Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Meyer Sends Message

LouGroza's picture
April 17, 2014 at 6:18am
103 Comments

Kirk could have taken the opportunity to just not say anything. And he wonders why he gets so many responses. Some may agree with him but more will disagree.

buckguyfan1's picture

Fuck an A right Coach!

+6 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

Is it just me or am I the only one tired of Kirk "I am an objective OSU alum and i'll say anything to prove it" Herbstreit? Why doesn't he just shut his cake-hole?

I used to really think he was a great commentator and rep for OSU, but his act is REALLY wearing thin with me.

+31 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Kirk is both a great commentator and a great rep for Ohio State. Perhaps his mistake is acknowledging the trolls and going after them. And, to be fair, a lot of people hate the "The," I am not among them, I like it, but it's not like this is a big deal at all. Nobody on campus says "The Ohio State University," they just say OSU, and nationally, people just say Ohio State. It's not like Kirk *not* saying the "The" is some egregious violation of all sacred Buckeye standards.

Besides, we can't say he doesn't love the university.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
AndyVance's picture

It's interesting how people respond to our "The." I travel quite frequently and deal with alumni from several Big Ten schools on a regular basis, and I find that the people who are most obnoxious about the THE are not Ohio State people, but people who want to bring it up and make a big deal about it as though it were some sort of running joke. It's tiresome.

The Ohio State University is the friggin' name of the university. Everyone should get over it and move on.

+22 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Right as usual, Andy. I don't really care for the "The" (well, I do like that song, "This is the Day," by the band The The). However, it only seems to be brought up either by ex-players on Monday Night Football, or by trolls. The ex-players are having fun with it, while the trolls are just trolls.

If the likes of Oklahoma State truly believed in their hearts that their school warranted being called, "THE Oklahoma State University," you can better believe that they'd slap that "The" in front of their school, too. But it's a backwater school, so they don't. Get over it.

The thing that most pisses off the trolls is that Ohio State can halfway get away with calling itself The.

+6 HS
cinserious's picture

Actually I think its a Stillwater school.

Gone ham, be back soon...

+7 HS
CGroverL's picture

EXACTLY!!! I agree with you 100% although I hate the coach of TSUN for being from the same city I am, wearing a maize and blue girdle, and calling the school simply "Ohio".  See though...here's what I tell the haters that complain about saying or writing THE Ohio State University---"There is a sign in front of the campus....and it says THE Ohio State University on it!!!"

People think that it is something goofy that fans or even a player or coach just made up one day....like Brady Hoke did when he decided to give Ohio State the same name as another school in Ohio. "Sorry, Mr. Hoke, you can't call them that name, it is already taken by a different school that happens to be in your home state...I mean, before you became a self-proclaimed Michelin er uh M*ch*gan MAN".

I should move on as well...I just can't because Brady Hoke and I are from the same city in Ohio and it makes me sick!

"I hope they're last in everything"

Thanks, Urb!

+2 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

You would think that Hoke would know that The Ohio State University is not "Ohio"....since "Ohio University" beat TTUN's basketball team in the NCAA tournament just a couple of years ago.

I guess he thinks of food so often that it slips his mind.

Go Bucks!

Xenia_Buckeye's picture

Great for Herbie...appears he's a closet Buckeye fan. Can jump around all he wants on the sidelines in 2002, but when it comes to cheering from the booth where is he then?

Come out of the closet Herbie and embrace your Bucknuts!!!

+3 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Spielman is a great commentator and doesn't mind wearing his Buckeye pride on his sleeve.  

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

That was 12 years ago. Anyway, the bigger compliant against Herby is that he's a thin-skinned diva, not so much that he's a fake Buckeye (even though it was amusing when Pryor said that).

+20 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I LOVE this pic!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

LouGroza's picture

That is my take on the comment from Herbie, why?? He HAS to like the attention or he is as dumb as his frosted tips in not thinking before he tweets. Took a special effort to send this and for what?? I think he loves OSU but he loves his job and the attention it brings to do this type of thing more.

