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end !

If you can't win your conference, just quietly accept your non-playoff bowl game.

Crimson's picture

and the illiterate exclamation points.

+5 HS
GoBucks713's picture

#TheHashTagKing's comments about Withers makes me want to run though a wall.

-The Aristocrats!

BassDropper's picture

I think this was posted here a while back after a post practice interview, but yea, I see where the OP is coming from...sounds like communication was the biggest issue. I remember DURING the season last year Urban said that communication was lacking between the DC's.

I have always been a stern believer that Whithers was the problem. It was our DBs who sucked last year....wasnt just the corners, but the unit as a whole..which Whithers oversaw. The run defense was top 10 in the country (or close to it) and the LBers and D-Line played a huge role in that happening. It's unfortunate for Fickell that he took over that disaster in 2011. It will be very hard to change his image as a .500 coach. Casual OSU fans will always think of Fickell as the problem because they are trained to believe he is the problem. Urban has now had a chance to fire Fickell twice and he has decided to keep him. Urban is a winner and we know how much he wants to win, if he felt Fickell was the one holding the team back, then Fickell would be at FAU right now.

DIRECTIONER

+12 HS
BassDropper's picture

sorry for the Fickell rant. Didn't intent to turn this into a "not fickells fault" post.

DIRECTIONER

+6 HS
1967Buck's picture

All good BD, you said it how it happen. Go Bucks.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The defense we saw last year could certainly be explained, at least in part, by a lack of communication.  This is why I didn't jump on the "Fire Fickell" bandwagon so quickly.  Simply firing him wouldn't fix everything.  Probably wouldn't fix much of anything.

Better scheme + better communication + more Urban involvement = defensive improvement

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Great post thanks. Hopefully getting Ash in and this press coverage we'll see a lot less QBs carving up our defense.  

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

It's all starting to make sense. As bad as the secondary was last year, it vary rarely seemed like individual breakdowns. When the safeties were out of position, it seemed like that was by design if that makes sense. They were constantly battling between instinct and coaching. 

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

+10 HS
Buckeye06's picture

He gives the best speeches of anyone.  When he finishes, I feel like if you're standing in the room you want to be a Buckeye

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

We look to be moving in the right direction now. Something to get excited about.

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

I got DV to hell when coach left. Sorry but he was terrible. Proof is always in the pudding. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Anyone else just have that feel good feeling about this upcoming year? I don't know. I just always felt like we were an above average secondary away from being truly elite. The defensive line speaks for itself. The LB crew got alot of heat last year but the depth just wasn't there. I've posted it on here plenty of times, if the secondary can get it together, this defense can be a top 20 defense overall. And that spells wins. 

Also, whoever posted it above. I've got to hear one of Coach Coombs speeches, and I know the old cliche is "run through a wall" for someone.. but it's entirely true for him. It made me want to go to the gym and not leave until he was satisfied with the results. He makes you want to work harder and his approval becomes an addiction. It's crazy. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I think we all knew what part of the problem was.  It just took a little time for someone to say it.  I don't think Withers is a bad coach, I just don't think he was what we are looking for at OSU.  Got too much talent to play soft coverage and not pressure people.

Toilrt Paper's picture

As said last year. Withers NOT Fickell.

+2 HS
lvccacamcrca's picture

It does not get any better than Coach Coombs!  He is the true COOMBS BOMB!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Love Coombs enthusiasm - he's one of a kind and I am glad he speaks the truth.

+1 HS
m4's picture

Coach Coombs was  a part of that bad Cincinnati defensive coaching staff that could not stop anybody and also got torched by coach Meyer's Florida Gators in a bowl game about five years ago. Has he been part of the defensive woes the last two years?

-1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

~~
In 2008, Coombs mentored three NFL Draft picks, Mike Mickens (Dallas Cowboys), DeAngelo Smith (Dallas Cowboys), and Brandon Underwood (Green Bay Packers). Mickens was a second-team Walter Camp all-America honoree and UC's all-time leader in interceptions and interception return yardage, while Underwood was a first-team all-BIG EAST performer at safety in his only season at UC. Smith was the national leader in interceptions in 2007 with eight, and ranks second in UC history behind Mickens. The defense finished 31st in the nation in total defense (321.9 ypg) in 2008.

Coombs' first campaign as a member of the UC staff yielded instant results. The 2007 defense, led by his ball-hawking secondary, led the NCAA with 26 interceptions and 42 takeaways. That season, Coombs coached all-BIG EAST safety Haruki Nakamura, who was selected in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL draft.

