Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

New Ohio Stadium turf

hetuck's picture
April 20, 2014 at 10:47am
30 Comments

Article in today's Dispatch says they are replacing the FieldTurf in Ohio Stadium even though it is only four years old. It is part of a deal to replace all the turf fields and will save $400K. They don't have to replace the base so it is relatively inexpensive. I hope as part of replacement, they restore the gray to the lettering so it looks like Ohio State and not Wisconsin. I'd like to see a return to the 60's argyle pattern as it would be unique .  

FROMTHE18's picture

Scarlet field like at Eastern Washington…boom.

TheBadOwl's picture

I'd rather see a gray field if we're going to go with crazy colors.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I hear what you're saying 18 but I will have to side with the Bad Owl on this one. My eyes would be shot by halftime.

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

EWU is the alma mater of Colin Cowherd. I don't want anything tOSU associated with that.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Kjetland's picture

The end zone letter coloring has seemed off since they changed the field surface. 

Hopefully they get in right. 

GeorgiaBuckeye2114's picture
This is what I think the field should look like. I created this in Paint. Outlining the end zone letters in white would be a good touch also.

+9 HS
Scott's picture

I like your abstract interpretation, namely that the field has five less yards between the endzones than an actual field. I would like to commission you to turn this MS Paint marvel into a real paint masterpiece.

Class of 2008

+5 HS
nikolajz1's picture

I like the red endzone better. The grey was so drab and boring. 

+1 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

I agree with Nikola.  To me the red endzones are more exciting than the green turf with gray lettering.

-1 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I just wish we would bring back the grass. I really loved the old gray lettering in the endzone. I thought it was unique. To me the gray on grass looked traditional and more college like. What we have now is pretty fancy, but looks too NFLish for my taste. I would say make the outlining on the letters a little bolder though. With the additions of Rutgers and Maryland on top of Nebraska and Wisconsin, I'd say we have plenty of "red teams" in the B1G, why not make gray our primary?

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+8 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Agreed. I so miss grass in the Shoe.
I know the field had drainage issues and it became costly to replace the turf...but hot dang I miss the old days of grass stains and the beauty of a crisply mowed Ohio Stadium.

+4 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

With the additions of Rutgers and Maryland on top of Nebraska and Wisconsin, I'd say we have plenty of "red teams" in the B1G, why not make gray our primary?

At the very least get away from the white lettering. Wisconsin & Rutgers both have red end zones with white lettering.

My preference (in order):
Grey end zone, scarlet lettering
Green end zone, grey lettering
Red end zone, grey lettering
Green end zone, red lettering (also currently used by Nebraska)

White or black trim as appropriate.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

So, how does installing new turf save $400k?  Since it was part of the deal, is it a thing where if they wait another year or 2, the cost goes up?

hetuck's picture

I think FieldTurf gave them a deal to get all the fields on the same replacement cycle. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

brandonbauer87's picture

I was on the field after the game against Wisconsin in 2011, and I thought the FieldTurf was pretty thin then. Bring back the grass. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Turf = Speed and on a rainy cold day - it would eliminate our advantage if there was grass

+1 HS
CC's picture

I totally agree.  We will have as much or more talent on the field than any team we play (hold USC in 2009), why let the weather bring the teams closer together.  See Penn State vs. LSU in the Capitol One bowl a few years ago.  That game was decided by the turf.

I love the grass but I love winning more.

Seattle Linga's picture

Well said CC - I loved your last line

Jeeves's picture

Couldn't be that Penn State was the better team now could it? 

mh277907's picture

I am fine with keeping the turf but I would much rather see the green endzones with gray lettering.

buckeyebobcat

LOVEITORLEAVEIT's picture

At first I was agaisnt the scarlet endzones but I have come around. Looks good at night games with everyone wearing scarlet, it really pops. I would however prefer the lettering was gray.

Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

Seems to me the majority of us agree we need some type of gray thrown in there somewhere. I say keep the endzones red and throw in gray lettering. Then make the block O at midfield gray with red outline....mind blown

" I'm a Buckeye "

hetuck's picture

So no scarlet and gray argyle enthusiasts? 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

Jeeves's picture

I love the argyle pattern and real grass.

m5987usus's picture

Would it piss people off if in the middle of the field we put "M Sucks" and then a block O for each 0 at the end of each yardline? lol

O-H!

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

It wouldn't piss me off ... however you pissed one person off with your comment...............so far

OSUFlash's picture

Just stick with a green field please. Colors will play havoc with my rods and cones. I can't watch any Boise games because of that F'D up blue field of theirs.

osuflash

Crux's picture

Pardon the thread dig up, welcome back April 2014. Random conversation reminded me of this thread.

I've been a long time lurker of 11w, and in my boredom of waiting for the next few weeks to go by I decided I'd play with the field color for the simple sake.. to kill time.. Yay 1st post... Go Bucks!

+1 HS
NatiBuck's picture

Thats actually looks a lot cooler than you would think a grey field would look! Can you do the turf to look like my face... Ya know cause GoBucks and stuff