+6 HS
thatlillefty's picture

I used to be a big Herbie fan as well and I still enjoy having him broadcast a game. I thought he and Brent Musberger were a good duo. But as you say, Xenia, it gets old hearing him go out of his way to demonstrate his objectivity by criticizing his alma mater. Why not just leave it alone? As long as he's not actively rooting for the buckeyes on air, no one is going to accuse him of being a homer. Instead, he chooses to antagonize a fan base that would otherwise love to claim him as one of their own.

That being said, I was very sad to hear when he moved to Nashville from Cbus a few years back, in part because of the large number of vocal detractors in the city. He might rub a lot of people the wrong way but in his heart, he's a buckeye. And he was good to HS football in Ohio. Remember the Kirk Herbstreit Football Challenge: Ohio vs. USA? He helped bring elite football teams from all over the country to play Ohio high schools. And those were some of the first high school games (that I can remember) to be nationally televised through his connections at ESPN. That was huge.

So I get the criticism and I wish he would tone it down. But I still consider him a buckeye, and I'm a fan.

+8 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

. . . he moved to Nashville from Cbus a few years back, [note: ALLEGEDLY] in part because of the large number of vocal detractors in the city.

I wonder why he doesn't run into detractors around Nashville? Either, UT fans are cuddly little kittens (yeah, right) or maybe he's not so been so critical toward UT and/or the SEC?

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Nashville's pretty far away from Knoxville, dude.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

tennbuckeye19's picture

3 hours in fact. But UT fans are all over the state. Trust me, I'm surrounded by orange on the daily.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Fair enough. My parents just moved to Knoxville and I've only visited them a few times. Haven't really seen much outside of that area. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Nashville's pretty far away from Knoxville, dude.

This made me laugh. You say that as if UT fandom stops at the Knoxville city limits.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
shaggybuckeye's picture

I thought that was the rule. You can only be a fan of UT if you live in Knoxville, otherwise you are a fan of the SEC. Did I get that wrong?

+1 HS
ajbosu1's picture

While I am sure the lunatic fringe in C-Bus gave him trouble there are other reasons he relocated. His wandering eye being the main one. 

+5 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Who wouldn't want to have someone like that running their football program!?!? Keep preaching Urb.. the haters are gonna hate, and the herbstreiter's are gonna work for ESPeNis..Ohio is a very football rich state, and if you don't want to recognize that, or respect that then your an idiot..

+5 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

Would have loved to hear that whole speech.

I couldn't agree more with Urban Meyer. I'm ready to strap on the chin-strap!

"The Past Builds the Future"

+3 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

I've been saying it for years, herbie sucks, he's become a watered down version of an OSU alum, and he sucks the teet of the national syndicate.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+12 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

This could have also been a shot at TTUN and their obsession with the Bobcats

Football is complicated...

+8 HS
kmp10's picture

First, I guess I'm missing the direct connection to Herbstreit's (stupid) comment and Meyer's comments. I agree, it seems like Meyer was referencing Hoke referring to Ohio State as "Ohio"… Having said that, I detest Herbstreit. Arrogant, self important loud mouth who believes that reading an ESPN teleprompter lies somewhere between curing cancer and stem cell research on the importance meter. If I were the head coach at Ohio State, Kirk Herbstreit would have absolutely zero access to the WHAC or the program, either as an ESPN representative OR a former player. Being objective is fine… going out of your way to 'poke the bear', which is what this guy does, deserves retribution. He has bad mouthed Ohio State football so much over the past several years that whatever entrée he once had should have LONG ago expired. 

+11 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

it's a shame too, I used to enjoy listening to Herbie-but now, any chance he gets to take a shot he does, and then goes on Gameday and laughs it up with the rest of the SEC lovin, Buckeye bashin crew about the mindless tOSU fanbase.

+4 HS
NitroBuck's picture

laughs it up with the rest of the SEC lovin, Buckeye bashin crew about the mindless tOSU fanbase.