One of the most celebrated prep coaches in Ohio, Coombs compiled a 161-34 (.826) record in 16 seasons at Colerain. His 2004 team posted a 15-0 record and won the state's Division I title with a 50-10 win in the championship game. Over his last seven seasons at Colerain, the Cardinals won seven league titles while compiling an 86-8 (.915) record.

Coombs' 2006 team went 13-1 and was ranked No. 1 in the final Ohio Associated Press poll and No. 18 in the USA Today national rankings.

His success at Colerain emphasized a defense he personally coached. In 2006, the Cardinals posted six shutouts and yielded just over a touchdown per game.

Coombs has mentored Ohio Division I Defensive Player of the Year award winners in 2004 and 2006, including former UC defensive tackle Terrill Byrd, who was also the national high school Defensive Player of the Year in 2004.

Coombs guided Colerain to 10 playoff appearances and seven undefeated regular-season records. The Cardinals won the Greater Miami Conference title and advanced to the regional finals of the state playoffs in each of his final seven seasons.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

m4's picture

All that is good, but still does not dispprove that the Cincinnati defense could not stop anyboby especially when it played a worthy foe, and as far as what he did at Colerain high school does not have anything to do with major college football. All of those three players you mentioned were part of the 2009 NFL draft and were drafted in the late rounds. Mike Mickens was drafted in the 7th round, Deangelo smith, 5th round, and Brandon Underwood, 6th round, and all three wound up playing for several NFL teams and all three are now in the CFL. Are they elite players? The information you posted about coach Coombs you got it from the offical Ohio State website; offical sites always tell the positives and are never critical.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Yea those UC teams were filled with mostly 2* kids with a few 3*s here or there and were overmatched when facing elite talent. Similar to our Buckeyes when JT coached here but with a lot less talent. That piece of bio was actually off of the Bearcat site. Hey you are entitled to your opinion of the man and he very much is a guy you either love or hate. I know first hand that the man is a great human being but a even greater football coach. I have never seen him use those horrible cushions and teach kids to play soft, actually he specializes in the exact opposite of what he has been forced to teach while at tOSU. The guy teaches a super aggressive in your face challenge everything but never let a guy behind you bump and run technique. I would give the guy a chance to teach the way he wants under coach Ash before passing any final judgment but it seems you may be a bit biased if you do not believe getting 3 out of 4 kids drafted off of a very talentless UC secondary is a accomplishment in itself.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
m4's picture

I actually want coach coombs to succeed. he probably is a great human being; I am not disputing that, but his coaching at OSU his first two years has not been what I call spectacular. No one knows for sure that he was being forced to play soft coverage at OSU; All I know is from seeing with my own two eyes that 2008 Bearcat team got ate up when it faced a quality team, and by the way I saw coach Meyer chewing him out several times on the side line last year. I do not know if that means a lot but it is something to consider. You have made some good points in your reply to my reply to you. Oh,both the Bearcat and OSU offical site say the same thing about him, lol.

-1 HS
Crimson's picture

I'm not really sure you're a buckeye fan when you say things like, "coach Meyers."

+1 HS
m4's picture

Crimson,

I took the s off of Coach Meyer's name in my thread above;it was a mistake on my part. You made a mistake in your comment. It should have been: I'm not really sure you're a buckeye fan when say things like, "coach Meyers". It's things, not thing.

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

You win.  I lost my Buckeye card too.

+1 HS
Calvinist Buck's picture

Being directed to this discussion from the Skull Session, I thought I would make a comment based on a reliable source.  (I am afraid there are people speculating about things without any substantial evidence.)  There appears to be a growing misconception regarding Coach Withers and his philosophy regarding an aggressive/attacking style defense.  

I am friends with a starter from last season's defensive backfield and he said the tension between being aggressive and conservative was between Coach Fickell and Coach Withers.  According to a player who actually sat in on those meetings, Coach Withers favored a more aggressive style.

Some of the speculation in this thread is without support.

+1 HS
Zimmy07's picture

It's weird that Withers took a pay cut to coach an FCS school while Fickell is still here with a change in style if that is so.

m4's picture

Coach Fickell has been with the team for a long time now as a player and a coach. His boss might demote him, but I believe he is not going to flat out fire him unless something drastic occurs.

+1 HS