When was the last time you heard about a "mindless" tOSU fan laying his junk on the passed out forehead of an opposing fan?

Ferio, tego

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Guess i should have used the sarcasm font.  Herbie and the rest of SECpn think that all tOSU fans are raging irrational lunatics who don't have the ability to reason with any idea that is against us, so they continue to purposely stoke the fire.

+2 HS
NitroBuck's picture

Oh, I was right there with you on the sarcasm.  I was just gaffing their ability to completely ignore Team SEC's warts while bashing the Buckeye Nation.  ESPN and CBS excuse SEC lunacy as "they are just more passionate fans", yet Buckeyes get ripped over far less.  I hate the media double standard.

Ferio, tego

Furious George 27's picture

I love how "The" in front of Ohio State is so arrogant, yet the repeated playing of hail to the victors is no big deal. I guess when you lose as much as *ichigan  does nobody cares.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+9 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I would suggest that chanting "SEC" after winning would also fall into this category.  But not arrogance, that's just conference pride, and conference pride is very different from school pride.

+13 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Meh, it's their fight song. Not a big deal at all.

I honestly don't care if Kirk doesn't like the "The" because honestly, people around here rarely use it anyways. I always just say OSU or Ohio State.

If someone asks where you went to school, there's no reason to not just say "Ohio State." The whole "The Ohio State University" thing is great for branding and for Monday Night Football player intros. I like it, I really do, but I don't really think there are very many reasons to throw it around all the time.

+8 HS

To say that "The" is more arrogant than TTUN's fight song is what I was driving at. I do not hear many people say "The" OSU often except for MNF and Broadcasters. I like the fact that people take pride in their school, no one is stoping any other university or player from doing the same.

+3 HS
lsjSnail's picture

EXACTLY. If anything, the people who use the "THE' part the most are the ones who dislike OSU. They always bring it up, very very very rarely does someone I talk to ever say "THE."

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

Right on George. Arrogance is in the eye of the beholder, it seems.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I'm officially off the "defend Herbie" wagon.  The guy has let everything he has worked for go to his head.  He is now nothing more than a talking head.

+8 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

The "THE" is an integral part of the official name of the university. How could you drop a part of your name? How would "Kirk" feel if someone dropped the "K" from his first name and called him "irk"?

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I guess his name would better describe what he does to some Ohio State fans. 

+7 HS
Ashtabula's picture

He might prefer that to dropping the r for a c.

FROMTHE18's picture

Herbie is such an ass clown these days…Eddie Georgie is how I want out ex players to feel and act towards OSU. Would love it if GameDay came to OSU and fans booed herbie, he's dug his own grave with the majority of the fan base. 

+6 HS

He is doing what ESPN does best which is troll OSU fans to get a response and the love from the haters. The Winston/Rape case article yesterday was not even on the main page yet Miller's insult of michigan attendance and OSU's spring practice were still up.

+7 HS
toad1204's picture

I went to find it, it was buried in their ACC lunch links.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

Keep throwing it down coach! O-H-I-O!!!

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I'm glad Urban realizes that Herbstreit is an asshole.  Herbstreit calling something 'pompous, and arrogant'?  I will be in the front of the line to heckle the shit out of this clown----IF he has the balls to even show up at an Ohio State game.  F Herbstreit, and F ESPN. 

-1 HS
thatlillefty's picture

If you show up in the front of the line just to heckle Kirk Herbstreit, then you are the clown.

-6 HS
SilverState's picture

Seems like what Kirk tweeted is being taken out of context. He's for using "The," just not emphasized in a pompous manner.

You can still say "The" in a way that exudes respect/confidence for the University and what it represents.

+2 HS
LouGroza's picture

It should be said looking at the floor, shoulders slumped, in a low tone, while fumbling with folded hands in a nervous, very intimidated manner. Then it is OK?  Good Lord.

+7 HS

LOL, The only people that really empasize it are the butt hurt trolls that call it arrogant.... Perhaps Herbie should also let us know how long we should say the word "The" so as not to sound pompous. Classic back peddling on his part.

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I think it's more taken out of context than it is back-peddling. 

I would agree had he had said that in the first place and not in response to someone.

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

Personally I really don't care what Herbstreit says. Some people think he's a troll or a bad representative of OSU. I don't. He's the host of college gameday, the biggest college pregame show in the nation. Do you know how many kids come in playing football that want to go into sports broadcasting? A TON. How many schools can claim their alum is a host of that show? Not many. Herbstreits entitled to his opinion like anyone else. If I agree with what he says great, if not doesn't directly effect me. Remember he's a buckeye at heart. 

+1 HS

There is having an opinion on gameday and then there is going out of your way and making remarks that do not pertain to football which he has done some many times which have been negative. I generally dislike him for what he says outside of his gameday platform.... In the end its pretty pompous and arrogant to dictate the proper way to use the word "The."

+4 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

I don't think I've heard anything coming out of his mouth other than shots at OSU recently. I don't know how you can say he's a Buckeye at heart when he's taking shots across the OSU bow so to speak?

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

If he's not a buckeye at heart why would he bring his boys on game day with osu jerseys on to let the whole nation see how biased he is? It's hard to be neutral sometimes, but I give him props he tries his best. He's allowed to have an opinion about how people say "The Ohio State University". Do I agree with him? Hell No. Do I think he's any less of a Buckeye because of his opinion? Nope.

-1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

If he's not a buckeye at heart why would he bring his boys on game day with osu jerseys on to let the whole nation see how biased he is?

To serve as human shields.

+1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

I can't pull up what meyer said, because my work computer isn't allowed. Can someone fill me in on it?

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

Hovenaut's picture

The...(wait for it)...offseason sucks.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Kirk's been tainted by ESPiN

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

This whole topic is dumb.

+6 HS
toad1204's picture

YAY OFF SEASON!!!

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+5 HS
Son of Sevenless's picture

All of the major offseason topics have now been covered: Diamond formation for next season, throwing to the tight end next season, two QBs on the field at the same, favorite alternate jersey, and ESPN and Herbstreit sucks. The only thing missing is Spring Game receiver hero, and that is because no one caught any passes.

hawkins.326's picture

I get as angry as the rest of you about Herbie's obvious bad mouthing of tOSU and glorification of ESPN's SEC agenda, but I'm always taken back to a story I was told by one of my good friends that was briefly on the football team during one year of spring practice. Tressel invited Herbie to come into the locker room a few weeks before the spring game and Herbie told an impassioned speech (and cried) about how much he loves the university and how much it hurts him to constantly talk down about the B1G and tOSU on Gameday.

This was years ago, and I agree he's gotten much worse over the years (I'm guessing Musburger rubbed off on him a little too much), but I firmly believe Herbie still loves the Buckeyes, no matter how often he acts like an ass on national television.

+1 HS
OSUFlash's picture

I must be The biggest moron for actually reading this entire thing.

osuflash

+13 HS
causeicouldntgo43's picture

All this over Herbie making a comment? For Chrissakes, he's a Buckeye, former Buckeye QB, and a nice counterpoint to the Des-mond. Rather have another former SEC jock- clown calling games? Save your hate for TTUN, Bert, the "Little Nicky and Lane" show, and any asshat who chants "SEC-SEC-SEC".

+5 HS
clogan1032's picture

Don't feed the trolls people, grow some thicker skin and stop letting every single thing bother you so bad and this will dissipate.  So what, the guy thinks it is pompous to say "The" prior to Ohio State University.  I get it, I don't think it is pompous, but the emphasis is always on the word "The" which does at times sound arrogant.  I understand it is the actual name of the university but I can see his point.  No need to get all up in arms over it.  The guy is an unbiased broadcaster and does in fact love Ohio State and Ohio State football.  It's his job and I think he is very good at that job.  Don't really understand why so many people on here lose their minds over him.  

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

The OSU is cool, but if you pronounce "the" like "thee" then it does sound kind of arrogant.

+3 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

Except when pronouncing 'The' prior to a word with a vowel, it is pronounced as 'thee'...so I guess we're arrogant due to rules of grammar.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

teddyballgame's picture

I've also heard people really put emphasis or stress the "thee" part.  That's probably what realy makes it give off the arrogant vibe. 

It's only a small number of people who are taking advantage of "the" and making it do something for which it was never intended...

southbay's picture

It's only a small number of people who are taking advantage of "the" and making it do something for which it was never intended...

I think that's correct.  If it is former OSU players now playing in the NFL who do that when introducing themselves at the start of a Sunday Night Football game, then perhaps they have earned the right to do so.  A little school pride.

There are other situations where it probably would sound arrogant.  I wouldn't recommend it during a job interview.

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Kirk Herbstreit thinks emphasis on "The" in the university's name is arrogant.  I think Kirk Herbstreit is a douche.

+6 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Bottom line is that Herbie is a 3rd generation Buckeye CAPTAIN. I happen to like the man. IMO, his biggest problem is that he tries way too hard to go after the Buckeyes and the B1G, to avoid the perception that he is biased. Trust me, he wants the Buckeyes to win. He surely does, just watch his tweets and what he says during basketball season. However, covering football for the Black Hole in Bristol is his job, and he wants to maintain an allegedly impartial reputation in his coverage of the sport.

You will never convince me that a guy that bled Scarlet and Gray for such a long time all of the sudden switched horses. I don't necessarily disagree that the "The" can come across as arrogant. However, I also agree with Coach Meyer, in that Herbie could, and probably should, have said absolutely NOTHING.

P.S. - Gameday is the only thing on ESPN that I still watch. I watch it for what it is: Opinions and attempts at entertainment. There's is still something to be said for how many former Buckeyes work at the Black Hole, as well as how often they have either visited The Shoe or games in which OSU is playing.

Buckeye83's picture

I completely agree with you. It's his job to remain neutral.  If he was a baseball analyst he would be bashing the Reds from time to time even though he's a huge fan.

+1 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

How come he is the only one who tries to be "objective" when all of the Meatchicken and $EC announcers are free to be homers. I'm not giving Herbie a pass on this when it is apparent you don't have to be "objective".

+5 HS
BuckeyeStrong2's picture

THE Kirk Herbstreit... Fake Buckeye.

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

The fact is that there is no reason to criticize this unless you are trolling. He must get a bonus to do this so many times a year. This nothing more than butt kissing to his superiors.

+1 HS
JasonR's picture

Perfect response from Urban. I'm not a Herbie hater by any means but I'd say coach just put him in his place.

+1 HS
Osubuckiii's picture

Per the Ohio State Library.

Why are we called "THE" Ohio State University"?

In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.

However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:

"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"

Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio.

+2 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Dear moderators: I would ask that someone needs to simply make this a permanent sticky on the forum (maybe sources can be confirmed to make this a part of FAQ lore)

as an aside of this topic... I remember during school days in the 90s that we all said "OSU"  or if anyone asked where we went to school, almost most everyone just said "Ohio State". Then one day, I forget who, but it may have been Joey Galloway, they were showing introductions by position and I believe he smiled and said, "THE Ohio State University".  To give this context, we were in an era where Penn State had just joined the B1G where "WE ARE" chants seemed prideful and we had been hearing "The U" since the 80s about Miami, and to top it all off, we couldn't be so proud because of a certain coach who happens to be my handle.  Put that all together, and we now have 3 great reasons to love Urban's message:

1. Historical rationale (sources to be verified ;)

2. No Brand of Mediocrity is anything to be proud of:

Kirk, grow a thicker skin - you can be a good analyst, but if you want to show objectivity, use your college education to see point 1 before responding on twitter and feeding the trolls

Cooper gave us no reason to be as proud as we could be despite having such great teams.  He couldn't win the most pride-instilling or crushing game each year

3. Progress is rightly demanded (by Urban):

He is a father who wants the best for his son.  He is a coach who wants to have more of the Ohio brand of football that he is so proud of.  He is a leader who pursues excellence - not mediocrity.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

OSUnathen's picture

I like Herbie and respect him for his work calling games but calling OSU arrogant for use of " THE " is just plain arrogant in itself. Sometimes his efforts to distance himself from his Alma Matter so that he doesn't come off as bias is just plain annoying sometimes. 

+1 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

Can't believe Herbie's girlfriend hasn't come on here to defend him yet.....usually he's here right away if anyone criticizes ol Herbie

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

NotCincy is right about everything he says.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

bleedscarlet's picture

So the "THE" annoys trolls and Herbie... all the more reason to use it more often

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS

"If someone wants to make fun of that school in Columbus, Ohio, and not use the right name of the school, I've got a problem with that," Meyer said. "That's not right. That's right, this is The Ohio State University. This is the great state of Ohio, where football started.

"I'm going to ask one favor. Be very proud of Ohio. When you talk about Ohio football, have a little bow in your chest. This is Ohio high school football. This is The Ohio State University. We have a lot of pride. Ohio State is one of the strongest traditions in America. Don't go poking fun. Just be careful where you go. There's a lot of proud people, and I'm one of them from Northeastern Ohio who remembers what this is all about.

"Be proud of who you are, where you're from, and what we all stand for."

As others have mentioned, that statement appears to have nothing to do with anything Kirk said but quite a bit to do with a certain coach up north.

+1 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

Maybe, but the statement is appropriate for both of them.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+1 HS

I think JBook was just trying to grind his own ax.

Art Harrell's picture

Herbie is evil. Hokie is a fat dumb slob,Go Bucks."HOME OF THE WORLD FAMOUS-------->

The Ohio State University Buckeyes

-1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Long live The Torg!!!  Piss on Giggling Desmond Howard, and piss on Kirk Herbstreit.

+3 HS
script-ohio's picture

I don't think he goes out of his way to badmouth OSU.  He gives his opinions and honestly, if it isn't all scarlet & gray then some OSU fans get butthurt.  Time after time through the years he'll make a comment and I'll think to myself "that's fair" or "Yep, I agree", or just take no special notice of it at all,  then I see some thread about it with people on message boards complaining about how he's not a Buckeye and this and that.  To me it just looks like butthurt whining because his opinion doesn't match your biased one.

On "the" topic, I really don't care.  I don't personally say "The" Ohio State University and I rarely if ever hear any of my friends say it either.  Whatever.

Arizona_Buckeye's picture

I've been a Herbie fan since day one and still am!  He's made some idiotic statements but who hasn't?  He is a Buckeye through and through and in the end - that matters!

The best thing about Pastafarianism? It is not only acceptable, but advisable, to be heavily sauced

-1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

The Kirk Herbstreit can kiss The Barney69's ass.

Go Bucks.

I am a modern-art masterpiece.

NitroBuck's picture

I take pride in the fact that Ohio State has contributed several former players to sports broadcasting, Herbstreit included.  I have long though Herbstreit has overcompensated in his effort to maintain objectivity by being more critical of his Alma Mater than he needs to be.  Quite frankly, I have still not forgiven him for the thrashing and trashing he and the rest of the ESPN broadcast crew laid on the Buckeyes during the Alamo Bowl several years ago.  They were so busy calling for heads to roll that they completely missed what was happening on the field.  I recall Corso saying "hey, how did Ohio State get the ball?" about 4 plays after our D recovered a fumble.  That broadcast was as absolutely unprofessional as any I have ever seen, and Herbstreit was a part of it.

That said, I'd still rather have a flawed Herbstreit in such a primo position than another pro-SEC hack like David Pollack.  I just wish he could remain objective while still showing pride in his school.  Clark Kellogg does this very well.  Why can't Herbstreit?

Ferio, tego

+1 HS
kyo's picture

I'll never forget sitting in a restaurant with a friend of mine that graduated from Marshall and my parents. He was going off about how OSU fans always use the word 'we' when talking about the team and how ridiculous it is that we always say THE Ohio State University. My Dad looked at him and said, "didn't you have a movie called WE Are Marshall?" He had nothing to say after that.

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Again, for the 1023480294th time, it is the FORMAL NAME OF THE SCHOOL.  It is The Ohio State University, not "Ohio State University" or "University of Ohio State" or "State University of Ohio" or "Ohio A&M" (at least not since like 1880 or so) or "Ohio".  Even if it sounds arrogant, it is the name of the school.  Even if it is arrogant, people need to just get the fuck over it and find more important things to complain about.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Well, yeah, it's the official name, but Penn State's official name is actually The Pennsylvania State University. 

I'm not even saying that it sounds arrogant, I'm just saying that other schools have the "The" but they don't use it. I pretty much exclusively say OSU or Ohio State. It's a lot simpler. And I've noticed that both are much more commonly used than "The Ohio State University."

Not saying that there's anything wrong with it but I really can't get all defensive over something that I rarely say anyways.

I also think there's a bit of a straw-man perception nationally where people think that OSU fans are going around saying "OMG ITS THEEEEEEE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY"  but that's not as prevalent as other fans think it is. It exists (I know a kid here who has OSU novelty plates that just say "THEEEEE" and most people think it's incredibly douchey, even my fellow students). 

jamesrbrown322's picture

It IS the University of Ohio State according to this guy

+1 HS
libera's picture

Many Schools have 'The" as part of the name including: The University of Texas, The University of Montana, The University of Utah, The Citadel, The George Washington University, The University of Akron, The Findlay College and many others. Using "the" is not pompous or arrogant: it is correct usage.

jaxbuckeye's picture

First, I think the "The" in front is freaking awesome and ingenious. Every other school wishes they thought of it first. Regarding Herbstreit, I think people are a little rough on him. I've heard Spielman say some ridiculous things too. I've also heard Kirk go to bat for the school on a number of occasions. Name one analyst/announcer that you agree with 100% of the time. I think some tOSU fans are holding him to ridiculous standards. The fact is, he is really good at what he does and is recognized as such.  That means he does high-profile games. He would look like an amateur in his profession if he was an overt homer.  It cannot be easy to separate your career from your school, so I think people need to get off his back. NO ONE, not even Meyer, is going to please you all the time.  So, relax!

+1 HS
LouGroza's picture

Get what you are saying Jax, but being a non-homer sportscaster does not mean going on twitter to send out something like this that will knowingly cause issues with many from your alma-mater. Herbie needs to take the opportunity to shut up. Why do this? He can continue with on air innnuendo if he needs to prove he is not a homer. Seems he makes an effort to go too far with stuff like this at times.

jaxbuckeye's picture

I agree with you on this one. A total head scratcher for him to even comment on it. At this point, I give up defending him. Haha!  He should know he can't win that battle. Hell, I can't win when I piss off people on this site, let alone the entire buckeye nation. I guess some people can solve world hunger but lack the ability to tie their own shoes. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

I think it's the emphasis that bothers people. Many players when they would say the school names on MNF would say, "The University of Georgia, The University of Florida, etc." However, it was really during Eddie's time, late 90s on, that I remember players emphasizing THE Ohio State University.

Honestly, back then, there was not as big of a backlash against OSU, so people didn't say much, because it just sounded like sour grapes. Now, since the current incarnation of the team and the entire fanbase and student and faculty bodies are held responsible for two subpar (well one really bad, and one somewhat respectable) appearances in the national title game, OSU has become everyone's target.

I am still holding out hope for two SEC teams to make the playoffs and OSU beating them BOTH to win a title. That will shut most people up, or at least make them just look bitter for saying anything.